Challenge Trophy

PSX_Trepie

Well ive done it, with the inspiration of @chickenbaltipie throughout the game (by not giving me any tips lol) i can gladly say that this wasnt as hard as i thought it will be, i guess it all comes down to - do you see the solution right away or not.  If you can thats good if you cant i found out that if you fail a certain puzzle delibarately you will get a new one if you repeat the previous puzzle again (sorry if i repeat something that has been said before), so.my suggestion is if you cant see the solution fail the puzzle quickly, go back to the last one and then redo the new one, most times itll be quicker than actually trying to solve the initial puzzle you got

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/30/2017 at 2:59 AM, barakmh said:

Well ive done it, with the inspiration of @chickenbaltipie throughout the game (by not giving me any tips lol) i can gladly say that this wasnt as hard as i thought it will be, i guess it all comes down to - do you see the solution right away or not.  If you can thats good if you cant i found out that if you fail a certain puzzle delibarately you will get a new one if you repeat the previous puzzle again (sorry if i repeat something that has been said before), so.my suggestion is if you cant see the solution fail the puzzle quickly, go back to the last one and then redo the new one, most times itll be quicker than actually trying to solve the initial puzzle you got

This doesn't look that difficult compared to the hair pulling stuff I've seen in the game so far but I could be wrong.

On 22.5.2017 at 8:34 AM, CuteBoringLove said:

after a lot of hard puzzles which i kept messing up at the 2 pillars at the end i got this set of puzzles, everything just clicked, even located the maze puzzles quickly and managed to do them in record time for me. this game was a good challenge for me. at some point i will move to the talos principle which is now burried in my huge backlog

On 5/23/2017 at 7:31 PM, barakmh said:

after a lot of hard puzzles which i kept messing up at the 2 pillars at the end i got this set of puzzles, everything just clicked, even located the maze puzzles quickly and managed to do them in record time for me. this game was a good challenge for me. at some point i will move to the talos principle which is now burried in my huge backlog

Did you get lucky? I see no tetris puzzles, lol. The only hard thing imho

• 2 weeks later...
On 25.5.2017 at 10:10 PM, CuteBoringLove said:

Did you get lucky? I see no tetris puzzles, lol. The only hard thing imho

i did have one at 1:48, i thought the tetris ones were easy, i hated the pillar puzzles and the ones with the yellow triangles in the maze.

just goes to show you how different our minds work.

dont know about luck byw since the puzzles are random, as i said everything clicked and the answers (lines) just popped to my head.

i also did it live streaming with people watching and it felt like i have more responsibility towards them LOL

On 6/4/2017 at 7:49 PM, barakmh said:

i did have one at 1:48, i thought the tetris ones were easy, i hated the pillar puzzles and the ones with the yellow triangles in the maze.

just goes to show you how different our minds work.

dont know about luck byw since the puzzles are random, as i said everything clicked and the answers (lines) just popped to my head.

i also did it live streaming with people watching and it felt like i have more responsibility towards them LOL

The tetris one must have gone by so fast I didn't notice it. I realize every challenge has one, but some are way easier than other.
I got some really lucky RNG and ended up beating the challenge after hours of attempts myself.

It's at 38:00, I do edited long-plays sometimes and recorded the entire area. Forgot to do a video for just the challenge itself. lol

Edited by CuteBoringLove
link didn't work

• 2 months later...

I just completed this yesterday after trying on and off for two days. 

The only piece of advice I have is personally I have a really bad memory so I played the challenge room with my smartphone in my lap and when it came to memorizing the invisible maze route from the table top maze I would take a quick photo everytime. That was my single biggest hurdle because of my shit memory.

• 2 months later...

To summarize, the Challenge Trophy is impossible unless you grind away for days (perhaps weeks if you're not as skilled) practicing all the hundreds of different possible puzzles, hoping and praying that you get extremely lucky RNG.  I would estimate 75%+ of the people who completed the Challenge did so prior to the patch, when they were able to stop the game via the rest-mode exploit, then use pictures, graph paper, take their sweet ass time, drink some coffee, eat a sandwich, etc., then resume the game with no time off the clock.  So now the entire Challenge and Platinum trophy has been tainted for everyone.  If you got it pre-patch, it's a joke.  If you got it post-patch, you're now lumped in with the people who exploited.  Hey Blow, either don't allow the exploit in the first place, or leave it in so that everyone is playing by the same rules.     

1 hour ago, Narniak said:

Hey Blow, either don't allow the exploit in the first place, or leave it in so that everyone is playing by the same rules.     

I've never seen any game go to such lengths from day 1 to stop you from pausing a game. It's clear to me that Blow didn't want cheaters from the get go. Do you really think that he built in or neglected a known exploit when he published it?

To anyone still struggling:

Here is the guide on this site:

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/6249-the-witness-trophy-guide

And here is one example of a youtuber explaining it in even more depth:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got it without any maze aids and despite using walkthroughs in the second half of the game so not actually learning the theory. Got a really lucky run with easy tetris/multi-colour square and yellow triangle puzzles so took advantage of it. The two pillars at the end were complete guesswork but thankfully if you get them wrong you don't have to re-enter the last puzzle. Delighted to be done with it, was beginning to think I'd never get it.

Good luck everyone and just keep practising, I learned some of the basics just from mistakes in this challenge.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to give some advice about this trophy.

• Start the record and run to the panels, standing back enough that all three are in frame. This allows for a quick transition between panels. Have your cursor ready for the circle to appear in the first panel.
  • IF you happen to mess up on the first 3 panels, most likely with the third one (which happened to me), I would highly suggest restarting. You REALLY want to make it past part 1 and part 2 (the table) within the first 30 seconds.
  • If you can screenshot the table, that is a good help for the maze later.
  • If you get stuck in part 3 (the four grids) after the second or third puzzle, it might be just best to restart. Honestly, a smooth part 1 (first 3 panels), 2 (table), and 3 (4 panels) is one of the big keys.
  • For part 4 (one right, two wrong), try looking for the one with the biggest/most groups. Ones with too many solitary pieces away from each other is usually impossible (emphasis usually).
  • For the maze, if you want a cheat, use this website: http://witness.webcrow.jp/ ... just remember to reload the page after the first puzzle.
  • For the pillars, do the one that is most difficult for you personally. For me, it was the B/W squares, since I generally "got" the other pillar concept.
  • Finally, I highly recommend you are in the maze, or at least beginning it, when movement 2 of the song begins. If you have an "easy" maze and use the site I mention above, it will hopefully give you enough time to complete the pillars.
  • Actually, one final suggestion: If you find the music distracting, mute it.

Good luck! This is a hard one until you get "lucky" with puzzles that quickly click for you. Keep at it ... it took me about 2 hours of gameplay to get it, but YMMV.

Edited by George_McBain
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Finally beat the challenge and honestly find it easier than a lot of the game before it as it was a lot more focused on what was required and you could always restart with an easier set of puzzles.

There's a great set of videos on YouTube called the challenge speed run guide by RDBJellyfish which explains key patterns to look out for in all of the puzzle types. He also has a video where he speed runs 20 consecutive challenges averaging just over 2 mins a challenge. Found it really useful to watch that trying to solve the puzzles as he went through it. 

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, VoidVictorious said:

How bad is this now that you can’t use the exploit?

Depends. If you play the game without a guide, then by the time you get to the challenge you should be familiar with the puzzle types and if you know what each part of the challenge wants from you, you should be able to get it fairly quickly. 

I'm confident that if you use a guide you're gonna have a hard time with the challenge. 

Edited by Arcesus7
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Arcesus7 said:

Depends. If you play the game without a guide, then by the time you get to the challenge you should be familiar with the puzzle types and if you know what each part of the challenge wants from you, you should be able to get it fairly quickly. 

I'm confident that if you use a guide you're gonna have a hard time with the challenge. 

Did you play it pre-patch or post-patch?

5 hours ago, VoidVictorious said:

Did you play it pre-patch or post-patch?

I'm not sure what patch you mean, since I wasn't aware of any explots. Googling I found this statement: 

Prior to the game being patched you could cheat on the puzzles by taking a screenshot and then putting your PS4 into rest mode. Then you could then solve the puzzle and reopen the the game. With patch 1.02 the rest mode cheat no longer works.

If this is what you mean, I didn't use this. I just played the challenge as intended without pauses or screenshots until I got it, which took around 1.5-2 hours, I believe. I don't remember this being all that difficult, except figuring out how to solve the labyrinth part ?

Did any patch change anything in the number of puzzles or time limit for the challenge otherwise?  

57 minutes ago, VoidVictorious said:

It removed that exploit.

If that's all, then I stand by my initial statement. Anyone that plays the game without a guide and gets this far shouldn't, in my opinion, have too much trouble with this challenge. :) 

Edited by Arcesus7

1 hour ago, VoidVictorious said:

It removed that exploit.

If you want easier time with the challenge, i would recommend to take a photo of the finished labyrinth puzzle to have the road in the labyrinth easily accessible. Other than that just perservere and you will get.

53 minutes ago, VoidVictorious said:

How do you do that without losing time?

You will lose let's say 5 seconds, which is (in my case) much less than i would lose in the labyrinth (i could not for a life of me remember the path). Just have a mobile ready or if you live with someone, ask them to do it for you. I got the trophy once i started with this method (well, it still took about 5 tries).

• 1 month later...

Shoutout to all the people who are gonna check this thread out cuz it's free on PS+ and get they booty kicked by this.

I got all the other trophies in 5 days, and then it took me a 1 year, 8 month, and 1 week hiatus before completing The Challenge. Good luck to everybody who goes through this hell not knowing what they're getting themselves into (then again I may just be exaggerating a bit how difficult this is)