PSX_Trepie

Challenge Trophy

178 posts in this topic

The Challenge is not that difficult, it's just that you're pressed against time. The actual puzzle presented during the challenge are all pretty easy to get through.

For people who use a walkthrough to play through the whole game without understanding how the puzzles work, well they will have a tough time doing the challenge.

I used a guide to get through the game but still learned how the puzzles worked. The challenge really kicked my ass though. Had to practice for hours before I got a lucky run; more or less because some of the puzzles that I kept getting were freaking impossible to solve.

Also keep in mind that when you attempt the challenge, you have about 6 1/2 minutes and DON'T PAUSE THE GAME! It will reset your run completely.

Unless that's what you were trying to do. 

I can get through the maze and to the final two pillars with anything up to a minute left on the clock but I'm so stuck now, I can't even finish one pillar... I've watched videos, tried drawing it out on paper but I can't get my head around it. Any tips from anyone at how to approach them?

Hey just beat this so hear is some advice.

1. Try to distance yourself from the puzzles especially the first 3 because you can trace faster when you are father away.

2. Take a picture of the second puzzle before solving it and after solving it so you have the locations of the triangle puzzle and the solution to your maze.

3. The next six puzzles are going to be the deciding factor if you have to restart or not. If you get stuck on any of these puzzles for longer than 30 seconds just pause and go back to he beginning.

4. For the pick 3 out of the black and white squares look for the pattern of

wb

bw

if you see that that means you cannot solve that puzzle it has no solution.

5. For the pick 3 of the colored blocks look for the puzzles that have

g

p

or 

g

p

or the opsites of those. If you see this pattern the puzzle has no solution.

6. Follow your pictures for the maze and use this website http://witness.webcrow.jp/ to solve the triangle puzzles. All you have to do is click on the squares to add triangles and just make the puzzle look like the one in your game. To quickly put the website back to a black grid hit refresh so you can quickly solve the second puzzle.

7. The last room is about speed. If you mess up in this room on a puzzle don’t worry because the puzzles don’t reset in this room.

thisis about the best advice I can give. Good luck to anyone trying to do this.

Started The Witness yesterday. I like what I see. Really intrigued about the Challenge.

On 10.03.2019 at 1:51 AM, Giuliano_Takasu said:

Yeee, i got it

pvf3UNU.jpg

Congrats!

Omg I finally did it.It really was pain in the ass.That last part was the hardest part for me.This game is such a bait for a platinum :D

jutslu.png

I stand by what a few others have said. If you follow a guide for the entire game you're going to be in a world of hurt. If you play most of the game on your own, only looking up tips when you're truly stuck, this isn't that bad. Think it took me around 1.5 hours or so to figure it out. 

Posted (edited)

On 3/9/2019 at 10:28 PM, junior107 said:

I can get through the maze and to the final two pillars with anything up to a minute left on the clock but I'm so stuck now, I can't even finish one pillar... I've watched videos, tried drawing it out on paper but I can't get my head around it. Any tips from anyone at how to approach them?

Ok so just got it, took me quite few tries. The pillars are actually super easy. On the left one with the black dots don’t cross over the middle as you will block yourself, just snake back and forth on your way up to the top. And the right side is trickier because the line starts opposite as well, but just split the black and white squares as you curve upward, here don’t go back and forth or up and down too much, you‘lol block yourself. I actually only made it to the pillars twice before I completed it. That’s all I got

Edited by cam_wick
Typos

8870B7F1-A796-46DD-B2E5-0DA38C4CABB6_zps

Just completed this 😀 Took a while.

Some hints:

• Spoiler

• I figured out that if I'm not in the maze when the second half of the music starts then there's no point in carrying on, so start another run.
    • If you mess up on any of the puzzles before the maze then you may as well start again.
    • The first 3 puzzles are very simple and can be done very quickly.
    • With puzzle 4, I took 2 photos on my phone, one before planning the route showing the dots and another after the route had been made
    • Puzzles 5-8 are relatively simple but I came unstuck on the tetris puzzle mainly. If I couldn't see the solution right away I started over
    • Puzzle 9 and 10 offers no real trouble, stay away from single dots and try and see large groupings. The first half of the music should still be playing upon solving these!!
    • The maze... This website helps big style http://witness.webcrow.jp/  … Refer to your photos taken and solve the puzzles using the site
    • Finally the pillars.. Took me ages to even solve one but I figured out that my weakest pillar was the left one so I saved it til last. Do a 360 around the right side pillar and its simple. Left side the dots are easily missed, I don't mind admitting to having a bit of luck with that one! Just go for it, you'll have a few close calls then BINGO!!

Hope this helps and good luck ☺️

3 hours ago, Hemiak said:

I stand by what a few others have said. If you follow a guide for the entire game you're going to be in a world of hurt. If you play most of the game on your own, only looking up tips when you're truly stuck, this isn't that bad. Think it took me around 1.5 hours or so to figure it out. 

Interesting. 

This looks to be a RIME/Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture/Dear Esther type of deal. May pick this up.

6 hours ago, Spaz said:

Interesting. 

This looks to be a RIME/Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture/Dear Esther type of deal. May pick this up.

It's not quite like any of those except MAYBE Rime, but The Witness is MUCH better.

Be aware, there is almost a complete lack of narrative in The Witness. What is there is very subjective.

This is a game for puzzle-lovers moreso than a one for gamers.

8 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

It's not quite like any of those except MAYBE Rime, but The Witness is MUCH better.

Be aware, there is almost a complete lack of narrative in The Witness. What is there is very subjective.

This is a game for puzzle-lovers moreso than a one for gamers.

From what I have seen it is more akin to Myst.

1 minute ago, VoidVictorious said:

From what I have seen it is more akin to Myst.

Yes the eerily-quiet and lonely tone is similar to Myst. The puzzles are better in The Witness I think.

Just done it. Took around 6 hrs. Its definitely doable , you just need that lucky RNG. I noticed when u get the maze puzzle 1st in the 4 random puzzle section , u get a good RNG for puzzles in my experience.

Welp looks ill never be able to beat this game fml unless someone shareplays for free probs no one but if u do wanna add my ps4 C_a_n_u_e_v_e_n

Its so frustrating that you cant even pause the game as this resets the Challenge Run, and need to start over... lol

I will beat this soon, i hope!

Just got the trophy and the platinum, I found it interesting that even though the challenge is definitely tough I never wanted to give up, I always felt like I was getting quicker and more efficient at solving the puzzles so I believed 100% that I would get there eventually and I did after about 5-6 hours. You definitely need luck on your side, particularly when it comes to the maze and the pillars at the end but as long as you keep practicing it's very doable and boy does it feel good when you finally have that perfect run :)

shaneyboy619.png

Posted (edited)

Infinite time glitch

Probably to do this glitch you have to solve last triangle puzzle 3sec after music stops then appears lag/freeze and after that you should have infinite time in last room - pillar puzzles.
I was in last room around 36m and still got trophy & platinum. Music stoped at 6:36 but pillar puzzles were still active.

Edited by ZoKu08

4 hours ago, ZoKu08 said:

Infinite time glitch

Probably to do this glitch you have to solve last triangle puzzle when music stops then appears lag and after that you should have infinite time in last room - pillar puzzles but I'm not 100% sure.
I was in last room around 36m and still got trophy & platinum. Music stoped at 6:36 but pillar puzzles were still active.

Was this a fluke or can you pinpoint exactly what you have to do for this glitch? Also what version were you playing on?

18 hours ago, VoidVictorious said:

Was this a fluke or can you pinpoint exactly what you have to do for this glitch? Also what version were you playing on?

Played normal to maze there I solved last triangle puzzle 3sec after time was over then appered lag/freeze and in last room I had infinite time you can watch it in clip above from 6:30 to 6:45. Latest version, ps4 pro

7 hours ago, ZoKu08 said:

Played normal to maze there I solved last triangle puzzle 3sec after time was over then appered lag/freeze and in last room I had infinite time you can watch it in clip above from 6:30 to 6:45. Latest version, ps4 pro

Was it a one time thing or were you able to recreate it?

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, VoidVictorious said:

Was it a one time thing or were you able to recreate it?

I did it once because I got platinum after challenge and then deleted game and saves

Edited by ZoKu08

5 hours ago, ZoKu08 said:

I did it once because I got platinum after challenge and then deleted game and saves

Ok, so this is not a confirmed exploit. Hopefully someone can recreate it.