Regale your hardcore efforts

Sir_Bee

• 3 weeks later...

Attempt 1: made it to end of chapter 5 and made my first save just before the cutscene with the tripod.

Attempt 1 continued: made it to chapter 10 and made my second save onboard the issumira just before the two brutes, died in decontamination room chapter 10.

Attemot 2: Died in decontamination room again in chapter 10.

Attempt 3: made it to chapter 12, died just before drill section (walked into drill while it was being rotated by mistake)

Attempt 4: made it to chapter 13, made my final save just before rotating laser room. Continued on and managed to beat the game.

Played it very safe and planned everything out. Was very difficult but not as hard as what I thought it would be.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2014 at 7:30 PM, Canek said:

I took no chances; I had the Super Nova Pack, so I got the Forged Engineering Suit for free, along with a lot of weapons. Then I followed this guide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWll1ERd0SY

With that I got a lot of power nodes, enough to completely upgrade my RIG, my stasis module, my Plasma Cutter and my Force Gun. With the power nodes found during normal game play I upgraded my Contact Beam and my Pulse Rifle (I'm comfortable with it). In other words, I had basically a full upgraded RIG/weapons combination from almost the very beginning of the game. Also; there is a way to sell power nodes: you just fully upgrade a weapon, and then sell it again. You get about 5,000 for them (and they cost 10,000), but with the infinite power nodes glitch is a great way to make credits. Also, if you have the Super Nova Pack, you can "buy" the Detonator for 0 credits, fire its 3 included mines, deactivate them, and sell them. It's a slow, but sure way to get money.

I first saved at the end of Chapter 5, which was a good thing, since I immediately died in the confrontation with the tripod after Daina's betrayal.

Then I suffered like 3 or 4 deaths in the dive from the Solar Array in Chapter 7, which was incredibly frustrating, but I was set on not saving until Chapter 10, which I finally did. From there it was relatively easy, until I got nervous and I saved lastly at the beginning of Chapter 13, just before entering the Government Sector. Again it was a good thing, because I died like 3 times going down.

Then it was eye needle time, but I got it easily; I just did it really slowly. Afterwards there were a couple of close calls in the zero G part, but I just blasted everything with my Force Gun and a ridiculously large amount of ammo and four large med packs, until the last battle. With my Pulse Rifle already maxed out it was easy to take out evil Nicole and the Marker's heart, and the Force Gun just blasted away the Pack.

Finally, I had a moment of panic, because I thought I messed up the flying towards the Gun Ship; but I think you actually need to make an effort to fail that part. I didn't failed it in any of the playthroughs.

It was insane. Even with all the advantages I took (the Super Nova Pack, the infinite power nodes glitch), it took me around four days to get the platinum. But it's a really gratifying plat.

Very good and detailed post. I don't even care that this was made 5 years ago.

I find the Force Gun to be a tremendous help on the Pack during the last boss battle, but the Contact Beam is a life saver.

The Plasma Cutter really starts to lose it's effectiveness by Chapter 13, especially in the area where you have to fight a bunch of elite Necromorphs, Pukers and of course those frustrating Exploders. There is a elite Brute at the bottom that you have to fight, so that entire area can get hairy.

The Ripper is also extremely good, especially when upgraded. There's about six weapons (Plasma Cutter, Detonator, Pulse Rifle, Force Gun, Contact Beam and Ripper) that help throughout the entire game.

The Line Gun is powerful but has a low ammo capacity and the Line Racks are expensive. The Seeker Gun is too slow, the Javelin Gun doesn't help as much as you think, and the Flamethrower is so so.

Zealot difficulty pissed me off in a few places, so I wonder how Hard Core is going to fare.

• Like 1

Wow, these posts reminded me of Dead space, and all the good time, such a shame for a great franchise to be lost forever. 

RIP Visceral, it won't be long now.

As for Hardcore 2, be careful of the stupid exploders and their ridiculous explosion range, as well as the Pukers.

I believe using the weapon you're comfortable with, would be the best approach, used mainly the ripper, while a friend of mine used the javelin gun. 

Well now, excuse me, going back to steam to play me some Dead Space (No longer have a PS3). 

• Like 1

This was 1 of the hardest games I've done on hard mode me and my gf both have a saying if we could do ds2 hard mode we can do anything. I died alot but it was from my own stupidity. But my gf kept running into unfair bugs like she would get super far get on an elevator and fall through the floor to her death. Or kill an enemy and it somehow while in prices kills her once she heads away from it. Or a personal favorite gravity shuts off and she just floats out of the room into space it was just bad

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

???????

(hides backlog)

Haven't played the dead space series yet :x

I have a 12% completion, I am an absolutely horrible gamer, I only play easy games,, I own more games than I finish, nothing I have done so far is difficult, everything I do isn't enough for top 1,000 gamers in the world, I don't have enough platinums, I don't know why I call myself a gamer, I will never be able to satisfy the needs of gamers as my account is a horrible atrocity, why do I even play video games? I'll never be able to live up to the average player, I guess I'll stick to my Mayo games and just be a casual gamer with mediocre skills.

Now that this is out of the way, you can browse my account knowing that I am fully aware of what a failure I am and how awful it is that I exist in the gaming world for daring to play games in a community where only the elite can be a gamer.

I live in a sick world where I have attempted to game but unless I do every 0.01% platinum I can't dare say i've done anything worth noting so idk why you bother with such a trash player such as I.

Maybe one day I be good enough to be called still shit by these wonderful elite gamers. I aspire for approval of elitists and

Jesus christ, I just read your whole signature thinking it was your post for this thread.

Why the hell does this site let you write fucking spam paragraphs in the sig? Giant animated images too, this shit is unprofessional

Edited by QQQ_AX

Somehow I died FIVE TIMES in the first chapter. Probably because my guy wasn't in his iconic Engineer Suit and he was a crippled man running for his life.

Death #1: Died just seconds after first taking control. Ran past the first column on the right and got killed by a Slasher.

Deaths #2 - 4: In the room after you first use Telekinesis, there are three Slashers that invade from above. I managed to get through this section on Zealot difficulty without dying, but stupidly I decided to do the same for Hardcore. Died three times before I decided to use the rods to kill the Slashers.

Death #5: When first using Stasis after you do the hacking. Died to the Slasher going after me.

====

Played for over two hours but managed Chapters 2 - 4 without a single death. Saved on Chapter 5. Not the ideal first save but I don't want to take chances.

I'm calling it a night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Somehow I died FIVE TIMES in the first chapter. Probably because my guy wasn't in his iconic Engineer Suit and he was a crippled man running for his life.

Death #1: Died just seconds after first taking control. Ran past the first column on the right and got killed by a Slasher.

Deaths #2 - 4: In the room after you first use Telekinesis, there are three Slashers that invade from above. I managed to get through this section on Zealot difficulty without dying, but stupidly I decided to do the same for Hardcore. Died three times before I decided to use the rods to kill the Slashers.

Death #5: When first using Stasis after you do the hacking. Died to the Slasher going after me.

====

Played for over two hours but managed Chapters 2 - 4 without a single death. Saved on Chapter 5. Not the ideal first save but I don't want to take chances.

I'm calling it a night.

By the sound of it you should probably consider the duplication glitch in the linked video. For the record, the glitch is somewhat flimsy in the way it works, and by the time I successfully did it I had gotten sick of the first chapter. So I would probably suggest foregoing the money and only duplicating the power node until you have about 90.

Then use your 1st save immediately at the start of chapter 2, cause trust me, if you take as long as me you don't want your one successful try to go to waste.

I then proceeded without dying and placed my 2nd save at the end of chapter 7, right before you exit into the void and have to align the panels, because I was afraid I would die in the instakill flight part. I never once failed that part in any of my playthroughs, but I was lucky that I decided to place the save there, because the fight right after caught me completely off-guard with how the necros just laughed at my maxed out upgrades.

I died several times in between my 2nd and 3rd save. This was a long time ago so I don't exactly recall how, but I believe it was mostly on chapter 9. After I successfully got through 9 I never died again, even though I came really close to it several times on the Ishimura. For instance I didn't realize that the enemies had more health than on Zealot, and only brought 4 ammo for the big gun, which was enough to kill the 2 brutes at the start on Zealot, but left me scrambling on Hardcore.

I placed my 3rd save down in the mines right before the fight in the elevator ride. I died many times there on Zealot, but somehow made it through untouched on Hardcore. Then proceeded to somehow go through the rest of the game with no failures at all. I even had an exploder burst almost right on top of me, and left me with a sliver of health so tiny that I couldn't see it and thought that the knocked down Isaac was dead. I spent all of my money and filled my inventory with large med packs for the last boss fight. The difficulty difference from Zealot also took me by surprise there, but I made it through by just spamming the heal button whenever the shades would surround me. I used the long range rockets whenever the marker would open up, and the gun that does the knockback AoE around you with its alternate fire to get a short reprieve from the shades.

For the final flight section, I didn't want to risk it, paused the game and opened a video on youtube to have the safe path completely memorized.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NamoPh said:

By the sound of it you should probably consider the duplication glitch in the linked video. For the record, the glitch is somewhat flimsy in the way it works, and by the time I successfully did it I had gotten sick of the first chapter. So I would probably suggest foregoing the money and only duplicating the power node until you have about 90.

The first thing I did was completely max out my RIG. Doing that made the difference in surviving that hectic train wreck fight at the end of Chapter 2. Otherwise I would of died and had to start all over.

Weapons like the Plasma Cutter and Contact Beam are good to max out in, but you have the option to get all your nodes back at the bench to put into other weapons. I find the Plasma Cutter to be rather useless starting from Chapter 13 onwards.

19 minutes ago, NamoPh said:

Then use your 1st save immediately at the start of chapter 2, cause trust me, if you take as long as me you don't want your one successful try to go to waste.

I took a chance to get to at least Chapter 5. Anything earlier would of been too soon. Depending on how many times I die I may place my second save either on Chapter 9 or the beginning of Chapter 10, before you run into the Ishimura Brute.

20 minutes ago, NamoPh said:

I then proceeded without dying and placed my 2nd save at the end of chapter 7, right before you exit into the void and have to align the panels, because I was afraid I would die in the instakill flight part. I never once failed that part in any of my playthroughs, but I was lucky that I decided to place the save there, because the fight right after caught me completely off-guard with how the necros just laughed at my maxed out upgrades.

I never once died in that part. Definitely one of the more cinematic moments in the game.

21 minutes ago, NamoPh said:

I died several times in between my 2nd and 3rd save. This was a long time ago so I don't exactly recall how, but I believe it was mostly on chapter 9. After I successfully got through 9 I never died again, even though I came really close to it several times on the Ishimura. For instance I didn't realize that the enemies had more health than on Zealot, and only brought 4 ammo for the big gun, which was enough to kill the 2 brutes at the start on Zealot, but left me scrambling on Hardcore.

Hard Core is supposed to have the enemies on Survivalist difficulty, while the drops are comparable to Zealot.

28 minutes ago, NamoPh said:

I placed my 3rd save down in the mines right before the fight in the elevator ride. I died many times there on Zealot, but somehow made it through untouched on Hardcore. Then proceeded to somehow go through the rest of the game with no failures at all. I even had an exploder burst almost right on top of me, and left me with a sliver of health so tiny that I couldn't see it and thought that the knocked down Isaac was dead. I spent all of my money and filled my inventory with large med packs for the last boss fight. The difficulty difference from Zealot also took me by surprise there, but I made it through by just spamming the heal button whenever the shades would surround me. I used the long range rockets whenever the marker would open up, and the gun that does the knockback AoE around you with its alternate fire to get a short reprieve from the shades.

For the final flight section, I didn't want to risk it, paused the game and opened a video on youtube to have the safe path completely memorized.

The key is to run and stasis through Chapters 14 and 15. One tough fight is the room before the zero gravity area in Chapter 14, died there a bunch on Zealot due to poor planning.

I died once on the flight section but I think you really have to try to die there. Once you do it's a facepalm :facepalm: moment.

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

I never once died in that part. Definitely one of the more cinematic moments in the game.

I never died in that part either, but the save turned out to be a lucky one regardless, cause I died in the fight in the powered down lobby right after.

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

Hard Core is supposed to have the enemies on Survivalist difficulty, while the drops are comparable to Zealot.

I read that before starting Hardcore too, but it is absolutely not the case. The enemies definitely have more health than Zealot difficulty, and I verified that both against the brute on Ishimura I mentioned and the final boss, with the exact same weapon. Expect the big enemies to take more hits than they did on Zealot or you're in for a nasty surprise.

10 hours ago, NamoPh said:

I read that before starting Hardcore too, but it is absolutely not the case. The enemies definitely have more health than Zealot difficulty, and I verified that both against the brute on Ishimura I mentioned and the final boss, with the exact same weapon. Expect the big enemies to take more hits than they did on Zealot or you're in for a nasty surprise.

That’s why you abuse the Power Node exploit and buy the Supernova DLC Pack.

9 hours ago, Spaz said:

That’s why you abuse the Power Node exploit and buy the Supernova DLC Pack.

As a rule of thumb I will use any advantage at my disposal, but I refuse to pay money for one. I generally only buy DLC that are needed for the 100%, unless there's a package that's a better deal. I think I started hardcore with Weller's weapon, though it was only really relevant for the start of the game.

DAY TWO:

Sadly, made no progress today.

Deaths:

#6: The killer. Died in the space freefall section after you align the solar arrays. Did not know there was a giant piece of debris after you go through the tube.

#7: Died to a Puker shortly after the first save point in Chapter 5.

#8: Died in the big room in Chapter 6 where two Pregnants and no less than four - five Leapers charge you.

#9: Stupidly used my Plasma Cutter on a Cyst thinking I was safe, only for it's bomb to hit directly at me and take out nearly all my life. In the preschool/kindergarten area, I stasis an exploding sack that the babies have. I didn't recognize there was a school desk in my way and on to my death.

#10: Died by a closing door after you have to use zero gravity to go up in Chapter 5.

Here's a tip for anybody who is playing this game on Hard Core. Don't fucking continue to play after you lost two - three hours of progress.

DAY THREE:

No deaths so far, but I decided to save in Chapter 8 before the zero gravity section where you're having to navigate through the grinders.

I know I should of waited until Chapter 9 or 10 before I make my second save but those grinders have killed me more times than I care to admit.

Going to be a stretch from Chapter 8 to Chapter 13, which is where I plan to make my final save.

I'm going to say fuck this game for a long while and move on to another game.

Too many deaths for me to bother posting on this thread. In short, the Ishimura ship is a bitch to get through especially if you saved rather early like I did and you have to spend a good 20 - 30 minutes just to get back there.

And since I messed up the Power Nodes glitch I'm going to have to start over again from scratch when I come back.

Shame. Thought I was going to get this platinum by Friday - Saturday.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I'm going to say fuck this game for a long while and move on to another game.

Too many deaths for me to bother posting on this thread. In short, the Ishimura ship is a bitch to get through especially if you saved rather early like I did and you have to spend a good 20 - 30 minutes just to get back there.

And since I messed up the Power Nodes glitch I'm going to have to start over again from scratch when I come back.

Shame. Thought I was going to get this platinum by Friday - Saturday.

Dont give up!?

I gave up on this trophy a long time ago and your posts have been inspiring me to go back to it, if you give up there's no hope for me!

As the above poster said, don't give up yet, you already made it to ishimura, even without the node glitch, it is doable, I did it twice without even knowing about the glitch (once on PC), and I have to say, never have been satisfied with any other trophy ever since (well, maybe Akumu), relaxing while playing through Hardcore, or having a friend with you will make it easier somehow.

A friend of mine, asked me to tag along while playing Hardcore (both the 2nd and 3rd game), and it made him ease his tension, he did use the glitch though, and insisted on saving in the 2nd chapter immediately after using the glitch, even though I urged him to wait till the 5th at least. 

Really, really good times

27 minutes ago, hsn963 said:

As the above poster said, don't give up yet, you already made it to ishimura, even without the node glitch, it is doable, I did it twice without even knowing about the glitch (once on PC), and I have to say, never have been satisfied with any other trophy ever since (well, maybe Akumu), relaxing while playing through Hardcore, or having a friend with you will make it easier somehow.

A friend of mine, asked me to tag along while playing Hardcore (both the 2nd and 3rd game), and it made him ease his tension, he did use the glitch though, and insisted on saving in the 2nd chapter immediately after using the glitch, even though I urged him to wait till the 5th at least. 

Really, really good times

Well I was pissed when I made the post because I lost hours of progress. So maybe this weekend I'll come back, if not then a week or two. I just need a break for now.

The real problem starts when you get those 'enhanced' Necromorphs. I can deal with the regular Slashers, regular Leapers, regular Pukers, and so on. But once they get stronger I start to have issues.

Never had a problem with the Pack, the babies with the exploding sack, or the fat ugly dudes stuck to the wall that automatically kill you if you get close.

So I think next time I'm just going to keep abusing the node glitch until I have around 99, then use them all on the Ripper, Contact Beam, RIG and Stasis. I drop the Plasma Cutter starting around Chapter 9 or 10 because at that point it simply can't kill those 'enhanced' Necromorphs quickly enough. Detonators are a godsend against Stalkers. 

39 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Well I was pissed when I made the post because I lost hours of progress. So maybe this weekend I'll come back, if not then a week or two. I just need a break for now.

The real problem starts when you get those 'enhanced' Necromorphs. I can deal with the regular Slashers, regular Leapers, regular Pukers, and so on. But once they get stronger I start to have issues.

Never had a problem with the Pack, the babies with the exploding sack, or the fat ugly dudes stuck to the wall that automatically kill you if you get close.

So I think next time I'm just going to keep abusing the node glitch until I have around 99, then use them all on the Ripper, Contact Beam, RIG and Stasis. I drop the Plasma Cutter starting around Chapter 9 or 10 because at that point it simply can't kill those 'enhanced' Necromorphs quickly enough. Detonators are a godsend against Stalkers. 

Keep in mind that performing the glitch will also glitch a few sections early on in the game. In the room where the necromorphs break out of the washing machines, and your first encounter with the exploders, you'll be left there waiting for an attack that will never come and a broken door that waits for you to defeat the attack.

The doors should open anyway after a few minutes, but if you wanna be pre-emptive, a potential solution that has been suggested, but did not work for me, is to pick under 90 power nodes and only pick the next one after the notification for the previous one has faded away.

Elite necros are indeed tough, especially the elite pukers, for the elite slasher i tend to cut one of it is claws using kenises and then use it to cut the its second one or at least impale it to a wall or something, and it worked well for me, since i upgrade kenesis and stasis as much as possible, stupid pukers are a different matter though, usually hurling whatever ammunation and weaponery you have at them may stop them somehow.

But as you said taking a break may encaurage you to tackle this mode later on.

I died in the Medical Sector last night to a Elite Necromorph after I killed around three Leapers and two other Necromorphs. He basically crept up behind me, but the killer was I simply ran out of stasis. I stupidly kept using the Ripper’s primary attack instead of the secondary. Using the secondary shoots out a spinning blade which helps if you need to kill from a distance and against charging enemies. 

Starting over, I’m going to make my first save around the solor arrays and make my second save around the Ishimura. Hopefully just before the drill ride in Chapter 12. Third save will be the eye poke machine or just after that.

Edited by Spaz

On 01/03/2019 at 9:23 AM, Spaz said:

I died in the Medical Sector last night to a Elite Necromorph after I killed around three Leapers and two other Necromorphs. He basically crept up behind me, but the killer was I simply ran out of stasis. I stupidly kept using the Ripper’s primary attack instead of the secondary. Using the secondary shoots out a spinning blade which helps if you need to kill from a distance and against charging enemies. 

Starting over, I’m going to make my first save around the solor arrays and make my second save around the Ishimura. Hopefully just before the drill ride in Chapter 12. Third save will be the eye poke machine or just after that.

Following your efforts closely mate as this game is on my 2019 to play list.  Looking forward to a tough challenge!

* and I check your profile and see you already have it! Congrats! 

Edited by chiino82

On 2/28/2019 at 3:05 AM, jonesey46 said:

Dont give up!1f62d.png

I gave up on this trophy a long time ago and your posts have been inspiring me to go back to it, if you give up there's no hope for me!

Its never too late to go back. It took me almost 6 years to complete this game. You should give it another go. I watched an entire play through ahead of time on hardcore to help prepare.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StuGunn5 said:

Its never too late to go back. It took me almost 6 years to complete this game. You should give it another go. I watched an entire play through ahead of time on hardcore to help prepare.

Already got Hard Core. Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1