Disappointing game, will it get better?

rockstarjazz

edit: no longer a disappointment! it got better after chapter 1 now i'm enjoying it :)

-

original post:

i know i am somewhat late to this party, but i just started on this game last night as it's been sitting in my backlog of games for awhile.

oh boy, is it a disappointment.

the controls are clunky, isaac takes up too much of the screen, the monsters lack variety, it's not entirely clear where you should go, nor is the story made clear. maybe the age of the game's showing? its certainly not 'scary' but then neither is any game or film these days.

anyone else remembers playing this game, or is playing it at present and if so, can you say this will get better as i progress through the game? i am on chapter 2 currently.

Edited by rockstarjazz

This is one of the best survival horrors out there (although i do prefer 2). The weapons and controls are 'clunky' as you say, so as to heighten the suspense imo, so it all adds to the fun factor in the game.

Enemy variety and intensity will go up, but this is not an action game, it is the waiting and the wondering what's round the next corner that makes this so great...

So give it some time before you judge it, it will get much... much better! :)

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of the survival horror genre much, but I loved this game (and the series altogether). The controls beat the heck out of the tank controls used in the early Resident Evil games and other older games in the genre. Personally, I think it had the right amount of pacing and build up. Like someone else already stated, this is not meant to be a fast paced third person shooter even though it has a few elements of that genre. If that's what you're looking for, it may be worth sticking with the series and playing the third game. Dead Space 3 definitely switches gears completely and is more of a third person shooter than a horror game.

FYI - The reason why the camera is zoomed in so close to Isaac is so players can more easily see the status output of their RIGs. I began this series early last year and the best way to experience the game (IMO) is to play late at night, completely in the dark, with a pair of really good headphones turned all the way up. I played the majority of the way through this and the second game this way and it made it 5X scarier for me vs the handful of times that I didn't.

Edited by merciful84
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know I am a little late to this post, but here is a link to my review of the game. 

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/31986-retro-review-dead-space/

I greatly enjoyed this game, although I do share some of your sentiments on it (the controls being one of them). The sequels truly do improve vastly upon the original, although this one still remains one of the best horror experiences on the market.

I know that dead space 2 is the best one in the series, but to me personally dead space 1 is the best.

so far after platinum I replayed DS 3 only 2 times. I quit halfway on my 3rd playthrough..

DS 2. four times! before my friend borrow the game.

DS extraction. six times.

DS1 I lost count, but I believe I played through it more than 9 times, thinking of re-install it and play it again soon when I don't have new games to play.