How to Play Helldivers Properly - A Guide for Those Who Struggle

TheYuriG

This is an amazing guide, lots of information, you should do a gameplay guide or something, besides not agreeing with the killing your teammate... That is ridiculous, this is a co-op game, unless you're playing with level 10 or below there is no logic apllied when you're killing a teammate; sometimes he's wait for a stratagem or going after a sample the others might have missed.

Being reported "means shit" though. If you're reported often you'll be playing with other players with a lot of reports too, which is problematic.

The reason why I'm saying this is that I don't want to join a game and some Helldiver starts killing of teammates for no reason at all.

• Like 1

There "aren't" weapons better than others

Well, from my experience, justice and tesla towers ruin the games difficulty. Also the Sickle which is dlc is pretty damn strong. Patriot is better than justice for the cyborgs, and breaker is ok too, the sniper gun is nice too since it stuns, good for party's mostly. Also the best advice I can give in this game, is hold the L3 button, don't sit there trying to kill everything, basics 101. I found the rest of the guns pretty garbage.

Another edit : Jump packs!

Looks like a nice guide I'm sure new players will appreciate it, good work with the colors and bold, love how you made it :o

Edited by Tomoko Kuroki
  • Like 1

...Should've made it an actual gameplay guide imo :ninja:

This is an amazing guide, lots of information, you should do a gameplay guide or something

Rules needs to be followed in a gameplay guide, I can't use certain words and if I see something too polite, I get too bored. I would do one, but doing my own thing, I don't need to set it to any standarts other than my own.

besides not agreeing with the killing your teammate... That is ridiculous, this is a co-op game, unless you're playing with level 10 or below there is no logic apllied when you're killing a teammate; sometimes he's wait for a stratagem or going after a sample the others might have missed.

Being reported "means shit" though. If you're reported often you'll be playing with other players with a lot of reports too, which is problematic.

The reason why I'm saying this is that I don't want to join a game and some Helldiver starts killing of teammates for no reason at all.

Read again, I've clearly said that teamkilling is necessary sometimes. As you said, this is a coop game, if we are getting swarmed and 3 of us are trying to run the fuck away and there is one guy staying behind killing as much as he can while holding our camera from fleeing, he deserves death. The group more important than a single individual. At no moments I've said that you can kill your teammates for no reason.

Laser guns are the best guns.

Well, from my experience, justice and tesla towers ruin the games difficulty. Also the Sickle which is dlc is pretty damn strong. Patriot is better than justice for the cyborgs, and breaker is ok too, the sniper gun is nice too since it stuns, good for party's mostly. Also the best advice I can give in this game, is hold the L3 button, don't sit there trying to kill everything, basics 101. I found the rest of the guns pretty garbage.

I tried using the Scythe (LAS-5, not sure if is the same weapon, my game is translated), but I didn't like it because it didn't suit my gameplay method (its father does suit it though). I see a lot of players using it though and it deserves recognition. Tesla tower is quite easy to destroy by the big enemies and it's extremely uneffective against Illuminati, it's more a barrier than a turret.

PS: Found the weapon you said, it's the LAS-16, part of the support kit DLC. I'll list all the DLC OP guns as well, MG-105 Vigorous, AR-14D Paradigm, LAS-12 Tanto and AC-5 Arc Shotgun deserve mentions too.

No need to hold the button, just pressing it once everytime you need suffices. Also opened the thread saying that you should always be in the move toward the next objective. Engaging firefights in the middle of nowhere is as useless as [insert].

• Like 1

I would say one of the most important thing is that if you are the host don't drop in right beside an objective.  Cuz you just know that a mission is going to go bad when you drop in and are immediately surrounded.  Also make sure you have some kind of anti-tank stratagems in your loadout because nothings more annoying than seeing someone with 3 or 4 mech units in their loadout and none of them are upgraded.

• Like 4

Reinforce (reviving): 150px-Reinforce_code.png?version=bea9a9a You press every dpad button for this one. You start with up because it's an Orange stratagem, then do the opposite which is down, then do right (because doing left now is wrong), then the opposite which is left, then you press up again. 

In five words. Roger, negative, move, wait, roger.

• Like 2

One more edit done, I think now I'm only missing a section about recommended weapons and a little "Am I Playing This Game Wrong?" NABQ. Should be done pretty soon when I have another oportunity to use the PC again because hell no I'm not doing this shit through the phone, it's beyond painful to paint all this shit using BBCODE.

Yeah... Move, move, move! Don't stand there and try to kill everything. Kill enemy patrols before they raise alerts. Basics of Helldivers. Solid stealth execution trophy was put in there for a reason. that's how you are meant to play the game.

In five words. Roger, negative, move, wait, roger.

Added.

This is an amazing guide, lots of information, you should do a gameplay guide or something, besides not agreeing with the killing your teammate... That is ridiculous, this is a co-op game, unless you're playing with level 10 or below there is no logic apllied when you're killing a teammate; sometimes he's wait for a stratagem or going after a sample the others might have missed.

If you never played Magicka, you won't get the gist of friendly fire. It's Arrowhead we're talking about. There's a reason FF is always on in Magicka and Helldivers: You may be able to save a friend, say, that is completely dry, by killing him ASAP and then have another party member with a reinforce in hand for a quick resupply, instead of waiting for the resupply stratagem.

In Magicka, you may want to combine opposing beams to create a blast that hurts anyone in the vicinity, then have another wizard with resurrect ready to be cast, or someone throwing healing bombs. 

Have to agree with all the stuff there. Maybe except for the guns because I still haven't progressed too far.

If one of your team doesn't comply for more than 5 seconds, and believes he/she is Rambo when everyone should be running, you must kill the dude. Sad truth, but noobs will screw the entire mission, especially in the higher diffs when most of the time is running and running.

Boss Battles are a great example of this.

Nice job Yurig, however I'll have to go and confirm about the weapons and stratagems for myself later on. I've read in some forums about Justice and Breaker being the top and so and so.

• Like 2

Have to agree with all the stuff there. Maybe except for the guns because I still haven't progressed too far.

Nice job Yurig, however I'll have to go and confirm about the weapons and stratagems for myself later on. I've read in some forums about Justice and Breaker being the top and so and so.

Which part you mean for the guns? I don't remember going much in depth about guns yet, mentioned the lazor and the railgun so far. I will still make more edits when i get the PC for the weapons and the NABQ. For weapons, i would like as much feedback as it's possible to be given by everyone because i just used a few guns from the arsenal. Unsure if I'm eligible to talk about the best and worst if i didn't use all of them myself.
  • Like 1

Which part you mean for the guns? I don't remember going much in depth about guns yet, mentioned the lazor and the railgun so far. I will still make more edits when i get the PC for the weapons and the NABQ. For weapons, i would like as much feedback as it's possible to be given by everyone because i just used a few guns from the arsenal. Unsure if I'm eligible to talk about the best and worst if i didn't use all of them myself.

Your loadout doesn't matter. Your skill does. Doesn't matter if you are level 50 and stay behind, killing enemies. You are going to get surrounded eventually and get wiped. There "aren't" weapons better than others, all weapons can get the job done if used properly. A level 1 player can outskill a level 50. Leveling up doesn't make you stronger, neither increase stats. There aren't stats to increase, this is not a RPG. Every mission is independent from another, what will guarantee your success or doom your mission is your teamwork and your teamwork alone. Play with coordinated people (or by yourself) and you are going to breeze the missions. Play with headless chickens and you are going to struggle the simplest objectives. Highly recommend not playing with anyone lower than 15, they are mostly trigger happy people (exceptions if they are people that can follow your directions).

Srry for the late answer, got called to do something.

Here, you state that all weapons can get the job done. Right now I'm not the best person to offer feedback, due to the lack of weapons I've tried too. However I have found the Breaker to be overall better at handling all 3 races compared to the first rifle (forgot the name). Even so, it requires a bit more skill in aiming in order not to get your teammates in the crossfire. So it has pros and cons.

When I get to try a lot more weapons I'll post my thoughts more concrete over here, cool?

Edited by Lord_of_Ra
  • Like 1

You mean the initial shotgun? My game is translated, names are different for me. I used that one most of the game, switching to rail gun for insects and the arc gun when i unlocked it. I would appreciate any and all gun input. Reason why i said that is because the combat won't be handled by yourself most of the time, but by turrets or distractors. I found the rifles better to wipe the scouts due to higher rate of fire, personally, but worse to kill the bigger enemies.

• Like 1

You mean the initial shotgun? My game is translated, names are different for me. I used that one most of the game, switching to rail gun for insects and the arc gun when i unlocked it. I would appreciate any and all gun input. Reason why i said that is because the combat won't be handled by yourself most of the time, but by turrets or distractors. I found the rifles better to wipe the scouts due to higher rate of fire, personally, but worse to kill the bigger enemies.

Yes, the initial shotgun, and sure, I'll dive a bit into some gun's perks and determine (in my opinion) which ones are the most handy to upgrade completely asap, and I'll share that here.

I see, I got confused when you said that haha. I agree with the rifle part, experienced it by comparing first rifle to the shotgun in-game xD

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

'The "im struggling pls help" beacon'

That floored me! As soon as i saw that i knew it was gonna be a good read.

The only problem ive had so far with the game when it comes to playing with randoms is whenever someone put the game to a grinding halt by calling in a max upgraded UAV. Now half the team wants samples and the other half want the objective.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've platted this game and I'm usually able to ace lvl 11-12 missions solo(except retaliatory strikes).

So far here are my thoughts/tips:

1-The "Trident" is definitely one of the best guns available due to the great firepower and the fact you don't have to reload makes it all the more worth the points.

2-Distractor Beacons, EXO Suits and a defense stratagem are one of the best loadouts you can have for high difficulty missions. My personal best is 2 Distractors, 1 EXO and 1 Railcannon Turret/Normal Turret (depends on which race you're facing). All fully modified and you'll be acing 7-10's without trouble and 11-12 with some hassles depending on how quick you react to patrols.

3-Cardio is the best perk available for any mission (even for snow if you don't have all-terrain boots). The ability to run non-stop on a game which spawns infinite enemies that give no in-game benefit in killing whatsoever should speak for itself.

4-The best thing you can do in lvl 12 missions is run (hence why I stress the importance of Cardio). Stay on a spot for too long and you'll be massacred. As soon as the objective is clear, run the hell away from there so patrols don't close in to you.

5-If you're spotted on a difficult mission and don't have the necessary resources to counterattack, abort whatever the heck you're doing and run away. If its a defense objective the only ones that will most likely be destroyed will be the missile launches. Not worth getting killed for a few hundreds of EXP.

6-Don't throw distractor beacons to a land far, far away. Patrols will spawn and be drawn to the nearest signal. If the beacon is having the time of its life on deserted area in Tatooine, who else remains with that signal? It's better to throw them when you're a few meters away from the objective.

Also, DO NOT throw a distractor beacon on the opposite direction of the last one used when you're on an incomplete objective. For example:

0-New beacon.

A-Objective-You

X-Used beacon.

All that myriad of patrols will follow the next signals available. The patrols DO NOT disappear until a few minutes later, so they will come for you.

7- When you have been spotted on lvl 10+, run around the map non-stop. All reinforcements will disappear and everything will be back to normal. Some exceptions to this rule include certain Illuminate like Invisible ones and the council members with shields.

8- Cyborgs are the worst race to battle. Perhaps it was just a glitch of mine, but their patrols on lvl 11-12 were mostly huge ass tanks that couldn't be killed normally. When alarms triggered it was hell on wheels...literally.

9-First of all, focus on getting all stratagems with the help of randoms and see what can suit your play-style.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra
  • Like 2