How to Play Helldivers Properly - A Guide for Those Who Struggle

TheYuriG

• 5 months later...

I've platted this game and I'm usually able to ace lvl 11-12 missions solo(except retaliatory strikes).

So far here are my thoughts/tips:

1-The "Trident" is definitely one of the best guns available due to the great firepower and the fact you don't have to reload makes it all the more worth the points.

2-Distractor Beacons, EXO Suits and a defense stratagem are one of the best loadouts you can have for high difficulty missions. My personal best is 2 Distractors, 1 EXO and 1 Railcannon Turret/Normal Turret (depends on which race you're facing). All fully modified and you'll be acing 7-10's without trouble and 11-12 with some hassles depending on how quick you react to patrols.

3-Cardio is the best perk available for any mission (even for snow if you don't have all-terrain boots). The ability to run non-stop on a game which spawns infinite enemies that give no in-game benefit in killing whatsoever should speak for itself.

4-The best thing you can do in lvl 12 missions is run (hence why I stress the importance of Cardio). Stay on a spot for too long and you'll be massacred. As soon as the objective is clear, run the hell away from there so patrols don't close in to you.

5-If you're spotted on a difficult mission and don't have the necessary resources to counterattack, abort whatever the heck you're doing and run away. If its a defense objective the only ones that will most likely be destroyed will be the missile launches. Not worth getting killed for a few hundreds of EXP.

6-Don't throw distractor beacons to a land far, far away. Patrols will spawn and be drawn to the nearest signal. If the beacon is having the time of its life on deserted area in Tatooine, who else remains with that signal? It's better to throw them when you're a few meters away from the objective.

Also, DO NOT throw a distractor beacon on the opposite direction of the last one used when you're on an incomplete objective. For example:

0-New beacon.

A-Objective-You

X-Used beacon.

All that myriad of patrols will follow the next signals available. The patrols DO NOT disappear until a few minutes later, so they will come for you.

7- When you have been spotted on lvl 10+, run around the map non-stop. All reinforcements will disappear and everything will be back to normal. Some exceptions to this rule include certain Illuminate like Invisible ones and the council members with shields.

8- Cyborgs are the worst race to battle. Perhaps it was just a glitch of mine, but their patrols on lvl 11-12 were mostly huge ass tanks that couldn't be killed normally. When alarms triggered it was hell on wheels...literally.

9-First of all, focus on getting all stratagems with the help of randoms and see what can suit your play-style.

Thanks for the input, hope you don't mind if I add a couple of these to the guide tomorrow, specially the trident info since that's the new to-go weapons. Released soon after I made this guide and just a few days before I left the site too. What did you use EXOs for? I my stratagem set change each month pretty much, I'm running 2 fires and 2 slow-mos atm, nothing else. Used to run the beacon, 1 Nuke and 2 distractors before.

• 5 months later...
On 28/4/2017 at 10:13 PM, DARKB1KE said:

Is there a way to check stats, like number of kills? 

Yes, there is. At your ship, go to the screen panel/monitor where you can upgrade your weapons and stratagems, change tabs with R/L until you get to player stats where you can see how many enemies you have killed.

11 hours ago, Deceptrox said:

Yes, there is. At your ship, go to the screen panel/monitor where you can upgrade your weapons and stratagems, change tabs with R/L until you get to player stats where you can see how many enemies you have killed.

Yeah I must be blind.  I completely skip that page and hit R1 immediately, doh!  I think it's dumb they combined your stats with weapon unlocks and strategems.  :)

Thanks.

Edited by DARKB1KE

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...
33 minutes ago, YairGOW said:

Is it enough playing with one other person or do I need to play with more people to 100% this game? I plan to start this game in local coop, and was hoping to avoid playing online.

There are some online only trophies so it's not possible to play entirely offline and still get the Platinum. There's 1 trophy that requires 4 players so unless you have 4 accounts or some local friends, you will have to boost it online.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

There are some online only trophies so it's not possible to play entirely offline and still get the Platinum. There's 1 trophy that requires 4 players so unless you have 4 accounts or some local friends, you will have to boost it online.

Thanks.

Aside from those trophies, I was just wondering how well could 2 players manage, since I read that completing it solo isn't realistic with the game being designed for team play and all, and wanted to make sure 2 players are sufficient.

22 hours ago, YairGOW said:

Thanks.

Aside from those trophies, I was just wondering how well could 2 players manage, since I read that completing it solo isn't realistic with the game being designed for team play and all, and wanted to make sure 2 players are sufficient.

It depends on how skilled you are, because even with 2 players you can get chewed up and spat out by the higher difficulty worlds pretty quickly.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, YairGOW said:

Thanks.

I did the entire game with a friend in 2-player online coop. I think we teamed up with randoms for specific trophies (boss-kills and such), but in the end we were doing level 12-13 planets casually only the two of us while talking about other stuff, what seemed impossible when we started the game. 

Ah, great memories ?

• Like 2