This game is a masterpiece!

QuentinCle95

I wish I could see what other people see in this game - it sounds like I'd like the game you played!

To me it was an interesting but overly maudlin premise, full of melodrama, which turned into a decent mystery, which was then completely undercut by a boring and energy-draining 'twist' that did nothing but make an already very unlikable pair of characters even less likable.

Not the worst thing in the world to have a boring story, but when the story is all you have in your game, you need to do better than that.

• Like 1

I wish I could see what other people see in this game - it sounds like I'd like the game you played!

To me it was an interesting but overly maudlin premise, full of melodrama, which turned into a decent mystery, which was then completely undercut by a boring and energy-draining 'twist' that did nothing but make an already very unlikable pair of characters even less likable.

Not the worst thing in the world to have a boring story, but when the story is all you have in your game, you need to do better than that.

Agreed. After finishing the game, my opinion has actually changed quite a bit. The last 2 days were extremely meh. 

• Like 4

I heard somewhat good things so far about FW. but I am waiting for the sale. 20$ is just way too much for such a short game and with just 6 trophies?? even if a "masterpiece" lol... I guess at least its gold and silver.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Having finished this yesterday, I can honestly say I am impressed. From the introduction right up until I finished it I felt like I was on an emotional rollercoaster.

I loved the relationship between the main characters and the dialog they shared made each conversation enjoyable.

It took me around 4 hours to complete, would have been a bit quicker had I of used the map and compass and not walk in the wrong direction, something I did a lot. Given the short game time and tiny trophy list this may put you off. Please don't let it, I would highly recommend playing through this gem of a title.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It's pretty good, but definitely not a masterpiece. By calling it a masterpiece you put it in the same place as Chrono Trigger, Ocarina of Time and Shenmue which is very shameful to think about it ;p

Edited by CQC93

• 3 months later...

I absolutely loved Firewatch. And I would personally go there and say: ''It's a Masterpiece.''

But different people have different opinions. Whats wrong for me, may be right for you. But a lot of these games polarize quite a bit.

I think if you love reading Books, you will like this game. If you love chracter-driven movies you will also like this game. If you are the typical gamer with the attention span of a goldfish, you mostly won't like it.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 2016-2-17 at 0:07 AM, damon8r351 said:

My opinion remains unchanged.

On 2016-2-19 at 10:01 PM, Colette_F said:

I really enjoyed this game. \the ending wasn't perfect but it was bitter sweet. Absolutely worth a play. Beautiful to look out and the writing and voice acting are incredible. 

On 2016-8-21 at 8:34 PM, Nollatron said:

Having finished this yesterday, I can honestly say I am impressed. From the introduction right up until I finished it I felt like I was on an emotional rollercoaster.

I loved the relationship between the main characters and the dialog they shared made each conversation enjoyable.

It took me around 4 hours to complete, would have been a bit quicker had I of used the map and compass and not walk in the wrong direction, something I did a lot. Given the short game time and tiny trophy list this may put you off. Please don't let it, I would highly recommend playing through this gem of a title.

On 2017-1-15 at 6:23 PM, Joker said:

I absolutely loved Firewatch. And I would personally go there and say: ''It's a Masterpiece.''

But different people have different opinions. Whats wrong for me, may be right for you. But a lot of these games polarize quite a bit.

I think if you love reading Books, you will like this game. If you love chracter-driven movies you will also like this game. If you are the typical gamer with the attention span of a goldfish, you mostly won't like it.

Did you all play The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter? If so, how does it compare to Firewatch?

I bought The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter last year on a sale, people were complaining about lack of gameplay with that one as well but I thought it was brilliant, completed it in one go.

Very tempted to buy Firewatch; it's on sale now for €7.

• 1 month later...
On ‎26‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 5:54 PM, BillyHorrible said:

Did you all play The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter? If so, how does it compare to Firewatch?

I bought The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter last year on a sale, people were complaining about lack of gameplay with that one as well but I thought it was brilliant, completed it in one go.

Very tempted to buy Firewatch; it's on sale now for €7.

Sorry for the late answer, I was away for the better chunk of last month. And when I was at home I was absolutely consumed by Breath of the Wild.

I imagine my advice on buying the game is of no help anymore, since the sale is gone and you most likely made your decision.

But anyway, have you bought it? And if so, have you played it yet? And if so, what do think about the game? I'd love to hear it.

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Ye who have not finished the game, do not open this spoiler. You have been warned.

Reveal hidden contents

The point is, in my eyes, that there isn't always a conspiracy. In Firewatch, it was just one madman with a still working walkie-talkie who accidentally killed his son years earlier and decided to dick around with the main characters to make them go crazy so they would not discover him. In the end, there was no conspiracy, no murderer and no real danger, just three bored people in a forest with varying degrees of sanity.

It's a powerful statement on how much we want there to be something wrong to investigate, both we as gamers as well as people who have "strange" things happening around them. It's not always aliens, cultists or a government agency - sometimes, things just happen. I'd even have to admit to myself that I would have preferred something actually crazy going on, that I myself can't resist a good conspiracy theory. I think that this letdown has been fully intended by the devs, and I enjoyed the anti-climax for being exactly that.

Thats a great way to put it. Pretty much summs up how I am feeling about the game.

I really liked it for what it was, and even liked it for what it wasn't.

Edited by Joker
  • Like 3