Sony is bringing back Crash Bandicoot, says NECA director of product development

Undead Wolf

As reported by Gematsu, it's looking all the more likely that we'll see the return of everyone's favourite bandicoot thanks to the director of product development at NECA.

http://gematsu.com/2016/02/sony-bringing-back-crash-bandicoot-says-neca-director-product-development

Randy Falk, director of product development at National Entertainment Collectibles Association (NECA)—a company that works with Sony on collectible figures—said that Sony is bringing back Crash Bandicoot during an interview at Toy Fair 2016, which began yesterday in New York City.

Speaking to Pixel Dan, Falk said, “On the modern gaming front, we’re going strong. We’ve got a lot of cool stuff going on with Sony. So we have Ultimate Kratos from God of War III that’s about to hit retail. We have Uncharted 4 Nathan Drake, which comes out in May. And then LittleBigPlanet is doing really well, so we have some more of those here on display, too.”

After Dan compliments the Kratos figure, Falk continues: “Yeah, that’s one we wanted to do way back when, and finally, we’ve been able to get back in with Sony and get some of that stuff out. And looking at some of their other titles, I see they’re bringing Crash Bandicoot back, which is really cool. There’s some great stuff there.”

This isn't the first time we've seen evidence to suggest that Crash Bandicoot could be resurrected from the dead.

• Before PlayStation 4 launched, Sony released a trailer featuring subtle imagery that suggested Crash Bandicoot had returned to the company. The same trailer featured a Street Fighter Haduoken cab service, and both Ultra Street Fighter IV and Street Fighter V were announced for PlayStation 4 a year later.
  • Robomodo has asked Activision if it could include Crash Bandicoot in Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 5, but were denied. On Twitter, the company said it was not Activision’s fault, and that it was a combination of timing and rights, so it “wasn’t much of a discussion.”
  • At PlayStation Experience 2015 in December, Sony Computer Entertainment America president and CEO Shawn Layden wore a Crash Bandicoot t-shirt with a PlayStation logo on the sleeve. He similarly wore a Vib Ribbon button-down for Sony Computer Entertainment America’s ice bucket challenge video, and Vib Ribbon was released on PlayStation Network a few months later.
  • The official PlayStation Middle East Twitter account has on and off teased Crash Bandicoot.
  • If you’re a fan of NeoGAF insiders, it’s apparently happening, according to at least one well-trusted forum member.

Of course this isn't proof that we'll be seeing a new Crash game coming our way, but considering everything else that points towards it, could it all just be a coincidence?

• Like 4

If they just remaster the PS1 games with trophies, I'll be done living. Imagine an Uncharted Collection with all 3 games instead (maybe plus CTR?). I already have a boner, if you excuse me for a minute...

Man, if they remastered CTR, I'm not going outside!! Drifting while collecting Wampa Fruit, with Neo Cortex crying every 5 seconds again will be awesome!

• Like 1

Man, if they remastered CTR, I'm not going outside!! Drifting while collecting Wampa Fruit, with Neo Cortex crying every 5 seconds again will be awesome!

(out of likes, sorry! :()

I remember beating the game to 100%+ with all characters, no shame in deleting one of the four (only!) savefiles to start anew. I even beaten the whole thing with Polar which was the slowest, but with the biggest handling. I liked New Cortex a lot, playing on his stage with all those wooden, spiralling platforms was so fucking cool! I've been tempted to grab the classic a couple times by now, but always decided against it for some weird reason. If it gets remastered, though...  :holy:

• Like 2

I'd buy just for the nostalgia if it was like the originals. I recently picked up Knack, and I as I play I can't stop thinking how it reminds me of playing Crash. My nostalgia is running wild now, so I hope it's true and they keep the original game design.

If they just remaster the PS1 games with trophies, I'll be done living. Imagine an Uncharted Collection with all 3 games instead (maybe plus CTR?). I already have a boner, if you excuse me for a minute...

Yessss!!! That would be awesome. Getting a platinum for each Crash game...  :holy:

I played the hell out of that game when I was a kid. Mario Kart? I had never even heard of it. Didn't need it.  :P

• Like 1

We will see. They brought back Ape Escape and that game sucked :( Spyro came back as well and well...fuck Skylanders. They combined Ratchet, Jak and Sly into one game and you can read my rant on that.

Don't get too excited until you actually play the game

What about Into The Nexus and Thieves in Time?

Well those are awesome so that is why I didn't mention them :) You could also throw DK Country Returns or Metroid Prime as great reboots

Not every reboot is bad, but for every Thieves in Time or Metroid Prime you get Final Fight Streetwise or Ape Escape for the Move :(

• Like 3

Well those are awesome so that is why I didn't mention them :) You could also throw DK Country Returns or Metroid Prime as great reboots

Not every reboot is bad, but for every Thieves in Time or Metroid Prime you get Final Fight Streetwise or Ape Escape for the Move :(

I played a demo to that Ape Escape game, oh god why is it a thing?!

• Like 1

LOVING THESE AWESOME NEWS!!! Think these fellows will make a comeback? B)

random_spyro_set.jpg

Unfortunately, I think it's very unlikely that we'll see Spyro have his own game again. Skylanders has made him their bitch and those games are way more profitable than the Spyro games ever were. It's a real shame because along with Crash, the Spyro games made up a lot of my childhood. Those were the days...

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 3

Unfortunately, I think it's very unlikely that we'll see Spyro have his own game again. Skylanders has made him their bitch and those games are way more profitable than the Spyro games ever were. It's a real shame because along with Crash, the Spyro games made up a lot of my childhood. Those were the days...

Look on the bright side dude, at least the good old Bandicoot will make a glorious return! :lol:

If they just remaster the PS1 games with trophies,

that'd be everything I wish for, including CTR of course and CB, which also was good fun. The PS2 releases are abominable and since then I can't imagine there could be an appealing new Crash game ever again.

Naughty Dog or gtfo.

Exactly.

While Into the Nexus was a return to old form after the unspeakable A4O and especially FFA, Thieves in Time is a disgrace to the franchise with childish humor, lukewarm gameplay and a forgettable story (even tho the latter might never have been a strong point of the series).