Sony is bringing back Crash Bandicoot, says NECA director of product development

Undead Wolf

I might be one of the few, but Twinsanity was my favorite. I loved how they evolved the game with sort of an open-world gameplay (they didn't go crazy with the open-world idea, but just enough to make it more interesting) without losing any of the classic Crash elements. That would be my preference for the new game. I hope they don't do anything too outlandish. Not too simple, either...

Edited by PlayingNSlaying

Sorry to poop on the Crash party, but apparently the comment was based on a misunderstanding and has been misinterpreted. 

Source: Gamespot.

A representative for NECA told GameSpot today that the company is not in fact producing new Crash figures, at least not right now.

"It's not the case," the rep said. "Someone has misunderstood a comment he made. Randy saw a faked fan-made image right before he came to the show and said that if the game were coming back, we'd love to do figures."

Could be an instance of "backpedalling" if this Randy did accidentally let a cat out of a bag. Don't get your hopes up until you see something official. 

Sorry to poop on the Crash party, but apparently the comment was based on a misunderstanding and has been misinterpreted. 

Source: Gamespot.

Could be an instance of "backpedalling" if this Randy did accidentally let a cat out of a bag. Don't get your hopes up until you see something official. 

This doesn't really make sense. If this guy went to suggest creating Crash figures, and was told no, how on earth does he manage to mistake that into thinking they're bringing Crash back? Unless he was given an indefinitive answer, in which case that's basically confirming it anyway.

That quote reeks of backpedalling imo, although I don't understand why. Crash has been appearing a lot in the past few years, especially recently. Crash shirt at PSX(? - may have been a different event), PlayStation Middle East tweet a few days ago, and the signpost featuring a bandicoot icon and an arrow which points to the Sony logo.

I guess he may have seen the PlayStation Middle East tweet and that caused the confusion, but who knows?

This doesn't really make sense. If this guy went to suggest creating Crash figures, and was told no, how on earth does he manage to mistake that into thinking they're bringing Crash back? Unless he was given an indefinitive answer, in which case that's basically confirming it anyway.

That quote reeks of backpedalling imo, although I don't understand why. Crash has been appearing a lot in the past few years, especially recently. Crash shirt at PSX(? - may have been a different event), PlayStation Middle East tweet a few days ago, and the signpost featuring a bandicoot icon and an arrow which points to the Sony logo.

I guess he may have seen the PlayStation Middle East tweet and that caused the confusion, but who knows?

What Randy (the toymaker) has actually been quoted as saying was: "Finally, we've been able to get back in with Sony," he said, referencing new toys it's making for the Uncharted and God of War series, among others. "Looking at some of their other titles, I see they're bringing Crash Bandicoot back, which is really cool."

The underlined bit is ambiguous, but it certainly doesn't suggest that he's seen anything from Sony or its developers specifically. He could have seen anything, e.g. a rumour thread.

The clarification from the company: "It's not the case [...] Someone has misunderstood a comment he made. Randy saw a faked fan-made image right before he came to the show and said that if the game were coming back, we'd love to do figures." 

Seems plausible to me. Randy may not have checked the source or story that he saw. 

Only safe thing to do seems to disbelieve everything until we see some sort of official confirmation.

We will see. They brought back Ape Escape and that game sucked :( Spyro came back as well and well...fuck Skylanders. They combined Ratchet, Jak and Sly into one game and you can read my rant on that.

Don't get too excited until you actually play the game

I never saw the Ape Escape game, but people really savaged it. What was wrong with it?

Anyway, I don't share others excitement. While I did enjoy the original Crash (upon release), I thought the sequels were just so-so.

It would be amazing for a new Crash Bandicoot Game to be developed and for it to be like the original trilogy. However, Like others have already mentioned, It's best to wait for anything offical to be announced and also if this does ever happen and then gets released, there would be no guarantee that it would be as good as the originals.

I never saw the Ape Escape game, but people really savaged it. What was wrong with it?

Anyway, I don't share others excitement. While I did enjoy the original Crash (upon release), I thought the sequels were just so-so.

It was a Move only game that was an on rails shooter.

So you had your different weapons to catch monkeys and they just ran at you and you tried to catch them. It was really hard to handle and just not fun.

As long as it's like Crash Bandicoot 1-3, or an online HD remake of CTR, I'm happy.

I'd love a Spyro 1-3 like game too.

And a game like the first Rayman game, not these two last 2D ones that didn't really do most of what made the original so great.

I only believe in releases and/or localizations when there is a month, day and year in the talk (God Eater, I am looking at you).

I also grew up with Crash Bandicoot games, but I would rather see a new game than a remaster with trophies. If a company decide to release a remaster, it should be a dessert not the main dish.

Well those are awesome so that is why I didn't mention them :) You could also throw DK Country Returns or Metroid Prime as great reboots

Not every reboot is bad, but for every Thieves in Time or Metroid Prime you get Final Fight Streetwise or Ape Escape for the Move :(

Into the Nexus and Thieves in TIme were sequels though, and Into the Nexus was a half-arsed piece of garbage they shat out the door at he end of the PS3's life cycle. 

I never see anyone talking about Croc, such an underrated game, I'd love for him to make a comeback.

Meh, i remember finishing Croc 2 and in the ending credits you get a message that sounded like "see you in Croc 3"... they were making it for PS2 (according to Unseen64) but was eventually scrapped. :/

I remember pulling my hair many times trying to get certain Gobbos in the first game... i HATED that pot minigame.

• Like 1

Might be the most underrated and overlooked game in Playstation history!

Eh? Underrated and overlooked??? Far from it. Overrated and got a lot of attention. The problem with those games were the terrible jumping and the annoying camera. Yeah, camera could be okay when you got used to it and could take advantage of it, but it wasn't exactly good. Got both games and played them to pretty much 100%... :P

Eh? Underrated and overlooked??? Far from it. Overrated and got a lot of attention. The problem with those games were the terrible jumping and the annoying camera. Yeah, camera could be okay when you got used to it and could take advantage of it, but it wasn't exactly good. Got both games and played them to pretty much 100%... :P

Really!? Almost everyone I know have never even heard of it! I also played it to 100%! Loved those jigsaw puzzles! :P

Really!? Almost everyone I know have never even heard of it! I also played it to 100%! Loved those jigsaw puzzles! :P

I usually see tons of people bringing it up, but younger players has probably never heard about it. Like it wasn't as big as Crash Bandicoot or Spyro or Rayman etc, but it was well known back then too. Also, "it"? I guess you didn't play the second game then? I know a lot of people didn't like the second as much as the first. I actually liked the second game more. I think the reason is because the camera wasn't exactly the same, but I thought it was an overall better game. Oh well. :P I'd buy and play them if they were re-released with trophies. :P

• Like 1

I usually see tons of people bringing it up, but younger players has probably never heard about it. Like it wasn't as big as Crash Bandicoot or Spyro or Rayman etc, but it was well known back then too. Also, "it"? I guess you didn't play the second game then? I know a lot of people didn't like the second as much as the first. I actually liked the second game more. I think the reason is because the camera wasn't exactly the same, but I thought it was an overall better game. Oh well. :P I'd buy and play them if they were re-released with trophies. :P

Amen to that! I'm not religious but you know, what the heck? :P