The following dlc thoughts/ mini review

Lonemankane

I have had this on my mind for a week now and it's been really bugging me, the following dlc to dying light to me is not really good, yes you get new stuff but there is hardly nothing to do other then races that to me sucks, now before you come at me with the you don't like anything crap or sell it ball let me ask you this, when the dlc was being made Techland promised it be a bigger map and new things to do, nothing like the main game, yes it's a new map and yes it's big but there is hardly nothing to do other then god damn car races.

I am ok with dlc having a big map and lots to do but this is just plan unacceptable after the story is done what is there to do? I mean there was so much hype for this dlc and I just don't understand how people can enjoy this dlc, the story to the dlc was just another one of techlands dreams of far cry fucking 3 right down to the ending you get at the end of far cry 3 it is just dull and dum, there was so many side quests in the main game but in the dlc there is hardly anything other then races everywhere I came into this dlc thinking there will be a lot of stuff to do along with a better storyline for how long it took to make it, I mean I got a better storyline from the dlc of Fallout Nv then I did with the following I think this new big open playground we got is nothing I would rather a new lot of things to do in the main game then a half ass playground with hardly nothing to do.

Tell me what you think of the dlc is it everything you ever wanted in it or are you like me who thinks it's just boring let me know.

Edited by KANERKB

I enjoyed jumping back into Dying Light and I did enjoy the DLC, for the most part.  But I do admit, I did get really tired of driving.  The map size hype did make it seem like this was going to be like getting a whole new game, a sort of Dying Light 2.  But when it comes down to it, it's just a lot of fields and I've never had to spend so much time going "Okay.... follow this road, then take the second left and then I'll look at the map again to see where I go from there."  You'd think it would be easy to go in a straight line to a destination, but even those "open" fields had enough random low walls that you couldn't just careen through them.  (My buggy spent a lot of the early part of the DLC getting stranded in water when I tried to head in a straight line, so I did more running than driving for a long time.)  It ended up being far more efficient to drive on the roads, dodging all the broken down cars.  Also, if driving on set paths is the most viable way to get around, they REALLY needed to create a waypoint navigation system so you could tell where you needed to go instead of checking the map after every other turn.

So... yeah... there was some disappoint. 

But there were some enjoyable parts as well.  It was nice to get Kyle back.  There were some creepily cool missions and the main story was pretty good, even if the ending was a little.... um, yeah...  I did enjoy clearing the volatile nests (which I did ENTIRELY during the day.  So many slap fights with volatiles.) and taking out the special named behemoth demolishers by finding their weaknesses.  So, those were new activities, just as promised.  And there was a bit of giddy fun to be had mowing down fields of zombies in my buggy.  So, while I actually would have preferred a smaller map and less driving, I don't feel like the DLC was a complete wash.  It wasn't Dying Light 2, but it was a decent little chunk of content and for those of us who got the season pass way back for $20, a fair value for money.

• 2 weeks later...

I am personally enjoying The Following. I picked up the Season pass right before it came out because I saw it was going up to $30 and I still got it for $20. Compared to other DLCs I've seen over the last year or so I'd say $20 wasn't a bad deal.

I must say though I was about to throw my controller out the window in the near the beginning of the DLC. Maybe I did something wrong but when I started The Following all my stuff was gone (I later found it in my duffle bad once I unlocked the first town) and so fighting the bandits at the beginning was quite a pain as they made quick work of me with just a random new weapon. By the time I got done with that and talked to the water treatment guy it was nighttime when I started trying to race my way to fix the water pipes and with the all Level 1 buggy parts, the volatiles torn me a new one and broke most everything on the buggy. I finally managed to repair it enough with the few screws I managed to get in beginning and after about 10 tries managed to complete the quest line. Coming from the end of Dying Light where I was pretty much unbeatable due to equipment and being prepared it was quite frustrating to be stuck with a broke buggy right off and dying about 10 times cost me like 40K+ Survivor XP since I was only level 24 at the end of Dying Light.

The volatile lairs are a nice added touch and it was pretty intense going in during the day to clear some of them out. I still can't tell if it actually helps or not, but I'll take the games word for it.

As far as not enough stuff to do, I'd have to disagree unless you mainly just wanted to blast through the main story line. I currently have about 10 side quests to work through and I haven't finished the main story yet. I keep getting side tracked by Weapon caches, Volatile lairs, Army bases, hunting blue prints and new bobble heads, etc.

Some of the stuff is quite annoying. Driving to a side quest only to hear an exploder blow up followed by about 10 infected that can run 40 miles an hour is quite annoying until you get turbo and a better car until then I ended up half the time getting out and taking them out manually.

I will say this though, I find myself enjoying driving the buggy in Dying Light much more than in Batman: Arkham Knight. In this game I actually decide to get in the buggy to travel as opposed to Batman where I tried to avoid it.