Persona 5 Director On Its Voluminous Content, Characters, And Its Social Link System

Xel

Series chief director Katsura Hashino recently shared the latest on the development of Persona 5 in the March 2016 issue of Persona Magazine. Here are some of the key notes from the interview. [Thanks, Game Jouhou.]

• Persona 4 got a bunch of extra content added to Persona 4 Golden, and as a result of not compromising with the volume, it was a lot of work. That said, [Persona 5] has some truly gorgeous content.

• Dungeons and level design will be very different when compared to past titles. There are things that make them all different, and each dungeon will be thoroughly enjoyable.

• Thanks to having a bit of a stereotypical theme with “phantom thief,”  it made it possible to be able to put in work that will surprise the players. From there, they’re looking to mix in contemporary drama with the likeness of Persona, to create something that can express the fun of entertainment.

• The reason the stage is set in Tokyo is so they can push the idea of having an amazing phantom thief drama play out in the world we know.

• Most of the characters in the game are labeled, judged, and are living unfortunate everyday lives that have no escape. Rising up and breaking out of such situation is what you’ll see as you move forward in the game.

image: http://www.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/persona5_1510020_thumb.jpg

persona5_1510020_thumb.jpg

• About Ryuji Sakamoto: He’s one to say “let’s change this world!” and pull the protagonist. It’s because of Ryuji that the protagonist begins his life as a phantom thief. He may be defiant, but he’s a nice guy. For this reason, voice actor Mamoru Miyano is a good fit. His Persona “Captain Kidd” is a good fit with Ryuji’s setting and episode.

• About Maki Ann Takamaki: She’s a quarter-American girl who returned to Japan, and while she may be popular, she doesn’t have any friends, and is a character that looks like she may stand out among her peers, but she’s actually isolated and lonely. Once she joins the party, she’ll take on the role of the life of the party. Her Persona, “Carmen,” has a femme-fatale side to her, and due to a certain incident, they join the protagonist and Ryuji to take on the other world. That said, she’s a character that will have an impact on the fate of the main characters.

• About Morgana: Morgana is similar to Persona 4’s Teddie, and will help in the navigation of the other world. She’s been working in the phantom thief business since before due to certain reasons, and will raise the protagonist and friends as proper phantom thieves. Morgana takes the appearance of a regular cat in the real world, but Hashino will keep the reason for that as a surprise for now. Her Persona “Zorro” is actually Morgana’s admired form. Since she’s little and is often called out with “hey, cat,” her Persona shows an ideal macho form.

• About Yusuke Kitagawa: An eccentric character, but you might sense a different charm from him than you’d get from his illustration appearance. He’s a talented artist, and is an honor student in art.

• There will be a similar system to “Social Link.”  With the question of how to make communication for the characters of Persona 5 into a driving force, Hashino hopes to see it go a step higher in the human relation part of things than what we saw in the Social Link of Persona 3 and Persona 4.

• Heading into the Persona series’ 20th anniversary, Hashino hopes they can make an announcement to please the fans, but he hopes everyone looks forward to Persona 5 first.

Persona 5 is expected to release in summer 2016 in Japan for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3, and sometime later in 2016 for North America.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2016/02/23/persona-5-director-voluminous-content-characters-social-link-system/#QsUtmeJPziIzL5aw.99

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2016/02/23/persona-5-director-voluminous-content-characters-social-link-system/

• Like 2

Yay, new info. So far these characters' descriptions resemble Yosuke, Rise, Teddie, and Kanji a bit.

Persona 5 is expected to release in summer 2016 in Japan for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3, and sometime later in 2016 for North America.

This does not bode well for EU ... :|.
Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 3

I really don't want any more news on P5 other then that it will come out soon :(

And in EU... I will probably end up importing from the US if we need to wait longer.. really was looking forward to this as of last year, now we need to wait 1 more year for a US release and EU is not even mentioned :(

PS: Ya, this is my most wanted game for quite a while.. along Tekken 7, but I kind of already gave up on hoping to see this one before 2017.. (FFXV too, but not my priority as of now..)

Edited by Han_the_Dragon

I really don't want any more news on P5 other then that it will come out soon :(

And in EU... I will probably end up importing from the US if we need to wait longer.. really was looking forward to this as of last year, now we need to wait 1 more year for a US release and EU is not even mentioned :(

PS: Ya, this is my most wanted game for quite a while.. along Tekken 7, but I kind of already gave up on hoping to see this one before 2017.. (FFXV too, but not my priority as of now..)

FFXV you should be safe to get this year.  Square are hosting a released date party in March with Kinda Funny, and I wouldn't think they'd have the balls to do it unless they're close to or actually are gold.

I'm also hoping that they use the event to make fun of themselves, its the only way to get passed the egregious development cycle they've had.

To Persona 5 - I'm looking forward to this game, but thankfully am not eagerly anticipating its release owing to only getting on board with the franchise with 4.  I have Ultimax and Dancing All Night to play - and I'm hoping the rumour of a Persona 3 "Golden" is true.

I knew this wasn't coming out in 2015, and I really doubt it'll come out in 2016 either.  All Persona games have been delayed and I expect this one to exceed all delay records as there are more eyes on now, and ambition can quickly outpace execution.

• Like 2

This does not bode well for EU ... :|.

I bet we'll be left out for quite some time, as usual. I don't believe that we'll get our release at the same time with US or even a week\month apart. That would be too good to be true. On the bright side, as Persona is the most-ultra-popular spinoff of the SMT series that managed to put even the mainline in its shadow, the gap will be at least less than a year and with physical copies.

Still hoping it will be somewhat closer to Innocent Sin, and the Social Links replacement won't hog all of my in-game free time.

Edited by NetEntity

FFXV you should be safe to get this year.  Square are hosting a released date party in March with Kinda Funny, and I wouldn't think they'd have the balls to do it unless they're close to or actually are gold.

On the other hand, if they release it this year, they won't have to worry about P5 :awesome:

and I'm hoping the rumour of a Persona 3 "Golden" is true.

I don't think they would go back to milking P3...

As much I would love P3 Silver.

And in EU... I will probably end up importing from the US if we need to wait longer.. really was looking forward to this as of last year, now we need to wait 1 more year for a US release and EU is not even mentioned 

Yeah, same here.

What is EU? =D

It stands for Enigmatic Users, basically the forgotten gamers between NA and Asia that pay the most for the games and get the worst treatment.

I'm hoping the rumour of a Persona 3 "Golden" is true.

I don't think they would go back to milking P3...

As much I would love P3 Silver.

Technically P3's main colour is blue, so it would be P3 Saphire/Cobalt/Azure or something like that :P.

I'm also hoping that they use the event to make fun of themselves, its the only way to get passed the egregious development cycle they've had.

To Persona 5 - I'm looking forward to this game, but thankfully am not eagerly anticipating its release owing to only getting on board with the franchise with 4.  I have Ultimax and Dancing All Night to play - and I'm hoping the rumour of a Persona 3 "Golden" is true.

I knew this wasn't coming out in 2015, and I really doubt it'll come out in 2016 either.  All Persona games have been delayed and I expect this one to exceed all delay records as there are more eyes on now, and ambition can quickly outpace execution.

Ya, but FF put me off big time with XIII (my main interest is based on the demo of XV), this is why it's not my top priority.. I have been a SMT universe fan for quite some time, and P5 was kind of my most wanted from last year (along Disgaea 5/Tales of Zesteria, but since I'm short on cash I need to make priorities..).

Still it would be nice to get FFXV this year.

As for Persona, a new P3 would be welcome to me, since I prefer it's story to P4 (and I kind of would like it in my trophy list.. even if it ended up being a P3 emulated port to ps4.. since right now, that's the kind of games that I see me buying in the near future.. specially since I want to plat Rogue Galaxy/Dark Cloud from the currently available games).. But if they would give us a new version that joined P3P and P3FES content, it would be simply amazing! And would help me wait for P5 a bit more...

I still want to play the P4 Arena game (along Ni no Kuni/Kingdom Hearts), but I no longer have a PS3 (mine got YLOD a few months ago), my only option as of now is to borrow my brother's PS3 when he and his girlfriend aren't using it..

Edited by Han_the_Dragon

In Japan it's definitely coming out in 2016 and almost certainly in the summer since the next persona magazine is also for summer.  The game is as good as finished as stated by Hashino before. A NA release is still up for grabs all though I doubt it would be 2017.

In Japan it's definitely coming out in 2016 and almost certainly in the summer since the next persona magazine is also for summer.  The game is as good as finished as stated by Hashino before. A NA release is still up for grabs all though I doubt it would be 2017.

It was also definitely coming out in 2015 as announced in 2014, after having been delayed from 2014 originally.

It still has an estimate of Q2/Q3 which means the development team don't know when its going to be finished (as the industry standard is to have at least a quarter penciled out if they're merely making preparations for the marketing drive.)

I'd love to be made to eat my words, but I genuinely think I'll be going hungry.

It was also definitely coming out in 2015 as announced in 2014, after having been delayed from 2014 originally.

It still has an estimate of Q2/Q3 which means the development team don't know when its going to be finished (as the industry standard is to have at least a quarter penciled out if they're merely making preparations for the marketing drive.)

I'd love to be made to eat my words, but I genuinely think I'll be going hungry.

They don't have a quarter down because Atlus chose to give summer as a release window which coincides with two quarters. I see where you are coming from but several high level people involved have stated that the game is extremely close to being finished if not being finished. Plus in this interview Hashino clearly says that persona 5 is the next release for Atlus.

They won't miss out on the chance of releasing it in the 20th anniversary year for persona.

Technically P3's main colour is blue, so it would be P3 Saphire/Cobalt/Azure or something like that :P.

We don't have Sapphire/Cobalt/Azure trophy :awesome:

We all know P5 will be Platinum so P3 has to be Silver :awesome:

I trust momo-chan, his performance for Kingdom Hearts and FFXV was good.

I think you didn't get what I meant...

>Persona

>west

>voice

Now you should know =D

i would play this "Persona" games the day they decide to include more languages and don't release them on english only, as much as i understand some english i hate playing games that aren't on my native language.

Exactly! They need to include Japanese!

:awesome:

If they localize for NA, it's kinda hard to believe they won't release it in EU too...

Well, they will, the point is, it will be at least half a year after NA release date =D

Not that I don't like how the game is turning out, but to be honest, I feel a bit disappointed as how some of the characters are being described. I don't want them to have too much resemblance to some of the P4 cast, it would feel "less impacting" and more of a copy-paste material.

Just my personal opinion.