Boring as f*ck

Viktorx2001

This game looks pretty boring for me as well. That's why I didn't play it, and by extension, why I didn't make a thread about how it's boring to my tastes.

I honestly think you'd be surprised by how good it actually is. I think the problem is that this person used a walkthrough guide to skip solving the problems in the game themselves. In other words, they skipped a good portion of the gameplay. No exploration of the various places and characters. No fun noticing those cool small details or dialogues etc. I also think they made it even worse by skipping through dialogue and story etc, probably played the game on mute as well. In other words, what they ended up with was following a lot of complicated directions in a guide, and that's it. That sounds boring as fuck to me. That is however not the way the game was supposed to be played.

I've yet to play through the PS4 version, but I've played it through on PC several times. It's not all that different from the better Tell Tale Games games, but with a more interesting world to explore, better and more fun dialogue, clever puzzles, better story etc. Where the later TTG games has focused on a more linear story telling, Grim Fandago does much the same, but with bigger and more open areas the entire way through where you can explore and the gameplay isn't as linear. :S

Anyway, it's not a point and click adventure. There's no pointing and clicking. It's a graphic adventure game. People had to create a mod to even have a point and click interface for the game. The game takes you through a long journey over many years, and through a culture (for lack of a better word).

first of all i respect everyone's opinion, but the thing is that this game isn't for everyone, is a point and click adventure which focuses on the story and characters and the slow paced gameplay, there are many games like this one and they are all called "point and click adventures" since you collect stuff from the scenery to try to solve puzzles and talk to characters to progress through the story, it was once rated the best point and click adventure when it came out.

so if you don't enjoy games like that you will probably won't enjoy this either, but if you enjoy them then you will probably like this one.

Agreed! In fact, all games are not for everyone but for some reason some people seem to think that way. :S

Agreed! In fact, all games are not for everyone but for some reason some people seem to think that way. :S

yeah, maybe if you are that kind of person who their favorite games are COD and Battlefield and similar games you will not enjoy this kind of story-focused ones (I know i gave a pretty stereotypical example, but I don't know in which other way I can express my point).

this exact thing happened with until dawn when it came out last year, it was a huge success on youtube and twitch and everyone was playing it, but the game wasn't marketed to be played by everyone and expect that everyone will enjoy it, so even if the general audience and youtubers liked it, there were some people who sometimes found the gameplay and the "cinematic feel" annoying or boring, and well needless to say that kind of people had thousands of minecraft and COD videos in their channel xD (I'm not making fun of their tastes or anything, but you can guess why I laughed).

yeah, maybe if you are that kind of person who their favorite games are COD and Battlefield and similar games you will not enjoy this kind of story-focused ones (I know i gave a pretty stereotypical example, but I don't know in which other way I can express my point).

this exact thing happened with until dawn when it came out last year, it was a huge success on youtube and twitch and everyone was playing it, but the game wasn't marketed to be played by everyone and expect that everyone will enjoy it, so even if the general audience and youtubers liked it, there were some people who sometimes found the gameplay and the "cinematic feel" annoying or boring, and well needless to say that kind of people had thousands of minecraft and COD videos in their channel xD (I'm not making fun of their tastes or anything, but you can guess why I laughed).

You are on point and it's not stereotypical at all! This is the usual pattern you tend see everywhere and I mean EVERYWHERE! No matter how you feel about a certain game it's always best to keep personal feelings to yourself as someone else may not agree, thus proving the fact that all humans are indeed different! B)

I honestly think you'd be surprised by how good it actually is. I think the problem is that this person used a walkthrough guide to skip solving the problems in the game themselves. In other words, they skipped a good portion of the gameplay. No exploration of the various places and characters. No fun noticing those cool small details or dialogues etc. I also think they made it even worse by skipping through dialogue and story etc, probably played the game on mute as well. In other words, what they ended up with was following a lot of complicated directions in a guide, and that's it. That sounds boring as fuck to me. That is however not the way the game was supposed to be played.

I've yet to play through the PS4 version, but I've played it through on PC several times. It's not all that different from the better Tell Tale Games games, but with a more interesting world to explore, better and more fun dialogue, clever puzzles, better story etc. Where the later TTG games has focused on a more linear story telling, Grim Fandago does much the same, but with bigger and more open areas the entire way through where you can explore and the gameplay isn't as linear. :S

Anyway, it's not a point and click adventure. There's no pointing and clicking. It's a graphic adventure game. People had to create a mod to even have a point and click interface for the game. The game takes you through a long journey over many years, and through a culture (for lack of a better word).

I didn't know the guy skipped everything, I mostly just commented to comment on his unneeded comment because I'm an asshole. 

As far as I'm concerned, the game has far too many positive reviews from people I'd trust to not steer me wrong, and far too many adoring fans like yourself who would post such a defense of the game ... far too many, for me to just write it off as boring. That would be incredibly stupid on my part.

Having never played the game, I can't really have an opinion on it, that being said, here's my opinion on it. It looks interesting, in a funky Tim Burton kind of way. BUT, that sort of thing usually wears thin for me really quickly. I'm not super big on quirky kinds of things like that, and a lot of the Tim Shafer style games do have a lot of quirkiness to them and that's fine, but it's not generally for me. Even Brutal Legend, which I adored, I got bored of it pretty quickly too. And that's a problem with me, not the game, I get that, I'm the one who's getting bored of everything really quickly.

But, Brutal Legend kept me around for hours with it's style of gameplay, and I enjoyed it, but with something like Grim Fandango, from the little gameplay I've seen of it, it looks a lot slower if you catch my drift. I don't know, I'm rambling. Anyway, my point is that I'm not just dismissing it blindly like an ignorant asshole, I'm dismissing it blindly like an asshole who knows and recognizes there's certain styles of games that keep him enthralled for ages and this probably isn't one of them.

That being said, I do have the fullest intention to at least try it some day, I just have a metric shitload of other games to play, and a baby to get in the way of that. I don't think I'll be buying or starting any new games in a long while, the other day I got about half an hour of Liberty City Stories on my phone done, that was like, most of my week in terms of gaming.

I didn't know the guy skipped everything, I mostly just commented to comment on his unneeded comment because I'm an asshole. 

As far as I'm concerned, the game has far too many positive reviews from people I'd trust to not steer me wrong, and far too many adoring fans like yourself who would post such a defense of the game ... far too many, for me to just write it off as boring. That would be incredibly stupid on my part.

Having never played the game, I can't really have an opinion on it, that being said, here's my opinion on it. It looks interesting, in a funky Tim Burton kind of way. BUT, that sort of thing usually wears thin for me really quickly. I'm not super big on quirky kinds of things like that, and a lot of the Tim Shafer style games do have a lot of quirkiness to them and that's fine, but it's not generally for me. Even Brutal Legend, which I adored, I got bored of it pretty quickly too. And that's a problem with me, not the game, I get that, I'm the one who's getting bored of everything really quickly.

But, Brutal Legend kept me around for hours with it's style of gameplay, and I enjoyed it, but with something like Grim Fandango, from the little gameplay I've seen of it, it looks a lot slower if you catch my drift. I don't know, I'm rambling. Anyway, my point is that I'm not just dismissing it blindly like an ignorant asshole, I'm dismissing it blindly like an asshole who knows and recognizes there's certain styles of games that keep him enthralled for ages and this probably isn't one of them.

I don't know if he skipped through most of the game, but that's my guess. It's pretty common in these kinds of games that people who get stuck with solving some kind of puzzle looks up the solution and goes on. I'm pretty sure you can skip dialogue too, so that speeds the "chore" up. But yeah, playing the game like that is like following an instruction manual.

If you've played the original Monkey Island games (not the Tales of games, but the originals), then you get the idea of most of the gameplay, but you're moving forward in the story and locations more.

But yes, there's some quirky, but a solid story too. Noir mixed with Mexican culture and taking place in the land of the dead, going through various stages of hell. Lots of interesting characters, themes and plots. It's a lot more serious than Monkey Island, but still keeps some of the humor. The game lasts over several years, where places, people and community changes. :S You have to follow the story and dialogues, and solve most puzzles yourself to really have a good time with the game, because else you won't experience most of the fun and interesting stuff the game has to offer.

As for Tim Shafer, don't like the guy, but I really like this game. ;)

If you are not sure about the game, but interested, boot it up with a second account and just play through at least the office portion of the beginning of the game.

As for Tim Shafer, don't like the guy, but I really like this game. ;)

If you are not sure about the game, but interested, boot it up with a second account and just play through at least the office portion of the beginning of the game.

Generally, unless someone does something notable a million times and puts their name all over the box (Kojima) I don't really notice them. Shafer is a close second, behind Phil Fish, for my most disliked developer guy. Really, they're the only ones I don't like though. Even asshats like Digital Homicides and shit, I don't care about them, but these two have done so much "less than reputable" shit, it's not even funny.

I would, but alas, my subscription has ended. I've got it in my DOS library somewhere though, do you reckon it would be better to bother to get the new updated version or is the old one just as good anyways?

• Like 1

I would, but alas, my subscription has ended. I've got it in my DOS library somewhere though, do you reckon it would be better to bother to get the new updated version or is the old one just as good anyways?

If you get it running properly, then the old version should still be pretty neat. Comparison picture:

As you can see here, the difference isn't that big. Just better lighting and higher resolution models etc. Both are voiced. But I think the game can be somewhat tricky to run on newer hardware and OSes. Plenty of patches and fixes out there.

As a trophy hunter, you should know what you're getting into.  Back in the 90s I did enjoy many an adventure game (like the old Money Island series).  As games have evolved I play less and less of these, however Grim is a pretty damn good example of an adventure game.  While I felt it held up quite well over the years for a game from this genre, it's definitely outdated by today's standards.  So if you are not an 'old school' gamer who grew up on adventure games (or just happen to like them anyway), then no matter how you play this game (guide or organically) you probably won't enjoy it.  Personally, even with a guide, I still enjoyed it.  The story itself is interesting if you take the time to listen to it.  If you're line skipping your way through the game with a guide though, you're basically 'mashing X to trophy' for about 10 hours, so of course that's boring as fuck.  That, however, is not the game's fault.

As I said before, as a trophy hunter you should know what you're getting yourself into.  I am a trophy hunter completionist and I thoroughly research all my games before I play them.  There's definitely a few games I only really played for trophies, but knowing what to expect in advance, I found ways to enjoy the games besides that perfect 'ding' you hear a few dozen times on your way through.  If you do your research and feel a game isn't gonna interest you in the slightest way, then skip it and plat something else.  There's TONS of other games out there just as easy or easier to plat than Grim.  Unless you don't have a job, school, family, or really any responsibilities AND unlimited money supply, chances are you can't get to them all anyway, so might as well pick and choose those that interest you over those that don't.  I'm assuming you picked Grim solely cause it was a 'free' Plus game you could plat easily, in which case I totally understand, as I did the same thing.  However, if that is the case, then there's really no grounds to be complaining about the game.  On the other-hand, if you play lots of adventure games and you are playing this one organically without line-skipping and you are just having a bad time, then that's fair, but I think everyone would agree that you could have added more reasoning to your OP and explained why you feel this way.  I'm gonna go out on a limb though and guess my first impression is more accurate to your situation than this scenario.

• 2 weeks later...

I found it boring and i understand some folks like it. Only reason I played it was for the free platinum as it was part of the PS+ free games. 

Did you skip through dialogue? Did you use a guide? If you did both of these things, I totally understand that the game was as boring as following an instruction manual for 10 hours.

Did you skip through dialogue? Did you use a guide? If you did both of these things, I totally understand that the game was as boring as following an instruction manual for 10 hours.

Did not skip the dialogue but like i said I understand if some folks like it. It was not my cup of tea.  I'm not trying to undermine anyone who likes it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This game must be the most boring game I've ever played in my life! The things I do for trophies..

Yeah, I thought this game was pretty awful too.  The characters are dull, the story and dialog is uninteresting, the puzzles (if you can even call them that) are uninteresting and not clever or creative.  The controls are just plain awful.  Maybe they would have been better if you could use the new controls, but Tim Schafer's never ending quest to be the biggest douchebag in gaming ruined that (and don't give me "you can just ignore the trophy".  look at what website you are on, nobody wants to ignore the trophies here).  All the times you're trying to do something to progress, and it seems obvious what you should be doing, but it doesn't work, so you wander around a bit trying other things and none of that works either, so you give up and look up that solution and find out that what you tried to do in the first place was correct, but the game is really fidgety and if you didn't position and rotate Manny just so he won't do the thing you wanted.  Ugh.  There's so many dead screens too.  Screens with nothing on them.  Screens that exist just to make you run from one side to the other to get where you're going.  They're nice at first when you're first exploring the world, makes it feel more like an actual world and not just game levels.  But it soon falls apart as you have to travel across so many dead screens so many times as you run around trying to solve the puzzles.  It gets old fast.  Year 2 especially goes overboard with this, and probably about half way through I got sick of it and just looked at a walkthrough.  Oh no, here come the game's fanboys to say of course it's boring if you're just reading an instruction manual for 10 hours (because this game would definitely take 10 hours with a guide telling you all the steps :facepalm:  I wonder how all these people got sub 10 hour times if it takes 10 hours even with all the steps in front of you). Too bad I was already bored before using the walkthrough.  Bored of running through dead screens, talking to dull and uninteresting characters, and fighting with wonky controls that make it hard to do what I was trying to do.  

Do you like point and click games?

If the answer is no then what did you expect.

I like point and click games. This isn't a point and click game though, so what was your point here?   :facepalm:  Sad thing is that this game would have been improved by being a point and click game because it cannot be stressed enough how awful the controls are here.

As it stands, I'll stick to good games of this style (with actual point and click controls).  TellTale's earlier efforts, before they went full steam ahead on their "more narrative, less gameplay" thing (which I also enjoy but those don't really feel comparable). Earlier, better LucasArts games like Monkey Island, even some Sierra games like King's Quest (even if their tendency to put game overs or really cheap "oh, you missed this really small thing earlier? you lose!" things in their games, they're still more fun than Grim Fandango thanks to better writing).

I bet the people telling him he should have seen reviews and gameplay videos before playing it are the same people that would tell him to play the game first if he said it was shit based on reviews and gameplay videos.

You bet they're the same people that would do that. 

Did not skip the dialogue but like i said I understand if some folks like it. It was not my cup of tea.  I'm not trying to undermine anyone who likes it. 

Shame people who do like the game can't offer the same respect to those who didn't like it.

• Like 1