Rumour: Battlefield 5 to be set in WW1?

NotAFoxAnymore

This rumour has been floating around for a while but some more evidence appeared recently - 

It appears as though a Swiss retailer has jumped the gun and listed Battlefield 5 for release. The retailer, World of Games, has listed the game to release in October of this year, but that's not the most interesting part of the listing.

The retailer goes on to detail the game as "Mehrspieler Taktik Shooter im 1. Weltkrieg," translated to English this means "Multiplayer tactical shooter in WW1." Whether or not this listing is accurate has yet to be confirmed by the Battlefield publisher EA or developer DICE.

The last time a Swiss retailer outed something, it was the Uncharted Trilogy for the PS4. This trilogy went on to be confirmed and revealed by Sony as the Nathan Drake Collection. That said, the listing for Battlefield 5 might be more fictitious than anything, but we can keep our hopes and dreams for a WWI shooter alive.
Although, it does fall in line with an IMBD listing that appeared for the game, calling the game Battlefield 5: Armageddon and detailing that the game would be set in Japan.
"This game is about a small town soldier who is in battle for japan. He must fight to get home to his family and friends."

All signs are pointing towards WW1 being the setting for BF5.

battlefield_5_listing-1152x739.jpg

Source - GameZone.com

Thoughts? I'm not sure about the legitimacy of this, although it is confirmed that there will be a new Battlefield title this holiday season. But as you can see from the above screenshot, that retailer seems to enjoy jumping the gun on listings (with ones such as CoD 2016 and Titanfall 2 present). Does a WW1-based shooter sound like a good idea to you? 

Edited by Akira Fox

That would be awesome. I hate all those futuristic crap current shooters has been coming towards.

Actually Battlefield has already had a crack at futuristic setting with Battlefield 2142. Though i dont think they would be returning to it. 

EDIT: Just so you know Battlefield 4 was  also set in the future. 2020

Edited by Gibbo_0113

I'd like to see a AAA release cover WWI, but 1. i cannot see it working with the battlefield formula and 2. i find it hard to believe that the Battlefield writing team has the finesse to properly handle the subject matter.

But if anyone is up to make a game about rotting away in a trench for reasons you don't really give a shit about i'm the first in line.

Yeah been seeing this rumor for quite a while now although I saw some rumors about being WW2.Anyway I hope its true...nothing better to refresh this burnt FPS games than a WW2-themed BF.MoH that was good at it tried to follow CoD and BF in the modern setting which was the stupidest idea ever.CoD went to shit with these future settings and BF4 was merely copied n' pasted from BF3 with a "4" stamped on the title...while they tried to do different things with Hardline,it seems things didn't go too well.So yeah BF definitely needs this to be true...I'll be one to support the game again.

• Like 1

I'd prefer WW2 if we're going back in time for these games. I don't see how Battlefield gameplay will translate to trench warfare.

Either way, I do think they need to do something fresh for the next game. BF3 and BF4 were too similar. If they want to avoid the COD path, they need to change something. I guess since COD is going into the future, they want to separate themselves from that and go into the past?

I'm keen. Been wanting a AAA WWI game for years now. Running through trenches and shit, hopefully the game will be more stealthy and tactical, than the usual "run and fire at everything at random entirely and hope you hit some assholes" approach these games take.

MP would be interesting too, which isn't something I've ever said about a mainstream AAA FPS game since my first experience with Call of Duty way back when.

honestly I rather go back to either the modern warfare era or world at war era. This futuristic stuff ain't something I like at all. I mean yeah its pretty cool but id just want go back where its all simple. No more of this jump boosters wall running sliding crap plz. You cant go any further than this jez. I hope these rumors are true. If not , then there's that kickstarter for that WWII game.. <_<

The Battlefield franchise has brought us games from WWII, Vietnam and Modern Day Warfare, so if they wanted to do something totally different from the competitors (If you want to call them that) creating the first WWI genre could be what FPS gamers may want to experience but then there will also be the ones that will look at this idea and say why go back in time why not continue going forward with the whole Futuristic theme.

How about a Post-apocalyptic themed Battlefield? If I had to pick I would say WWI but I'm open to any type of game they bring us.

I'd actually rather see people used to modern and futuristic shooters get fucked over having to play in a WWI setting.

I am the opposite, I would love to see how they're going to handle the First World War. We always get World War 2 and the Cold War, it is going to be interesting on what they do with the WW1 setting.