The best Star Wars format/release for a newbie?

Dreakon13

So I've never seen the Star Wars movies before.  I went and saw the new one with a buddy of mine recently, and I liked it.  I think I'd like to get into the franchise.

Not sure how many die hard fans are around here that would know the difference between the various DVD/Blu Ray releases... but worth a shot.  Seems every release has it's ups and downs with the number of changes that get made, uncomfortable edits get made, things get added and taken out.  Obviously the most recent Blu Ray's would be the best in terms of video/sound quality... but I don't mind giving up some of that (and saving a little money xD) if older DVD releases do a better job of maintaining the integrity of the original films.  Though if the Blu Ray's are without a doubt the best way of enjoying them, I may suck it up and throw a little more money at it.

Anyone with a little knowledge on the topic want to help steer me in the right direction for the ideal Star Wars viewing experience?

PS... I am going to get them all, so even if you hated Eps 1-3 as it seems people do, I'd prefer if this didn't turn into a conversation about skipping those.  Thanks! :)

Edited by Dreakon13

Machette order. Straight up. You can ignore episode one if you want entirely.

Machette goes IV (the original), V (it's sequel), then II (the second prequel), III (it's sequel), and then VI to wrap it all up. Then I guess VII because VII.

This way, you get to see the originals as they were in the day, standing alone. Then you get to see the two better prequels to see what happened before the original two. Then you watch Return of the Jedi and everything comes together and shit.

If you want to watch Episode I, watch in the same order, but put Ep. I in right before Ep. II and you're set. Ep. I is pretty skippable to be honest and by far the worst of the whole series, on it's own it's okay, but every other one, even Ep. II, shits all over it.

If you're not too bothered by edits then you might as well get the mid-2000 Special Edition releases since the edits in those aren't too bad save for a couple things off the top of my head (that would be kind of spoilers since you haven't seen them). Otherwise I heard that they are releasing the original un-edited versions on DVD soon, so you might as well wait for those. I personally wouldn't even bother with the Blu-Ray edits because they change even more things that didn't need changing at all, even adding pointless things in the backgrounds of the prequels. But I think if you wanted the true unedited experience for the Originals then I would just wait for those un-edited releases coming out.

• Like 1

The latest blu-rays are likley the best transfer you could get in terms of picture quality.  The very latest sets are getting a lot of positive reviews for the quality of the blu-ray release.

If you've never seen any of them before you probably won't be bothered by the edits from the original releases.  

If you want a DVD of the original trilogy cuts (Han shoots 1st) search amazon or similar for these ASN numbers B000FMH8UIB000FMH8US, B000FMRYNE.  But they'll no doubt cost a bit more.  best value is going to be the latest 6 pack if you can spalsh on the blu-ray.

• Like 1

Machette order. Straight up. You can ignore episode one if you want entirely.

Machette goes IV (the original), V (it's sequel), then II (the second prequel), III (it's sequel), and then VI to wrap it all up. Then I guess VII because VII.

This way, you get to see the originals as they were in the day, standing alone. Then you get to see the two better prequels to see what happened before the original two. Then you watch Return of the Jedi and everything comes together and shit.

If you want to watch Episode I, watch in the same order, but put Ep. I in right before Ep. II and you're set. Ep. I is pretty skippable to be honest and by far the worst of the whole series, on it's own it's okay, but every other one, even Ep. II, shits all over it.

Before too many people jump on this, I'm not talking "what order should I watch them in" or "what episodes should I avoid".

Just a discussion on recommendations of DVD/Blu Ray releases in terms of quality and integrity... as there have been a few over the years, and like Redgrave said, there are substantial changes to them worth considering.

Thanks for the advice though. :)

Edited by Dreakon13

Before too many people jump on this, I'm not talking "what order should I watch them in" or "what episodes should I avoid".

Just a discussion on recommendations of DVD/Blu Ray releases in terms of quality and integrity... as there have been a few over the years, and like Redgrave said, there are substantial changes to them worth considering.

Thanks for the advice though.  :)

Fair enough, I was scan reading and not paying full attention to the original post, my mistake.

Don't buy into all the "special edition is Satan" bullshit, the cleaned up versions are a lot prettier and aside from a couple of odd choices, nothing really stands out anyway. And really, nothing would stand out at all, if it weren't for internet nerds yelling.

Also, the original versions on DVD that Willstown mentioned. I actually had them, the quality is dreadful, and it's the kind of widescreen where it's got GIANT black lines on top and bottom because it's transferred from the LaserDisc version (I think it was LD) and they were made for 4:3 TVs, but to also show a double black line so to make it the proper widescreen ratio, but then taking that 4:3 with lines image and making it into a wid...look, it sucks, just trust me. 

IF HOWEVER YOU DO WANT THE ORIGINAL VERSIONS, THEN GET THE "DESPECIALIZED EDITION" OFF THE INTERNETS, I HAD TO PUT THIS IN CAPS BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW, I'M NOT YELLING, I JUST THINK THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE POST, CARRY ON!

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy
  • Like 1

Also, the original versions on DVD that Willstown mentioned. I actually had them, the quality is dreadful, and it's the kind of widescreen where it's got GIANT black lines on top and bottom because it's transferred from the LaserDisc version (I think it was LD) and they were made for 4:3 TVs, but to also show a double black line so to make it the proper widescreen ratio, but then taking that 4:3 with lines image and making it into a wid...look, it sucks, just trust me.

Ew... that's a dealbreaker right there.  If I'm doing this, I at least want proper widescreen.  Might've made my decision for me, thanks for the heads up!

I havent grabbed any copies lately but here they had each one as a special edition steel book bluray for $15 per movie which was mighty tempting. Most of the changes on the original movies were to clean up effects from 70s. I wouldnt worry about that. Get some blurays if you can and enjoy. The 1st prequel is worth watching. Dont listen to naysayers. Im not saying its great but it had some good moments.

• Like 1

I havent grabbed any copies lately but here they had each one as a special edition steel book bluray for $15 per movie which was mighty tempting. Most of the changes on the original movies were to clean up effects from 70s. I wouldnt worry about that. Get some blurays if you can and enjoy. The 1st prequel is worth watching. Dont listen to naysayers. Im not saying its great but it had some good moments.

Agreed.

inb4 Revenge of the Sith isn't any good, too. Shit is hot fiyah. Super. Hot. Fiyah.

So I've never seen the Star Wars movies before.  I went and saw the new one with a buddy of mine recently, and I liked it.  I think I'd like to get into the franchise.

Not sure how many die hard fans are around here that would know the difference between the various DVD/Blu Ray releases... but worth a shot.  Seems every release has it's ups and downs with the number of changes that get made, uncomfortable edits get made, things get added and taken out.  Obviously the most recent Blu Ray's would be the best in terms of video/sound quality... but I don't mind giving up some of that (and saving a little money xD) if older DVD releases do a better job of maintaining the integrity of the original films.  Though if the Blu Ray's are without a doubt the best way of enjoying them, I may suck it up and throw a little more money at it.

Anyone with a little knowledge on the topic want to help steer me in the right direction for the ideal Star Wars viewing experience?

PS... I am going to get them all, so even if you hated Eps 1-3 as it seems people do, I'd prefer if this didn't turn into a conversation about skipping those.  Thanks! :)

Just buy the Complete Saga on Blu-ray. Going into it with an open mind. All 6 are great and all 6 have their flaws. I love each and every episode equally. People are thankless and spoiled and its cool to hate popular things.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just get the Despecialized Editions off of the internet, they are the best versions of the original trilogy currently available.

Don't support the current official releases and George Lucas' misguided efforts to "enhance" the movies.

Also, either don't bother watching episodes I - III or go in with a very open mind. They are exceptionally bad movies.

Episode II-VII, I agree with what everyone is saying here, just pretend I doesn't exist, you aren't really missing anything.  It's just such a borefest and isn't recommended for your first Star Wars movie, it was my first and left me with a bad taste to Star Wars for ages.  It took me a while to give the rest of the series a chance because of it.

Ideally you can get away with just watching IV-VI, they are the main story of Star Wars.  II-III is just backstory for Darth Vader.  IV etc makes references to them in a way but doesn't leave you so confused that you need to watch them.

There is a version, you'll need to search for it, I don't know if I can post a link here, where fans went through and pulled the original in very high quality from the 35 mm theatrical reel. Color-corrected and a bunch of other stuff. Download it. It's called the "Silver screen edition". It will have Episode 4, they're working on 5 and 6. For 5 and 6, look for Harmy's version. He's done the same thing to a lesser degree for those, but recommends theirs for Episode 4. I'd recommend a first timer watch those episodes that way.

Episodes 1-3, meh. Blu-Ray if you can get them cheap enough. You might be able to find the DVD's at a garage sale. You won't be likely to watch them a 2nd time, so don't spend too much money on them.