Obscene Grinding?

65-70 sounds reasonable. Now, if you were to guess, what percentage of that was spent doing repetitive grinding?

I would say 70% of getting the plat is repetitive grinding, but tbh, it really varies on how well you know the plat path. As people said on the forums, this is easily the most streamlined game in the series, and if you know what you're doing, you can easily get the plat in under 24hrs. However, if it is your first time playing a Disgaea game, you will probably not be able to pull that off.

I took 90hrs for my plat, but I made way too many mistakes. I could have easily cut off 20-30hrs from that if I wasn't being an idiot with evilties (and farming a LoC trap, among other things).

If you really want to get this plat, look up a grinding guide (gamefaqs has some decent ones) to get you started, but I noticed that the stickied guide on gamefaqs forums can be pretty inefficient in late postgame.  You'll probably want to read multiple strategies on how to do the last 2 gold trophies to get them easily (admittedly, pretty sure most plat holders here can give you a decent answer)

• Like 1

I don't have the plat yet (and am at 170 hours into it), but it's mainly because I did a ton of stuff not needed for the platinum (including playing twice trough the story, because I wanted all endings and didn't knew that a bad ending didn't start a new cycle)..

Said that, this is by far the easiest Disgaea to plat, since there's almost no need to deal with RNG, while on the previous ones you had to deal with it all the time be it to find specific pirates, items or dupe items..

Also the way to grind it, if you know what you need to grind (and don't start working on other characters, like I did..), it's quite fast.. not sure what's the 10 billion damage setup for this one, so maybe there's some extra preparations for it, but that's the hardest thing in this game, while on the previous games, it was like the 2nd hardest trophy (since 10 billion damage seam to be mandatory for all Disgaea games..).

• Like 1

I would say 70% of getting the plat is repetitive grinding, but tbh, it really varies on how well you know the plat path. As people said on the forums, this is easily the most streamlined game in the series, and if you know what you're doing, you can easily get the plat in under 24hrs. However, if it is your first time playing a Disgaea game, you will probably not be able to pull that off.

I took 90hrs for my plat, but I made way too many mistakes. I could have easily cut off 20-30hrs from that if I wasn't being an idiot with evilties (and farming a LoC trap, among other things).

If you really want to get this plat, look up a grinding guide (gamefaqs has some decent ones) to get you started, but I noticed that the stickied guide on gamefaqs forums can be pretty inefficient in late postgame.  You'll probably want to read multiple strategies on how to do the last 2 gold trophies to get them easily (admittedly, pretty sure most plat holders here can give you a decent answer)

Thanks. btw I just checked your profile, awesome trophy collection.

• 1 month later...

So far I've avoided this series like the plague due to the insane amount of grinding the games usually have. Seeing the relative rarity of the plat (7ish %) I'm hopeful that this trend has ended. Tell me internet, if I play this game for the plat will I be staring down the barrel of an obscene amount of grinding/farming?

Why are you asking this? This is a Disgaea game, of course there will be grinding. :P

Pardon my rudeness, though. Actually, I've found out about a new trick that appeared in the game - if you use any consumable item, your EXP rises to 1/8 of your max EXP for a level. Thus, if you use eight items, you can get a free level! With the new Zombie Maid character and her evility Efficient Work, she can use 2 items a turn, and if you use Unopened Sodas and Mint Gums, you can save money by only needing four items(since these items turn into lesser healing items when used). With this you can make an army of Level 150 units in the first map (since the Prinnies don't attack unless you get close to them so you camp out on that map forever) and basically cheese all 16 episodes. After that it's just standard Disgaea grinding fare. There are video guides on Youtube for speeding stuff up.

Also, get the Sage class ASAP - at Level 150 they gain an attack that hits every enemy on the map at 50% accuracy. She can clear a map in one turn if she's strong enough.

• Like 1

I think I'll jump back into the series again, but after spending 100 hours to plat Disgaea 3: Absense of Detention, I need a good break  xD I enjoyed the game, it's just that most of it consisted of grinding towards the plat. At least if I do play any more of the games I will have more knowledge and experience going in, which I hope would help.

• 5 months later...

Can someone please explain to me how it is even remotely possible to plat a Disgaea game in under 24 hours? The trophy guide on Playstation Trophies estimates the plat to be 70-150 hours. Is there a more optimal plat path?