Your Kickstarter Failures

effdeegee

It appears this has been a bit of a hot topic amongst some crowds lately so, I figured it would be fun to poke fun at our own attempts at Kickstarter attempts that flopped.

1. In August 2014, I had the idea of making a series of self help videos for people who were newly diagnosed with cancer, telling them what they can expect in the coming months with regards to friends, family and bodily functions, as a coping strategy, or another piece to add to their support structure.

I had no idea what the series of films were going to be called. I would've done it for free but, you were forced to write in a dollar amount so, I only asked for $100 to cover the cost of my time to produce the initial video

2. In November 2014, I decided to try again and made a kickstarter for my music career.

As some of you may know, during my spare time, I write, sing and play music. Back in 2014, I had enough material to begin recording and I was told by a producer that I had what it took to take a shot, but that my teeth would be a rather large roadblock for success so, I created a kickstarter asking for $7,500 to cover the cost of getting braces. The rewards were things like a digital copy of my album, physical copy, signed copy and went right up to writing a personal song for the higher backers.

The project was suspended because kickstarter doesn't allow projects that deal with altering your body, due to legal health liability issues.

I found it was easier to just work hard, save my money and pay for the dental surgeries myself. Keep an eye out for my new album when it's finally done, btw. :D

So, those are my two attempts at playing the kickstarter game. What are some of the things you've tried and failed at?

Edited by effdeegee
  • Like 1

I think for Kickstarter to work, you need to at least have ideas first, with names and everything, showing an example of what you could do.  People aren't going to back something if they cannot see examples.

But good luck with your dental surgeries and the album.

I really haven't tried using Kickstarter yet.. I'm not quite into asking randoms for money.  Only thing I have thought of doing is Patreon, which is like an artist/youtuber thing, people pay to see work you don't really put elsewhere, but I have heard that it is only really big names that are successful with it so I haven't really attempted it yet.

• Like 1

I think for Kickstarter to work, you need to at least have ideas first, with names and everything, showing an example of what you could do.  People aren't going to back something if they cannot see examples.

But good luck with your dental surgeries and the album.

I really haven't tried using Kickstarter yet.. I'm not quite into asking randoms for money.  Only thing I have thought of doing is Patreon, which is like an artist/youtuber thing, people pay to see work you don't really put elsewhere, but I have heard that it is only really big names that are successful with it so I haven't really attempted it yet.

Thanks for the advice regarding something I tried in 2014. If I ever find a DeLorean, I'll be sure to give myself the heads up. :P

and thanks for the kind words. :)

It appears this has been a bit of a hot topic amongst some crowds lately so, I figured it would be fun to poke fun at our own attempts at Kickstarter attempts that flopped.

1. In August 2014, I had the idea of making a series of self help videos for people who were newly diagnosed with cancer, telling them what they can expect in the coming months with regards to friends, family and bodily functions, as a coping strategy, or another piece to add to their support structure.

I had no idea what the series of films were going to be called. I would've done it for free but, you were forced to write in a dollar amount so, I only asked for $100 to cover the cost of my time to produce the initial video

I actually really like that idea but why would you need to have a Kickstarter for that? You can easily just record audio and upload it to Youtube.

Not calling you out, or even judging you! but I just could never go on anything like Kickstarter or GoFundMe unless I was extremely passionate about it, like very, very passionate about it. I'd feel bad taking people's money in case the idea just flumped or something. I always overthink situations though, I'd literally be thinking "Damn.. they could have gotten a nice meal with that donation rather than me taking it and fucking up everything with it".

I do wish you luck though! I do know this obnoxious twat I went to school with who made a GoFundMe page to try get people to pay her college tuition despite student loans being a viable option for her (Oh! and I should mention she is rich and has a swimming pool and security cameras all over her house, just for some perspective). Luckily, it flumped after a little backlash and she only got like 325 dollars of her original designated target which was something ridiculous like 20,000 pounds. Such a joke...  but yeah! I do fully support innovative entrepreneurs on Kickstarter and sites alike. Once again! good luck and keep at it.