1 link for cross gen guides

effdeegee

Pardon if it's been suggested; I did search.

I'm playing Far Cry 4 for PS3 and there is no header for a guide, but there is a Far Cry 4 guide for PS4.

It would be convenient for games that have identical lists, but cover more than one console, to all be linked to the same page of guides.

• Like 2

It would be nice if a shared list, gets a shared guide.Region as well.

Lost Dimension for the Vita.....I had to use PS3 guide even though they are the same list. 

I like to go on my profile , go to the game, click trophy guide and see the ones not green. No need to manually track what I don't have.

Better yet, there should be an option for guide writers to be able to easily copy their guide across different versions. A checkmark on the Guide Settings that asks which versions you want your guide to apply to.

This.

There are some guides that work better for a single system due to different controls/trophy requirements.

I have a feeling this is gonna be in the next site update though :awesome:

Pardon if it's been suggested; I did search.

I'm playing Far Cry 4 for PS3 and there is no header for a guide, but there is a Far Cry 4 guide for PS4.

It would be convenient for games that have identical lists, but cover more than one console, to all be linked to the same page of guides.

I believe Sly will look into this after the next site update.

Yeah, I asked Sly months ago if he could add the ability to "link" a single guide to every list that is identical for every list - region or platform (probably best done manually by the guide team). This way writers wouldn't have to get the game on another platform and copy and paste everything over again for the same game.

Sly said implementing that is a bit tricky but I think he'd be able to do it. Hopefully he'll look into it after that site update releases someday :P

Edited by BlindMango

Sometimes not all the versions are the same, and somebody might only write for one version. Still, it would be nice if we could link the guide to different versions. By versions I mean not just different consoles but also regions.

Read the original post where I said "games with identical lists."

Read the original post where I said "games with identical lists."

Doesn't matter if the lists are identical, they can still have different requirements. Manual linking would be required!

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

Even if the trophy list is the same, the game could be different. It is uncommon, but not impossible. Some japanese games sometimes have region based difficulties (but this probably doesn' happen anymore). Or a different platform may use different controls. Or maybe the game is glitched only on one platform. Or whatever.

You can't be 100% sure that a guide made for a ps4 game will fit its ps vita version without corrections.

• Like 2

Even if the trophy list is the same, the game could be different. It is uncommon, but not impossible. Some japanese games sometimes have region based difficulties (but this probably doesn' happen anymore). Or a different platform may use different controls. Or maybe the game is glitched only on one platform. Or whatever.

You can't be 100% sure that a guide made for a ps4 game will fit its ps vita version without corrections.

In fact, I've written a trophy guide for a game that has different requirements for each region, but shares the same trophy list.

I was going to link to this guide, but I noticed I hadn't actually published it on this site, only done so on another site. Will fix that soon then! :P

This is extremely rare, but different regions and consoles are far more likely for this to happen.

It's actually rather likely to be the case with Vita and PS4/PS3 games, unlike what the opening poster seems to think, which is why some others and I specifically noted this, even though they seem to think we didn't read what they said then. This is because the Vita has a different button interface, with a touch screen. While the trophies may be much the same, then how to get them and how to do it etc might be quite different.

Also, there are many games that has different builds for each version, where some allow you to do certain things, while others doesn't. I've had another case where one build of the game had an in-game cheat/debug menu, where other builds of the game didn't. You had to get the PSN version in specific regions. They even released multiple versions of this game, with different names and the same trophy list and also almost the same trophy list (like one trophy missing).

Then there's games where some regions have a higher patch, so that the requirements for certain trophies might be different.

Then there's games with different names for each region and the same trophy list. This is why manual linking is so useful, and just (automatically) linking all with the same wouldn't be as usual.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 2