Indie title No Man's Sky set for june 21 at wait for it $59.99

Daniel_Shadow170

If the content is there to justify the price, then $60 would be fair. It's about quality of the product, the size of the team, whether they are independent or own their IP or whatever, is irrelevant.

21 June is interesting... I wonder if PSVR is going to launch on the same date and whether NMS is going to make use of the device...

• Like 2

I haven't really looked into No Man's Sky, but is there actually any structure to the game? Or is it just going around exploring randomly generated planets with no specified goal in mind.

Because if that's the case I certainly don't think that's worth $60. Although that has nothing to do with it being indie or not, but mostly because it sounds like you need to make your own fun, similarly to  Minecraft, which is less than half the price.

I haven't really looked into No Man's Sky, but is there actually any structure to the game? Or is it just going around exploring randomly generated planets with no specified goal in mind.

Because if that's the case I certainly don't think that's worth $60. Although that has nothing to do with it being indie or not, but mostly because it sounds like you need to make your own fun, similarly to  Minecraft, which is less than half the price.

If I'm not wrong the last time they talked about it the guy in charge said the main aim is to reach the center of the universe or something along those lines, while exploring everything to map the universe is the 2nd objective (do note that the last time that I heard about it was on E3)..

Still the date is kind of interesting, seeing that's probably 1 week after E3 (I'm unsure of the actual date for this year's E3).

And, yes, with the style of coverage this is getting, for the amount of attention Sony put into it in it's shows and what not, I'm not surprised that it's priced as a full game. This is probably Sony trying to show that an indie developer team can make something as good looking and with the same quality then a big developer.

Edited by Han_the_Dragon

Hope the pricing works out for them, because I can imagine the whining and snarky Yelp-style reviews that are going to ensue if people get into it and think exploring space freeform isn't worth $60. Up until this news, I was positive this wasn't going to be put in the same tier as major releases like The Division or Uncharted 4 and was going to be a digital title in the $20-$30 range.

Makes me wonder what price range Elite: Dangerous is because the two games are almost identical in concept.

Edited by damon8r351

Not being funny... but I think it's fucking disgusting that people feel so entitled to indie games at a small price just because said developers aren't backed by a massive publisher. 

There's plenty of small teams out there that aren't indie. 

Ninja theory for example have a small team and they're the guys who brought you, Heavenly Sword and Enslaved. 

It's made by an independent studio so it's only worth $30 where as if that same game was made by Bethesda you'd have no problem paying $60. 

That's a bit dumb right?

You should be looking at the size and reported quality of the game, not the team who made it. 

That being said, my only worry is other indie devs getting a bit too overzealous with the pricing of their own games. 

Tbh though, after seeing previews of the game... I wasn't surprised at all to see it was $60. That seems a fair price. 

I can't say I'm getting it day one though, it seems like unless you love exploring new planets over and over, it'll get boring super fast.

Edited by AlphaTrash
  • Like 4

What an inflammatory and trollish question.

Game looks sweet. Not getting dragged down to the whole low-brow "indie" argument.

Have you seen the other forum's and sites? This game is getting massive hate due to the price and it's a neutral question i'm sorry you can't explain your reasons.

At the end of the day, whether the title is worth $60 can only be answered by you personally, and really, will only be answerable after you've played it. Until then, if you're at all upset over the announced price you should cancel/refrain-from-making any pre-orders and wait for reviews and let's plays to appear on the internet. 

Seriously, this isn't hard stuff. If you aren't sure about a price, then wait for the game to release and for more information on which to base your purchasing decision. 

To the people moaning about an "indie" being priced at $60 tho, I have to ask, why do you feel that video-games should be a "special" industry where a certain tier of producer has to price in a particular point? 

Here's an interesting piece on indie pricing strategies anyway, which some here may like to read. It's just one indy dev's opinion, but it's interesting. 

Have you seen the other forum's and sites? This game is getting massive hate due to the price and it's a neutral question i'm sorry you can't explain your reasons.

No, it's not a neutral question. I don't go onto other sites because they're filled with trolls and hate mongers towards "indies". I stay here because it's less prevalent and mostly unnoticeable. If you're going to bring that attitude here, I'd rather leave than become like "them".

I just wish that limited edition could be bought for PS4.

I pay no attention to if a game is indie or not.  Indie died in the 90's imo.  It's not like big game companies provide anything special these days.  Any game can be broken at release.

Edited by audiopile

No, it's not a neutral question. I don't go onto other sites because they're filled with trolls and hate mongers towards "indies". I stay here because it's less prevalent and mostly unnoticeable. If you're going to bring that attitude here, I'd rather leave than become like "them".

Well if a simple question offends you i don't know what to tell you i didn't say anything bad indies in this topic.

If this game is everything it's being hyped for, it is definitely worth $60.

My only worry is repetiveness. Another game that was hyped up for expansiveness was Destiny, and personally I didn't find it that great. The game was repetitive and became boring IMO and I would hate to see NMS end up like Destiny.

I hope, hope, hope this game delivers. Not day 1 for me, but still has my attention.