Indie title No Man's Sky set for june 21 at wait for it $59.99

Daniel_Shadow170

Depends, NMS is a game of chance and I usually have bad luck, soo...

Would I pay £50/$59.99 for an indie game in general? Yeah, why not? I mean, our fathers and their fathers would have had to pay the same or even more back in the 70s - 90s and get lesser quality than we do. Also, NMS is a new idea and new ideas rarely come to the game industry these days. 

• Like 1

As long as a game has the wealth of content to justify the price point, it doesn't matter if it's an indie developer or Triple A studio making the game whether it's worth $60 or not.

That being said, the $60 price point makes me a little more nervous. I've been following this game for a long time and I'm absolutely in love with the concept of being able to discover a whole galaxy and whatnot, but this makes me more hesitant to jump right in. I've been burned by awesome game concepts turning out to be crap in the past so I may wait to see how the game is received on launch before diving in. I don't pre-order games anymore for this exact reason.

• Like 3

It's a interesting project.  I need to know what the gameplay loop will be and if there is any depth there.  Am the moment I'm not seeing the aspect of the game that will compel me to play it for any reasonable length of time.  It may be that the trophy set alone adds enough to the game to make some sort of challenge.

On the fence right.

Some people commenting here seem to think that procedural generation is easier or cheaper for game developers. 

It's not if you want to do it well. Choosing to use PG takes a lot of development time, fine tuning, and QA if you want to create spaces which are coherently designed, work properly and, most importantly, are engaging to the players. 

Wait. Didn't Sony put significant funding into the project? Can we still call that indie?

I agree the definition of "indie" is becoming blurred now that some of these indie studios are doing well and attracting the attention of the major publishers and platform holders. But no, Hello Games did not accept any of Sony's money. Instead, they agreed to let Sony help them with marketing (E3 appearances, etc) in return for console exclusivity. Sources: The New Yorker, The Guardian.

I agree the definition of "indie" is becoming blurred now that some of these indie studios are doing well and attracting the attention of the major publishers and platform holders. But no, Hello Games did not accept any of Sony's money. Instead, they agreed to let Sony help them with marketing (E3 appearances, etc) in return for console exclusivity. Sources: The New Yorker, The Guardian.

That's a distinction worth making. Thank you for the sources.

I would contend that such marketing equates to dollars. It does however clear Hello Games of the label second-party.

Edit: My official stance is games should be allowed to charge whatever they believe they are worth. The market will decide if it's fair, not the arbitrary line between AAA and indie.

Edited by XX_FTW
  • Like 1

I would contend that such marketing equates to dollars.

I absolutely agree. Sony getting behind the project with direct cash or marketing support is worth something to HG either way. The latter might even be worth more, esp. if HG already felt that they had enough resources to complete the game on their own terms as it was, but didn't have enough resources to market on this scale. It's highly unlikely they'd have gotten on the E3 stage w/o Sony or another major player helping them out, for example. 

• Like 1

I absolutely agree. Sony getting behind the project with direct cash or marketing support is worth something to HG either way. The latter might even be worth more, esp. if HG already felt that they had enough resources to complete the game on their own terms as it was, but didn't have enough resources to market on this scale. It's highly unlikely they'd have gotten on the E3 stage w/o Sony or another major player helping them out, for example. 

Truth.

Yeah, not many indie games come out with all these collector limited edition packages. Sony have looked at this and backed it with some vigor, that alone means something. It doesn't look like the kind of game they can milk with microtransactions, so they must be assuming it's niche appeal and the good work Sean and his team have done on the game will make the game a hit.