This modern phenomena of "watching games" then critiquing...

DreakonXIII

Now I see your point with your comment here...And I only think that people who do that must really have nothing else to do with their lifes xD I mean, you mean watching a full videogame play from start to finish!? Who the heck would have the time to do that!

Could be worse, they could waste their time starting angry threads about it on random PSN fan-forums... like muah. xD

Edited by DreakonXIII
  • Like 1

I think it's great! I don't ever really slam games themselves from watching someone play online, but I love berating the people that play!

However, I do make snap judgments on games, all the time. If I play a game for three hours and hate my life, I don't need to finish the other 97 to know it sucks.

• Like 1

Could be worse, they could waste their time starting angry threads about it on random PSN fan-forums... like muah. xD

It's just...Pffttt HAHAHAHAHAHA! I mean whaaat!? Do these kids even study!?

Laughs aside, As I mentioned before, some aspects can still be criticized by watching videos.

But this is just HILARIOUS mate, thanks for making my day :D

Anyways, I think it's obvious how I feel about it.  How about you?

It's kinda like with sports; I'll watch them and think that they're the most boring things ever invented by man and then my opinion might change when actually playing them. My opinion on them would be that they are terrible sports to watch but fun sports to play. The critiques of the games are more critiques of the way they experienced them. They're allowed to form their opinions that way, but I don't think those opinions should be compared on the same level as someone who played the game because the opinions are about two different experiences. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Personally, watching anyone do something that I can do doesn't cause enjoyment so I don't.

Edited by kuuhaku

I don't need to play a game to know if I think the game is going to be good or total shit. 

You don't either... that's how you make decisions on what games to buy. 

That's the whole point of trailers pal "here's our product, buy it if you like what you see". 

Sure, people reviewing the game like they've played it, is just fucking dumb. 

But me saying "I have no interest in playing ride to hell retribution, because the graphics, gameplay and story all look like total shit" is perfectly fine. 

Maybe you agree with what I just said and your point strictly pertains to people who review it in depth without playing it; in which case I agree to a point. 

That is dumb, but if you don't agree and you think people can't gather some semblance of an opinion on the game just by watching trailers, gameplay and lets play and so on,  then there's no helping you because evidently you're completely wrong. 

People absolutely can. 

But me saying "I have no interest in playing ride to hell retribution, because the graphics, gameplay and story all look like total shit" is perfectly fine.

"look like total shit" = Fine.  A little aggressive for a game you've never actually played but no problems, it's your opinion.  You can "see" things however you like.

"are total shit" = Get outta here, and take your "factual opinions" probably regurgitated from some shitty YouTube personality with you.

... is basically where I draw that line.

Edited by DreakonXIII

"look like total shit" = Fine.  A little aggressive for a game you've never actually played but no problems, it's your opinion.  You can "see" things however you like.

"are total shit" = Get outta here, and take your "factual opinions" probably regurgitated from some shitty YouTube personality with you.

... is basically where I draw that line.

So someone can't say "the graphics and story are total shit in my opinion" and not be ridiculous in your opinion unless they've actually played it?

So someone can't say "the graphics and story are total shit in my opinion" and not be ridiculous in your opinion unless they've actually played it?

No, but if they said "the graphics and story are total shit in my opinion but it's actually not an opinion but rather a fact", then I'd have a problem.

What a bunch of semantic Nazis you guys are, my goodness.  You know what I meant.

You can form a basic opinion of the game from watching it being played. Obviously your words don't have as much merit as those coming from somebody who has played it, but that's a given.

You shouldn't let opinions get under your skin like this. The fact you go as far as saying this kinda stuff would be ban-worthy just goes to show it's bugging you way more than it should. xD

So, just to clarify here.  Your poll is clearly biased. Option 2 uses a passive aggressive statement that basically says  "Hey, I think it's okay to form an opinion from watching gameplay/reviews, and to avoid playing the game, but if I'm that person I also think you can trash and totally berate a game with no knowledge on it" and that's just simply not the case. Option 1 basically says "no one is allowed to voice their opinion on a distaste for a game". I'm sorry, but if the last 20 Tony Hawk games have sucked, what gives you the right to tell me I'm not allowed to form an opinion based on the previous 20 attempts to make a good game and watching them fail miserably? What gives you the right to say I can't form an opinion based on gameplay videos? Sure, I can eventually play it and be pleasantly surprised, or I can just say "I've made the mistake of wasting money on Tony Hawk games the past 20 times, so I'm not trying for a 21st mistake." Now, besides your poll clearly being biased, everyone is allowed to have a claim if they can make it credible. If I'm watching about halfway through the story and can tell that the story is as cliche as an 80s horror film, or I see plenty of glitches, or I see any other thing I wouldn't like in my video game, why am I not allowed to say "I think this game sucks and here's why"?  Maybe I'm overthinking things here, but it seems like you're complaining just for the sake of complaining.

So, just to clarify here.  Your poll is clearly biased. Option 2 uses a passive aggressive statement that basically says  "Hey, I think it's okay to form an opinion from watching gameplay/reviews, and to avoid playing the game, but if I'm that person I also think you can trash and totally berate a game with no knowledge on it" and that's just simply not the case. Option 1 basically says "no one is allowed to voice their opinion on a distaste for a game". I'm sorry, but if the last 20 Tony Hawk games have sucked, what gives you the right to tell me I'm not allowed to form an opinion based on the previous 20 attempts to make a good game and watching them fail miserably? What gives you the right to say I can't form an opinion based on gameplay videos? Sure, I can eventually play it and be pleasantly surprised, or I can just say "I've made the mistake of wasting money on Tony Hawk games the past 20 times, so I'm not trying for a 21st mistake." Now, besides your poll clearly being biased, everyone is allowed to have a claim if they can make it credible. If I'm watching about halfway through the story and can tell that the story is as cliche as an 80s horror film, or I see plenty of glitches, or I see any other thing I wouldn't like in my video game, why am I not allowed to say "I think this game sucks and here's why"?  Maybe I'm overthinking things here, but it seems like you're complaining just for the sake of complaining.

There's nothing that says I have to accept your awful, ignorant opinions, about games you watched someone else play, unconditionally.  Just like you don't have to accept mine about this subject.

Of course, if you wanted to let us all know your opinion without going into a tirade about the poll and trying to (poorly) dissect mine... we wouldn't be here again.

Edited by DreakonXIII

But in a world of Let's Plays, complete playthroughs, etc... I think "watching games" is slowly becoming accepted as a way of working them.  And I think that's just silly.  I understand it's free, it's economically beneficial for consumers, it's "easier", games nowadays aren't worth their weight in salt, etc, etc... but games are made to be played, not watched.  Even the interactive movies.

Let's plays are a community thing, it's like getting together with friends and talking about the things you like. I'm pretty sure the majority of people watching let's plays have already finished the game themselves and just want to see their favorite let's player go through it. People who watch complete playthroughs of games they haven't played or purchased are, in my opinion, in the minority.

Streaming and let's playing is economically beneficial for everyone, not just the consumers. The streamer/let's player gets paid, the consumer has either already bought the game or will buy it based on watching the stream/let's play, and the developers/publishers make more money, because it's basically free advertising. Not all big companies understand that, unfortunately, which only shows how disconnected they are from the fanbase.

Let's plays are a community thing, it's like getting together with friends and talking about the things you like. I'm pretty sure the majority of people watching let's plays have already finished the game themselves and just want to see their favorite let's player go through it. People who watch complete playthroughs of games they haven't played or purchased are, in my opinion, in the minority.

Streaming and let's playing is economically beneficial for everyone, not just the consumers. The streamer/let's player gets paid, the consumer has either already bought the game or will buy it based on watching the stream/let's play, and the developers/publishers make more money, because it's basically free advertising. Not all big companies understand that, unfortunately, which only shows how disconnected they are from the fanbase.

I think this is a valid point, it can be beneficial to everyone.  That's the ideal perfect world scenario.

That being said, the internet is full of bitter, angry people... myself included.  And the displeased are almost always more vocal than the pleased.  It really doesn't take much either, all it takes is a Let's Play of a game being a little too short, the story being a little too cliche, the gameplay being a little too repetitive.  Maybe the "scares" aren't "scary" enough.  Or the "big reveal" wasn't shocking enough.  To them... personally.  I can't (or rather I can, because I've seen it) imagine the rants people post in their respective communities with nothing more than a Let's Play or "complete playthrough" on YouTube in their tool belt.  Usually it's just to bait fans of the game into arguments, it's oftentimes undeserving scathing criticism for the developers/publishers.  Though I agree it works out beautifully for the streamer and the person who got to "experience the entire game" for free.

EDIT: That being said, I do acknowledge people out there simply watch Let's Play to follow a YouTube personality that they enjoy, or to get their opinions on a game to make a (somewhat) educated decision whether or not to buy it.  I think that's fine, great actually.  I just genuinely dislike that vocal minority I mentioned before, enough to want to ruin it for everyone else. xD

Edited by DreakonXIII
  • Like 1

There's nothing that says I have to accept your awful, ignorant opinions, about games you watched someone else play, unconditionally.  Just like you don't have to accept mine about this subject.

Of course, if you wanted to let us all know your opinion without going into a tirade about the poll and trying to (poorly) dissect mine... we wouldn't be here again.

I'm sorry that it's clear your poll is somewhat biased. But, I didn't try to dissect your opinion on this subject,  Nor did I go on a tirade. But what I did say was that if you want to make your points clearer, try to have something that backs up your claim, and try to have a less biased poll (which seems to have been said a lot). If you don't do either of those, your opinion loses all credibility. At that point it's just a statement.

If you don't do either of those, your opinion loses all credibility.

Someone criticizing the credibility of my opinion, while defending people's ability to have indisputable opinions on games without actually playing them.  Pot meet kettle.

EDIT: I'm not sure what I would need to "back up" my opinion exactly anyways.  Unless you believe there isn't a soul out there exploiting Let's Plays and "complete playthrough" videos for no reason other than to avoid having to pay for story heavy games, and then moan about it online... in which case, I'd say you're naive before I admit my biased opinion is unfounded.

Edited by DreakonXIII

Someone criticizing the credibility of my opinion, while defending people's ability to have indisputable opinions on games without actually playing them.  Pot meet kettle.

EDIT: I'm not sure what I would need to "back up" my opinion exactly anyways.  Unless you believe there isn't a soul out there exploiting Let's Plays and "complete playthrough" videos for no reason other than to avoid having to pay for story heavy games, and then moan about it online... in which case, I'd say you're naive before I admit my biased opinion is unfounded.

Anyone is allowed to form an opinion, yes. How ignorant are you to believe that you can't form an opinion on something if you haven't played it before? Will it be as credible? No. But can someone do it? Absolutely. So "Pot meet kettle". Yeah no. Try harder.

Edit: Oh yeah, also one more thing. Nowhere did I mention opinions=fact and were indisputable because there is no such thing. You could say ET was the best game in the world and it wouldn't be indisputable. But, the more facts you have to back up your claims, the better and more credible your opinions will be ;). Didn't your high school teachers every teach you that when writing an opinion essay?

Edited by Troy

Anyone is allowed to form an opinion, yes. How ignorant are you to believe that you can't form an opinion on something if you haven't played it before? Will it be as credible? No. But can someone do it? Absolutely. So "Pot meet kettle". Yeah no. Try harder.

So why are you arguing that I shouldn't have "stated" my biased "opinion" in this topic then?  Poll or not?  Opinions by their very nature are biased, by the way.  If I had hard evidence proving that all people watching games are scum, it'd no longer be an opinion, it'd be a fact.  Am I not allowed to form an opinion about people who watch games instead of playing them based on my experiences discussing games with said people?  Why is my opinion suddenly less credible than someone who doesn't like a game because they "didn't enjoy other games like it" or because they didn't "enjoy a video they watched of it"?  Because you don't believe this particular opinion?  Because you don't like it?

You defend one, and downplay the other.  Hence the hypocrisy of the point you're trying to make.  Hence the "pot meet kettle".

Edited by DreakonXIII

So why are you arguing that I shouldn't have "stated" my biased "opinion" in this topic then?  Poll or not?  Opinions by their very nature are biased, by the way.  If I had hard evidence proving that all people watching games are scum, it'd no longer be an opinion, it'd be a fact.  Am I not allowed to form an opinion about people who watch games instead of playing them based on my experiences discussing games with said people?  Why is my opinion suddenly less credible than someone who doesn't like a game because they "didn't enjoy other games like it" or because they didn't "enjoy a video they watched of it"?  Because you don't believe this particular opinion?  Because you don't like it?

You defend one, and downplay the other.  Hence the hypocrisy of the point you're trying to make.  Hence the "pot meet kettle".

You are so wrong on so many levels it's ridiculous. Also, no, believe it or not hard evidence does not make "gamers who don't play games they judge" "scum" a fact. Because that still would be your opinion. It's not a black and white topic. And where did I downplay your opinion? Because your poll was very biased and all you did in your opinion piece was say how you felt and you didn't say anything "While I can see it from this aspect, I don't agree with it because...." again, didn't your high school teachers ever teach you this for the opinion essays? I said it felt like you were complaining, which it felt like you were, and gave you evidence on why I felt that. That's how an opinion works.

Again, no. "pot meet kettle" still doesn't work. Keep trying :)

Edit: Also, never said your opinion meant less credible, nor did I say you couldn't form an opinion. I said if you wanted to make a better and more credible opinion, you'd use more evidence. Which is true to any extent. But apparently, you failed to understand that and read too much into it. Seems like you are doing that a lot since we're all a bunch of "semantic nazis"

Edited by Troy

EDIT: Had a whole thing written up, but I'm done.  If there was an interesting discussion to be had here, it got buried in all this nonsense.  I can't seem to find the moderation tools to lock my own thread (could've sworn that was a thing) so I'll leave it at the courtesy of the moderators to do us all a service and lock this guy up.  In the meantime, I removed the poll to avoid anyone else getting "offended" and flying off the handle about it.

Edited by DreakonXIII