Road to Golden League!

Xugashi

It will take a long time before this is possible for the average joe, what rank is the current lowest gold? Has it dropped a lot yet?

Edit: I just verified, as of now, the lowest Gold League player is rank 2092 and has exactly 4000 LP

Edited by minh2t

Edit: I just verified, as of now, the lowest Gold League player is rank 2092 and has exactly 4000 LP

Damn, so that's still like <1% of the current ranked playerbase?

On the one hand I think it's cool having a trophy that really is an achievement, but on the other I'm ass at SF, so this sits with SF4 and Super Meat Boy in my list of impossibles, lol.

You just need to train a bit, if you don't have a concept in fighting games.  I had few problems getting 4K.  You just have to keep grinding.  Those videos are ideal, though.

It will take a long time before this is possible for the average joe, what rank is the current lowest gold? Has it dropped a lot yet?

It doesn't really matter about rank because you need 4000 LP either way.

You just need to train a bit, if you don't have a concept in fighting games.  I had few problems getting 4K.  You just have to keep grinding.  Those videos are ideal, though.

It doesn't really matter about rank because you need 4000 LP either way.

Yeah, but I mean if 50k people were Gold and above, then that'd be a lot of the killers out of the way. But as is, you've still got tournament players in silver etc. So that just shows it's really a tough breakpoint to reach. That's how I look at it, at least.

Edited by Baggers
  • Like 1

Yeah, but I mean if 50k people were Gold and above, then that'd be a lot of the killers out of the way. But as is, you've still got tournament players in silver etc. So that just shows it's really a tough breakpoint to reach. That's how I look at it, at least.

The ranking is still broken because it's still pretty new and all the good players aren't out of the lower ranks yet and the cheaters (rage quitters) are not being punished.

I just got the trophy for 300 online matches (only played ranked so far) and I've won 150 (so I won exactly half of my matches, I kept score) but I'm still only around 1100 super bronze. It's hard to grow if you lose 2 matches worth of wins to 1 lost match. I hope they patch the ranking a bit so that you don't hit a brick wall past 1000. It would be nice if there was a better grow curve.

• Like 1

I got to my gold ranking a few days ago using only Nash and played around 150 matches, around 3h a day, in total. I think to get into gold league is easier than people make it out to be. You simply need to practice fundamentals and maximize your damage output with crush counters and you will get into super silver in no time. So far even some ultra silver players seem fairly unfamiliar with some aspects of the game.

• Like 2

I got to my gold ranking a few days ago using only Nash and played around 150 matches, around 3h a day, in total. I think to get into gold league is easier than people make it out to be. You simply need to practice fundamentals and maximize your damage output with crush counters and you will get into super silver in no time. So far even some ultra silver players seem fairly unfamiliar with some aspects of the game.

I agree! I use Ryu and I only learned the very basic aspects of the game and I'm able to beat most Super Silver and Ultra Silver ranked players as well as a few Gold players. I just recently made it to Silver and the opponents level of play have really spiked! That being said, they are by no means impossible! As long as you have a good defence and know how to punish and when, you'll be good to go. 

I already accepted before the game came out I'd never hit gold. The players at 3kLP are completely out of my league. I've beaten a few 2.5k players but It's mostly through gimicks or wacky gameplay. If I do sets with anyone around the 3kLP range, they just read me like an AI. I'd really like to know how LP works too, few days ago I lost to a 2900 gief, I was 1400 and I lost 70~ LP. I lost more than the average 66 which was pretty insane for a guy 1500 points over me.

• Like 2

I already accepted before the game came out I'd never hit gold. The players at 3kLP are completely out of my league. I've beaten a few 2.5k players but It's mostly through gimicks or wacky gameplay. If I do sets with anyone around the 3kLP range, they just read me like an AI. I'd really like to know how LP works too, few days ago I lost to a 2900 gief, I was 1400 and I lost 70~ LP. I lost more than the average 66 which was pretty insane for a guy 1500 points over me.

You'll never get popular with that attitude, get it? :D Because of your avatar? No? Ahem, err, moving on! :P  All you need to learn is how and when to punish opponents. In order to do that you need to learn a character really well, any that comes to mind? No? Might I recommend Ryu? He's a very well balanced character and easy to pick up. Or, you could just wait until they update the game so that you can search for opponents and then have someone boost with you. I'd gladly help out if the option was only at hand! :(   

Edited by Xugashi

What character is your current main and what is your gameplan against most characters? Most of the people with 3KLP have a gameplan and stick to it 90% of the time. The most use gameplan I've seen in SFV is be patient and punish unsafe moves with 30%-40% BnB.

Also stop being so negative about it. If you go into a match thinking that you're going to lose you have already given your opponent a huge advantage over you.

Edited by soultaker655
  • Like 1

I finally hit Silver rank over the weekend! I stagnated for about a week in the ~1200 point range, but somehow broke through to 2000. It's going to be tough getting another 2000 points, but at least the game is fun! By the way, does anybody have any advice for fighting Chun-Li? Her pokes are really fast and have a lot of range...

I ran across this video and thought I'd share it here:

Just go into training mode, set the dummy to do one of the move in the video, then find your characters BnB that can punish the move.

Saw that video yesterday. It's quite a lot to remember but if you can it's pretty useful.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally hit Silver rank over the weekend! I stagnated for about a week in the ~1200 point range, but somehow broke through to 2000. It's going to be tough getting another 2000 points, but at least the game is fun! By the way, does anybody have any advice for fighting Chun-Li? Her pokes are really fast and have a lot of range...

Block and punish bro! Here's a video to help you out not only against Chun-Li, but every character in the game minus Rashid!:D

Block and punish bro! Here's a video to help you out not only against Chun-Li, but every character in the game minus Rashid! :D

Thanks for the video! And while that is very helpful, what's been making the biggest impact on my game is mastering my anti-air and air-to-air strategies. Now if I could only stop falling for tick-throws! I'm up to 3300 super silver now, the dream is still alive.

Also, random note for anybody working on this: if you are having a lot of people rage quit on you, try setting your hardware settings to PS4 only. I've noticed a significant drop in rage quitters after cutting out the PC players.

• Like 1