March 2016 Public Service Announcement: Near Ain't Dead, Yo

DaivRules

I have come to realize that after all the vitriol spewed when Sony announced certain features on the Vita, like the Youtube application and parts of Near were being removed, that people went all doomsday and have never come to realize that not much has changed. Yes, the YouTube application was removed and really, you should blame Google. If you have a 1st gen iPad, you got the same message as if you tried to go on YouTube with the app on the Vita now:

IMG_0018.jpg

But, as anyone who has tried can tell you, YouTube still works just fine (great actually) in the browser:

2016_02_21_162816.jpg

On top of that, Near still actually works!!!

2016_02_21_161707.jpg

AAAANNNNDDD you can still give and get Near Gifts (Game Goods)!!!

2016_02_21_161552.jpg

2016_02_21_161631.jpg

Lastly, yes the Maps application was nerfed. However, the Vita has a browser and a wireless signal, so it can still find you in Google Maps (presumably Bing Maps/Yahoo Maps, but I didn't try them.) Oh and this is my neighborhood, but please don't come stalk or kill me, thanks!

2016_02_21_162747.jpg

So from now on, everyone can:

1. Spread the word that the Vita isn't dead... AND that Near STILL works on it, that will help  :P

2. Stop and NOT panic when something is going to change  :facepalm:

That would be great. Thanks everyone!

• Like 3

Well they said they were gonna removed near so if its still function then its not gone. There has to be something like a feature we never noticed or it isnt useful taken away. Sony cant just say goodbye near and lied about it..

You just realized that? Still trusting Sony  :rolleyes: smdh tbqh fam

This is why I finally got around to posting this. I have been getting near gifts every single day for the past year. *I* knew Near wasn't dead, but people like Ichiban *think* they read that Sony said they were taking Near away, when they never did.

Sony actually followed through on the only things they *did* say.

http://www.gamestop.com/ Even gamestop killed it once you don't have a bar at the top it's over.

I don't even know what that means.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps-vita

I don't see how the existence of Near, YouTube or Maps has any indication on whether or not the Vita is "dead" or not. I never used any of those, so it couldn't really care less if they were still around or not to be honest. The Vita is still getting games (I know, right!?), so as far as I'm concerned, it won't be "dead" anytime soon. Whatever that even means...

• Like 1

Mobile Youtube still stinks. It is far inferior to the Vita youtube app. 

I can't suspend a video and have to reload that video. It gets annoying when looking at youtube guides while gaming. I hate having to reload the video and remember what time stamp I have stopped at.

The youtube PSN App was amazing, it was far better in searching videos. Looking at my subscriptions with one click...it filtered better. Faster loading times and easier to scroll.

Gotten used to the mobile version ....would jump back on the Youtube Vita app if it was offered again. 

Near....you can't send Ragnarok Oddysey Cards or Unit 13 HVATS? 

Yea, Near is working, I'm pretty sure we talked about this in the original thread, but it was obviously flooded with "Vita izzz deaddzzzzzz!".

Only Google features (YT, Maps) were removed, not complete Near. 

Though... I'm not sure if the sending still works as intended in games like Kishi mentioned.

http://www.gamestop.com/ Even gamestop killed it once you don't have a bar at the top it's over.

How is gamestop even relevant? o.O

As far as I know, it's US only, US is known to not care about Vita.

I don't see how the existence of Near, YouTube or Maps has any indication on whether or not the Vita is "dead" or not. I never used any of those, so it couldn't really care less if they were still around or not to be honest. The Vita is still getting games (I know, right!?), so as far as I'm concerned, it won't be "dead" anytime soon. Whatever that even means...

People will jump at every chance to call the best product dead :awesome:

Edited by Satoshi Ookami
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...