I've never played the Uncharted series before - should I skip the first game and start on 2?

i've heard in reviews that the first game hasnt aged that well in comparison with the next two games. i like to work on platinum a game from start before proceeding to the next. i like to invest time on games i like and enjoy.

is the first game still worth playing, or can i skip it and start on the second if i haven't missed much, story-wise?

finally, i know completing 'brutal' mode isnt needed for the trophy, but how hard is it and how hard is 'crushing'? are these modes are hard as, say, hardcore mode in deadspace 2, or akumu mode in evil within?

thanks

If you REALLY don't want to then you can still enjoy the series without investing time into the first one. However I personally believe that the first one is still a great game even if it hasn't aged as well as the other Uncharted titles.

It still have clever dialogue, fast paced shootouts and a cool story.

It's a pretty easy platinum too so if you choose to start it, the only problem you might be facing is playing the game on the harder difficulties. 

Anyway that's just my opinion! I hope you enjoy your time with the other titles in the series at least! (if you choose to not proceed with the first one.)  :D

• Like 2

if you care for the story then play 1 first, if you don't then play them in whatever order you want

Crushing was reasonably easy in 2 and 3 somewhat more tougher in the 1st game, and from what i've heard Brutal is a decent challenge 

if you don't play the first one then you will probably won't understand some references that might be in the other games of the franchise, and even in the upcoming one, and you will not understand the connection between some characters that were first introduced in the first game, so yeah don't listen to reviews they were only talking about the graphic side which isn't even that bad in the remaster, i say you play them all from start to finish to get the whole story.

personally gameplay-wise the first game is still my favorite.

Edited by smellslikejavier

I'd recommend starting with the first one. While the graphics are quite unimpressive compared to 2 and 3, the remastered version on PS4 runs and looks great, and the gameplay is pretty comparable to the sequels.

I'm not sure I'd recommend playing the game on Crushing your first time around without any previous knowledge. It might get a bit frustrating and take away the enjoyment of the game.

I haven't attempted Brutal yet, but from what I've seen it's comically difficult to the point of being downright broken in certain parts of the game.

• Like 1

For Crushing and Brutal difficulties I recommend the youtube guide from "SquareOneGames" channel as he provides good useful commentary on all combat sections of all 3 games. I haven't tried them yet but i definitely will when I start a Crushing run.

Here is a link starting from Drakes Fortune Chapter 1:

Edited by parkerdip

I recommend playing it, thinking back now I wouldn't have been as invested in the characters if I didn't. Although after beating the first one I wasn't tempted to boot up the second, but because I grew attached to the characters I did, and I'm glad I did! The 2nd is the best imo. Whether I would say that if I didn't play the first, I don't know

Edited by Dav9834

i've heard in reviews that the first game hasnt aged that well in comparison with the next two games. i like to work on platinum a game from start before proceeding to the next. i like to invest time on games i like and enjoy.

It is true that the first game hasn't aged well, but tbh you HAVE to start there.  As for the difficulty they are nowhere near as difficult as dead space 2 on hardcore.  I haven't even attempted Akumu mode on evil within,  if you have (and beaten it) then Uncharted (all 3) on crushing will be easy (in fact you might be disappointed)

If you were to compare it movies.  Uncharted 1 - Alien, Uncharted 2 - Aliens, Uncharted 3 , well that's where my comparison ends :(

Edited by delboy_rules

I didn't think UDF aged at all, the game is still very much playable and enjoyable. It does feel weird when you 1st play it but you'll get used to it fast, and it will make the 2nd game feel and look better, so i definitely recommend playing it. The dialogue is fun and you'll understand some of the references made in U2 about UDF, it's also always nice to see how much a series has improved.  :)

The platinum is easy, Crushing isn't hard if you take your time. Brutal is all about knowledge and luck though (combined with patience), in Brutal you die in 1~2 hits and at some points you'll need the enemy shots to not kill you on the 1st shot so you'll be able to progress.

I will never understand how people (not you, but in general) can so easily dismiss any game in a series that they are supposedly interested in exploring.

Explore! Just as Drake and Sully have! Each game (that includes the first) is an explosive Hollywood adventure blockbuster featuring one of the best video game characters to grace the last-gen in wise-cracking Nathan Drake. You'd be doing yourself a disservice not to experience his triumphant debut.

Besides, Uncharted and its sequels have aged like fine wine.

And with the popularity for backwards compatibility, PS2 ports, HD remasters, more Mega Man collection reiterations and retro games, I think you're safe from mistaking Uncharted for some shitty Pong clone or something.

Edited by AdventCloud7
  • Like 2

The first one is definitely a step below 2 and 3, and you could probably survive skipping it since the story was never really the focus of the franchise anyways... but it's still a great game and a welcome addition to any Playstation owners library.  It's like saying pure silver isn't worth owning just because it isn't gold.  It's just as shiny, right?  If you have the Nathan Drake collection, there's really no reason to avoid it.

Edited by DreakonXIII

I honestly prefer UC1 and UC3, story-wise, over UC2. :P UC2 was pretty much just a repeat, and a worse on at that, of UC1. UC1 is in no way a terrible game, or have terrible controls or whatever. They just improved the controls a bit with the second game.

I don't really play shooter games. I started with the first one, and played the second one shortly afterwards. Honestly didn't notice much difference other than me not liking UC2 as much.

Edited by MMDE

Drake's Fortune is still the best one in my opinion. It might be shorter than the others but I thought the Remastered version played incredibly well. It got rid of the aspect of the controller balance thing which probably annoyed more people than not.

Crushing can have it's moments but it's definitely not the most difficult "difficulty" option around. I'd say compare the percentages of Crushing to the trophies dealing with Hardcore and Akumu but it's not exactly an accurate measure by any means. However, given what I've heard about Akumu and Hardcore, Crushing should have all the pressure of a baby's grip on you.

As for the story...each game deals with it's own thing but you'd be missing slight hints into the characters Nathan, Sully, and Elena. 

You don't need to play them in order to enjoy them. I played them in a really strange order and never felt like I didn't know what was going on. If I was to do it again I probably would start at the beginning though. 

I played 

Golden Abyss (vita)

4 on pre order. 

I'll say go and try out UC1, you can probably find a cheap copy at your local store. It's easy enough that you can play through quick enough and really only two spots gave me issues and that was on Crushing. If you're not in the mood, then find a good Let's Play of it so you're caught up with the story. Its hard to understand some of the character's interactions if you aren't caught up with their history, but that's just me.