PS4 disc drive repair cost

Infected Elite

does anybody know how much this would be?

my disc drive is apparently fucked. works smooth for a day then fucky the next. I basically have already decided if its not worth the price to fix, ill just smash it in a sony store and go buy a new console. they are cheap anyways. But yeah,

i need a new disc drive. was watching a dvd, took it out and played a game, put in the SAME dvd to continue watching (it was a season of simpsons), and it wouldnt read the disc.

what type of fool made the ps4 such a weak system internally? built to last my ass. All of a year just so warrenty is gone.

Edited by LegacyJKO09

what type of fool made the ps4 such a weak system internally? built to last my ass. All of a year just so warrenty is gone.

Pretty sure that if they sell the console in my country, they are not allowed to only offer 1 year warranty. :P

Pretty sure that if they sell the console in my country, they are not allowed to only offer 1 year warranty. :P

how much warranty do you have? 

i mean if i bought that protection crap from the sony store, that doesnt cover warranty does it? thats just some weird data protection plan?

how much warranty do you have? 

i mean if i bought that protection crap from the sony store, that doesnt cover warranty does it? thats just some weird data protection plan?

My country has different consumer laws than many other countries in the world. I'm not sure about the exact amount of years, I think it can be either 2 or 5 years, but there's also cases where it's 1 year. It very much depends on expected life time of the product. There has been lots of discussion about this when it comes to mobile phones.

my disc drive is apparently fucked. works smooth for a day then fucky the next. I basically have already decided if its not worth the price to fix, ill just smash it in a sony store and go buy a new console. they are cheap anyways. But yeah, 

i need a new disc drive. was watching a dvd, took it out and played a game, put in the SAME dvd to continue watching (it was a season of simpsons), and it wouldnt read the disc.

You have a years manufacturer warranty then you have to buy your own. Sell the console for spares or repairs or you could fix it. 

• Like 1

Many people have had problems with the PS4 Disc reading and the general consensus is a re-boot to get  it going again. Many other people have had a problem with as little as a finger print making a disc unreadable. I notice that my drive will play up if I start the PS4 by pressing the eject button, a re-boot fixes this for me.

I've had countless problems with my PS4 and ive only had it just over a year so i understand his frustrations. Faulty disc drive problems, double beeping when shutting off properly, totally freezing up leaving me no option but to unplug it. Even down to the DS4 controller which i am now on my 3rd one (and no i arent rough with them), L2 and R2 problems with the controller are quite common aswell as toggle problems aswell. Yes it deserves a lot of praise for a lot of reasons, but its also a very 'dodgy' machine aswell.

I've never had controller issues other than using them as Frisbee when mad at the console. Lol but they are easy to fix. Controllers are cheap though so.

But yeah, I've always kept clean discs. Even with cats we always insert discs when they aren't in the room so no fur is around. We dust the machine out and we almost always grab discs by the edge and that's it. Nothing touching the top or bottom or middle when inserting.

So since I doubt ill take it I , and this problem seems more common now than I thought. What has worked the most?

I've tried reinstalling firmware. Worked fine for most part. But now dvds are hit and miss...

And sorry for the last comment. Edited post.

I've never had controller issues other than using them as Frisbee when mad at the console. Lol but they are easy to fix. Controllers are cheap though so.

But yeah, I've always kept clean discs. Even with cats we always insert discs when they aren't in the room so no fur is around. We dust the machine out and we almost always grab discs by the edge and that's it. Nothing touching the top or bottom or middle when inserting.

So since I doubt ill take it I , and this problem seems more common now than I thought. What has worked the most?

I've tried reinstalling firmware. Worked fine for most part. But now dvds are hit and miss...

And sorry for the last comment. Edited post.

I tend to use my PS3 or an actual BD/DVD player to watch movies just so my PS4 drive doesnt get over used. Also i noticed you can get drive problems if the PS4 is overheating. Do you keep it in a quite open space or is it in a confined spot. Confined it over heats very quickly.

OP, I also just use a Sony BR player for DVD/BR playing or netflix, It was $90 and doesn't create the heat a gaming console does. Of course this isn't always and option I understand. The ps4 installs your games and than just checks the disc, so it's not always reading discs. Anyway I'm being completely honest by saying that my PS4 has never been able to read discs if I turn it on by the inject, I know this isn't your problem or common but it does show how picky your console can be. Mine was bought in the 1st month so it's doing pretty well considering, I even have a 4tb hooked up with a Nyko Data Bank. I guess owners just need to know their console?

Good luck in a fix

I tend to use my PS3 or an actual BD/DVD player to watch movies just so my PS4 drive doesnt get over used. Also i noticed you can get drive problems if the PS4 is overheating. Do you keep it in a quite open space or is it in a confined spot. Confined it over heats very quickly.

It's on a shelf by itself.with nothing above beside or behind. All open area for ventilation.. system never overheats. Fans are relatively quiet 99% of the time as well.

OP, I also just use a Sony BR player for DVD/BR playing or netflix, It was $90 and doesn't create the heat a gaming console does. Of course this isn't always and option I understand. The ps4 installs your games and than just checks the disc, so it's not always reading discs. Anyway I'm being completely honest by saying that my PS4 has never been able to read discs if I turn it on by the inject, I know this isn't your problem or common but it does show how picky your console can be. Mine was bought in the 1st month so it's doing pretty well considering, I even have a 4tb hooked up with a Nyko Data Bank. I guess owners just need to know their console?

Good luck in a fix

Might use the ps3 for movies now then. Ease up the use of the ps4.