Is this game hard?

• 4 weeks later...

I just recently completed this game the other day and I thought I would share some of my thoughts about the game. I should explain that this was my first GoW game and I've never played GoW 1 or 2. Nevertheless the game does a good job of explaining the backstory to newcomers like myself so I never felt lost. The game was filled with a couple of cool moments such as Kratos' flying in the air while avoiding falling debris. You also felt a sort of macabre satisfaction anytime you killed one of the gods. And, as far as hack n slash games go, it was a solid game loaded with cool weapons for you to utilise in destroying the underworld's army. Unfortunately, the games faults far outweighed the positives.

Firstly, I disliked Kratos as a protagonist. He was just constantly angry and shouting his dialogue all the time. While the other characters had noteworthy and, sometimes, epic dialogue, Kratos sounded like a five year old child at times. Here is an actual dialogue exchange between Kratos and Hephaustus that had me shaking my head.

KRATOS: I seek the Flame of Olympus. Do you know it?

HEPHAUSTUS: For what purpose, Spartan?

KRATOS: For the purpose I have chosen.

Thankfully, the other characters in the game (the supporting cast if you will) made up for Kratos' lack of enunciation.  However, the most important negative that the game had going for it was the mechanics of the game. Far too often I felt like I died cheaply because the game didn't respond to the buttons I was pressing. For example, when I double jump and glide over a crevass in the pathway, Kratos would somehow fall down the crevass. Or he wouldn't perform his double jump and he would die. This would take me a couple of attempts before I could land safely across the other side. I know this sounds like I wasn't pressing the buttons on time or I was doing something wrong, but trust me, I did exactly the same thing every time before he made that jump. There were other frustrating moments in the game, such as climbing up the side of a mountain and enemies are approaching and you press the :square: button to attack and Kratos take such. A. Long. Time. To. Attack.....This scenario is made even more frustrating when you are trying to quickly climb up somewhere because the thing you are climbing on is on fire, enemies are approaching, and the game just doesn't respond to the buttons you are pressing (either :cross: to jump or :square: to attack an enemy) resulting in yet another cheap death.

I also had issues with simply walking at times during the game. For example, near the start of the game after Kratos falls down to Hades and climbs out of the River Styx, I would press forward and he just wouldn't move. I would try to adjust the L-stick around to see where the game wanted me to go and he would slowly move an inch at a time. It shouldn't take me almost 90 seconds to round a corner. Other times Kratos would run, then jog, then do a brisk stroll, then jog again before returning to a brisk stroll (was there a secret stamina bar that I was unaware of?).

Thankfully, none of these issues presented itself during the most important aspect of the game - the combat. As I said before, as far as hack n slash games go, the combat was really good and you could switch between weapons quickly to perform cool combos and deal a lot of damage to enemies. Unfortunately, there are better hack n slash games out there that perform better than GoW did.

OVERALL VERDICT: This was my first God of War game. It will also be my last.

• 1 year later...