Did this annoy anyone else?

Alex_Fyrehart

Yeah op, that Final battle was tedious. I remember that I was playing Maximo and Sly Cooper at that same time period, and got to the end of all of them around the sametime. I think Sly's final fight was alot worse than R&C's - but honestly they all could have benefited from checkpoint saves during the different parts of their final battles.

Well, you can always prepare well... really well.

Sly's final boss gave me more trouble than RnC's too (I already had the RYNO by the time I went to face Drek), but I just stocked on lives in the first hub for the lots of retries. And Maximo... oh, Maximo. Going to the Underground, getting the Armageddon, running to the exit while avoiding the enemies, so no drop of the precious magic would be lost... All for the pleasure of giving Achille the taste of his own medicine. That is, drowning the whole battle arena in darkness. *cackle* Good times.

Edited by NetEntity
  • Like 1

Lol, you are literally the first person I've met in somewhile who A.) Played Maximo, and B.) Knew what the heck I was talking about when I speak of that battle. :D Ashame too, so under-appreciated that game. I also see you completed Batien Kiatos and Batien Kiatos Origin - another amazing gem of a saga so few have played thru.

It's always a pleasure to meet a fellow retro gamer. To discover an old gem is always thrilling, to be among the very few that are aware of it - not so much... but that's how things usually are.

Both Maximo games are my favorites in the GnG series. The shame that the third one was canned. The storyboard and design scraps that were left got me quite excited (and depressed soon after that, as it usually happens when exploring the gaming graveyard - most perished are lost forever, zombies are rare, and fully ressurected are even rarer). I've recently discovered that the small demo actually was created... though it's highly unlikely we'll ever get our hands on it. At least there is a little speck of footage on YouTube.

Edited by NetEntity

From what I have heard, the actually demo was destroyed, beyond the remains of footage. Maximo 3 would have been fantastic too.  :( Sadly though, the original RE4  concept demo from 2003 that featured hook-man is actually more likely to surface.

Speaking of canned gems, I think in the grand history of gaming there was no greater loss than when Whoopee Camp suddenly shut it's doors forever. Apparently they had a completed (beginning to end) alpha of Tomba! 3, finished and burnt onto a disc which was being circulated amongst them. Based on what the former-devs have admitted, it was destroyed via fire as part of a legal request. But... I personally believe someone (perhaps Mr. Fujiwara himself) still has a secreted copy as a momento. It was a year of hardwork, why not hangon to a piece of it? :)

Aw, a damned shame. Well, we can only hope.

RE4... The development struggles of this game are extremely interesting, but also a bit painful to look at. I was fascinated by the RE 3.5 and its story potential (I suspect that it was supposed to link Gaiden to the main line, but after the 3.5 was scrapped, its story was slightly altered to push it into "gaiden", non-canon territory). It was sad to see it go. Well, I still can feel its traces in the final game, so at least I know it's still kinda... there. Not to mention, that many RE 3.5 assets, including the famed blue light were found still lingering in the trial disc. 

Edited by NetEntity
  • Like 1

Pretty much decided I'm gonna go for the 1 million bolts trophy before I go do the boss fight again. Mainly because I haven't got the last two health upgrades, I just realised. lol. Might come in handy. :P

Plus of course it obviously seems easier to get the million first, THEN go buy everything, rather than bugger about basically resetting it a lot. So yeah. I'll get the million, then the health upgrades I missed, then the RYNO. May take a while, but I am sitting around 40,000. So that's a start.

Also, I even decided "fuck it" and tried the glitch.......must've been doing it wrong because it didn't work. lol.

Edit: I've read on another site that it's impossible to get all 10 "Gold weapons" on your first playthrough. Is that true?

Edited by Thomas_Fyrehart

I'm not completely aganist this mechanic, but again, it depends on the game. It may be bad in FFXIII \ XIII-2 (haven't played them yet, so I can't really say), but in Baten Kaitos Origins, for example, it's an absolute lifesaver, because you can't heal on the field and the battles there often range from pretty hard to extremely brutal. 

While it is true that it can be a useful mechanic, where the game then can throw much harder battles on you each time, expecting you to have full health at the beginning of each battle, then this is not the case with FFXIII. The game is very easy, and there's absolutely no risk or punishment from dying or anything like that. It's just made more casual, one less thing to pay attention to.

It's always a pleasure to meet a fellow retro gamer. 

huh, so PS2 has become retro now? I didn't even know PS1 was considered retro, but I guess it kind of has become that, but PS2??? =P 

Edit: I've read on another site that it's impossible to get all 10 "Gold weapons" on your first playthrough. Is that true?

I think you can only get like 4 of the 10 gold weapons in first playthrough. Furthermore, it's much easier to get bolts in second playthrough. It's even true that the first time you're in an area, you get more bolts than when you've completed it. Just get the health upgrades, if you need that, and go into challenge mode. In challenge mode you can stack up a multiplier and get many times the amount of bolts for everything you do.

Also, I personally abused this glitch for grinding bolts:

• Like 1

As I said earlier,  I've tried that glitch. Couldn't get it to work for some reason. lol. Not sure what I was doing wrong but, eh, there ya go. Though yeah I guess I'll finish the game then go through challenge mode. And as far as gold weapons goes, I count at least 5 that you can get the first time around.

Weird thing was though, I started just doing stuff to get skill points, and randomly got 15 after thinking I only had 11 or so. lol. Hard to keep track of which ones I've got and which ones I haven't, considering only a few of them are trophies.

Weird thing was though, I started just doing stuff to get skill points, and randomly got 15 after thinking I only had 11 or so. lol. Hard to keep track of which ones I've got and which ones I haven't, considering only a few of them are trophies.

Might be I remember wrong, but I thought there was a menu that showed which skill points you've done. Might be I mix up with some of the previous games.

Also, the glitch, what weren't you able to do? If it's the going through the wall part, then you gotta get pushed out by duplicates IIRC, and it should be in a corner.

Might be I remember wrong, but I thought there was a menu that showed which skill points you've done. Might be I mix up with some of the previous games.

Not that I can see, no. There may actually be one but yeah, I can't seem to find it.

Also, the glitch, what weren't you able to do? If it's the going through the wall part, then you gotta get pushed out by duplicates IIRC, and it should be in a corner.

Yeah the wall part I had difficulty with. Though I probably just didn't throw down enough decoys or something. Edited by Thomas_Fyrehart

huh, so PS2 has become retro now? I didn't even know PS1 was considered retro, but I guess it kind of has become that, but PS2??? =P 

How fast the time flies, eh? I'm not really used to it myself, but with the 6th generation falling farther and farther into the depths of archives and gaming sites and whatnot, I sorta started to get it under the retro banner also. Of course the whole retro moniker is relative, but I'm just used to correlate it with the meaning "old", and pre-2006 PS2\GC or GBA games are old enough for me to start call them retro. After all, "old games that not many play now" doesn't sound as enticing.

Edited by NetEntity

Mother of God is this boss fight annoying. Made it further along than usual thanks to the extra life I now have but bloody hell. All the extra crap he throws in your way makes it way too hard to concentrate on everything.

All I want it to beat the bastard so I can move on to R&C 2, damn it! Fuck it I'm saving up for the RYNO, this is getting way too frustrating and is still extremely tedious. *sigh*

On the plus side, I did manage to finally get that damn "girl problems" trophy. lol.

You're talking to someone who've played R&C series since the PS2 era. Its actually quite easy, I only died once, and that was when I thought I could outswim the sharks at Qwark's HQ. Take the time to learn the patterns, and you should be able to get it down quite easily. Just be thankful that it didn't make you redo the whole game like some games do (I'm looking at you Dead Space 3).

yeah, kinda...

you see, unlike R&C 2, 3 and dread lock. I played the very first R&C game on the ps3 as I never got the chance to play it on the original platform the ps2. that dick move about the check point that'll took you way back to the very beginning of the final boss fight did annoyed me. in fact, I thought it's a bug only happen in the remaster HD version, but I pass it after like 4 tries.

this is actually nothing compared to the final boss of the "not made by insomniac games" R&C size matter. where the final boss is literally unbeatable on challenge mode... you'll run out of ammunition and he'll still be running around! and if you died you'll get back to the last check point of fighting him with no ammunition!! hitting him with the wrench don't do anything too. of course, it was a PSP & a ps2 game meaning they can't patch it and so, I remember a lot's of people got so pissed about size matter as you cannot 100% it due to the bugged final boss.

You're talking to someone who've played R&C series since the PS2 era. Its actually quite easy, I only died once, and that was when I thought I could outswim the sharks at Qwark's HQ. Take the time to learn the patterns, and you should be able to get it down quite easily. Just be thankful that it didn't make you redo the whole game like some games do (I'm looking at you Dead Space 3).

The patterns are easy enough to get down. It's mainly just the fact I usually have crappy timing, and am easily distracted. So all those extra bots and spike balls he drops throw me off cause you have to dodge everything, whilst also whittling down his health.

The game's also really inconsistent with the ammo drops in that boss fight I've noticed. Sometimes it will give you more ammo (sometimes more than usual), other times it'll basically be like "Oh, you want more ammo? That's cute". Seriously there was at least one go round where they never seemed to give me a chance to refill my ammo. Or by the time they did (which would've been pretty late in the fight) it was too late.

• 2 weeks later...

(It's been a while so I'd say I could be forgiven for "double posting")

Well, it's been like....holy crap only ten days? Wow. Feels like longer. Anyway, point is, I FINALLY BEAT THE BASTARD WOOHOO! Wanted to get it over and done with, so after farming/grinding (whichever makes more sense) for bolts, I said "screw it" and attempted the boss fight again.......and on like.....the 6th attempt that sitting (a few had very facepalm-y "I fell off something by accident" moments) I finally beat him.

Was thrown off though when the trophy didn't pop, then realised it must just wait until after the credits to do so....which it did. lol. Started the...challenge mode thing(?) now. Turns out THAT'S when the game starts keeping track of the skill points you've got in a way you can see. Also turns out I have about 24-26 out of 30 too. Though I'm not doing as well when it comes to the gold bolts. lol. To be honest I might take a longer break from trying to plat this game and move on to playing R&C 2 (literally never played it, hence why it and also R&C 3 don't show up on my profile :P ).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So, I'm playing through Ratchet & Clank for the first time at the moment, and I'm up to the final boss.....

Anyone else get really friggin' annoyed by how, if you die during the boss fight, you practically have to do the entire thing over again? I mean sure, the boss fight itself isn't exactly all that long compared to others, but bloody hell. It gets pretty damn tedious having to do most of it over and over and over again. Also a waste of bolts.

I didn't necessarily rage quit, but I did basically tell the game to go fuck itself and stopped playing. lol. Just too damn tired today to put up with that tedium for much longer. Almost as annoying as the Rayman 3 end fight. lol.

So yeah, did anyone else find this boss fight annoying/and or tedious?

I don't understand, the boss fight was incredibly short. Just spam RYNO on him, and be done with it. Now for the rest of the game, the checkpoints were fucking TERRIBLE! The negatives outweigh the positives for me on this game. I wish the checkpoint system was like Portal where it saves at each major path change or where your position is when manually saved. The things that frustrated me on this game is the checkpoints, swimming thru the tunnel w/o O2 helmet, the space fights/turret defense, and of course, the hoverboard races! So my rating for this game is a 5/10. 

• 2 years later...

When i first got to play this 4 years ago this was the exact reason i quited. I can still remember not being able to get past the boss fight. But according to my trophies, i also didn't have ultra nanotech or the R.H.Y.N.O. at the time, so that would have made it much more difficult.