Let's Play Catherine

A quick mini-update. Completed 64 stages of Rapunzel. Just 64 more to go. Oh joy  :|

Yep, so many frustrating stages that the list could just keep on going and going. I must have gotten lucky on stage 9-2 because I didn't have too much of a problem with the moving monster blocks. Stage 9-6 was really really easy compared to 9-5, but there was one little part right near the end that I never could find a consistent way to get past. Even in the guide videos I watched, they just pulled some ridiculous luck to get by it. Kind of hard to  describe it without using a video, but maybe you know the part that I'm talking about. I was about to give up and come ask you advisers for any advice, but then on my last run two monster blocks just magically moved into place and created some obvious steps. 

Nice, congrats :yay:.

Yeah, 9-6 was ridiculously easy after 9-5. I think I know which part you mean. I lost my combo a few times around 3.30 in the vid below. I also died quite a few times at 2.31 when pushing the block and Dumuzid starts his meteor attack, which meant I couldn't move and got crushed by the falling block  :rolleyes: .

Arrrrrrggggghhhhhh (pulls hair out)

Count me in please.

Added, welcome to the event :D.

Edited by Dragon-Archon

Yeah, 9-6 was ridiculously easy after 9-5. I think I know which part you mean. I lost my combo a few times around 3.30 in the vid below. I also died quite a few times at 2.31 when pushing the block and Dumuzid starts his meteor attack, which meant I couldn't move and got crushed by the falling block  :rolleyes: .

Am I the only one who thought 9-6 was even harder than 9-5?...

And watching your video made me realize Dumuzid is voiced by Wakamoto Norio in the Japanese version... which reignited my anger at Atlus and their stupid dub-only policy (despite the good dubs) :shakefist:

Nice, congrats :yay:.

Haha, I died the exact same way at 2:31. That delay that happens and some of the camera angles used when certain bosses perform moves can be really annoying. Can't remember if it was 9-6 or another boss, but on my normal playthrough I died because that pause/delay happened right when I was running over a spike trap. :facepalm:

Yep, that's the section I was talking about at 3:30 in the vid. I lost my combo there several times until I finally got lucky. I just could never get the blocks to move like they do in that video or even get that spring to appear in the right place.

Personally, I thought 9-6 was much easier than 9-5. Mainly because the boss is much less annoying and doesn't do much that can kill your run, unless you just get unlucky and move right into one of the falling meteors. There was one little section mentioned above that I lost my combo on several times, but other than that it wasn't too bad. I hated 9-5 because those gun shots took forever and made me lose my combo often or destroyed the block I was trying to use. Not to mention that annoying stomp he does. I could never tell where exactly he was going to stomp because of the camera angle.

And watching your video made me realize Dumuzid is voiced by Wakamoto Norio in the Japanese version... which reignited my anger at Atlus and their stupid dub-only policy (despite the good dubs) :shakefist:

Yea... don't even make me remember that, it costed me the first try :awesome:

Most likely. I found 9-6 a lot easier because it's possible to manipulate the block transformations and get trampoline blocks.

Haha, I died the exact same way at 2:31. That delay that happens and some of the camera angles used when certain bosses perform moves can be really annoying. Can't remember if it was 9-6 or another boss, but on my normal playthrough I died because that pause/delay happened right when I was running over a spike trap. :facepalm:

Yep, that's the section I was talking about at 3:30 in the vid. I lost my combo there several times until I finally got lucky. I just could never get the blocks to move like they do in that video or even get that spring to appear in the right place.

Oh yeah, forgot about Dumuzid activating meteor when walking over a trap block :facepalm:. I just kept pulling a block around until I got a trampoline block, after a few tries I could do it while keeping the combo.

Normal.  I am a bit worried about the timer though. (I know I am just starting out and its gonna get tough).  

Are the later difficulties based on reaction speed rather than intelligence?  

I ain't gonna quit but I am just interested in whether its going to be another Vanquish (I am just not that quick enough anymore)   

Do you know what I mean?

Normal.  I am a bit worried about the timer though. (I know I am just starting out and its gonna get tough).  

I ain't gonna quit but I am just interested in whether its going to be another Vanquish (I am just not that quick enough anymore)   

Do you know what I mean?

Ok, don't worry about the timer. This game gets easier when you learn new techniques and recognize patterns.

The puzzles are different on Hard, so doing Normal first will prepare you for that. However, the combo meter depletes faster and you have no undo button. You can follow a video to get gold rewards, but I definitely recommend to do the first playthrough on Normal without watching a video. That will force you to recognize patterns and memorize the moves, instead of blindly following a vid without learning anything. 

Today I got a new (used..) PS3, so I'm back to this system, said that, I'm also into the Lets Finish SAO: Hollow Fragment thing.. so I'm unsure when I will get back to this, but I will join this, since the deadline it's still quite far!

Awesome, let me know when you're finished with SAO HF. 

Do you know what I mean?

When you say reaction speed, are you referring to how fast you actually physically push buttons and perform moves or to quick thinking and identifying what you actually need to do? To me, the most important thing is just figuring out what to do quickly. Once you have a plan or an idea of what you need to do (or use a guide), then actually performing the moves and climbing can usually be done without worrying too much about the timer. Not sure if that answers your question, but I guess my answer is intelligence but done quickly since you can't stand around trying to figure out what to do for too long.

Once you get used to the game and mechanics, you'll find a few ways to help with the combo timer. When you reach a new area, instead of rushing up as high as you can initially go, maybe try saving that 1st easy step up to give you a few more seconds to observe and analyze the section. Then step up once you are comfortable with what you want to do, or if the combo meter is getting low. Small things like that can help you keep the combo meter going.

Also, it's an obvious tip, but since you are currently playing on Normal, don't be too afraid to use that Undo button. That can be a lifesaver when it comes to going for gold and especially with the bosses. If your combo timer is about to run out, just move any block near you, hit the undo button and your meter will automatically go back to full. That can be extremely useful when you are first learning the mechanics/techniques and if you are in the middle of some longer complex moves and the timer is running low. Just don't abuse that button too much though, since you won't be able to use it on the harder difficulties.

• Like 2

When you say reaction speed, are you referring to how fast you actually physically push buttons and perform moves or to quick thinking and identifying what you actually need to do? To me, the most important thing is just figuring out what to do quickly. Once you have a plan or an idea of what you need to do (or use a guide), then actually performing the moves and climbing can usually be done without worrying too much about the timer. Not sure if that answers your question, but I guess my answer is intelligence but done quickly since you can't stand around trying to figure out what to do for too long.

Thanks for the advice ^^ is exactly what I mean.  I don't think I have the reaction speed for some games any more (even after copious amounts of coffee).  So if it's more about cerebral speed I think I should be ok.

Finished all of the Rapunzel related trophies! I actually liked the concept or the idea behind the mini-game. Not having to worry at all about a timer or being rushed, and focusing more on strategy to get through each puzzle in the least amount of moves was a nice change of pace compared to the main game. However, I agree with most people that there were way way too many levels and it just became a grind. 15-20 levels would have been enough, 64 levels was a painful grind, 128 levels was just the developers being cruel. 

No more excuses or putting it off, it's time for Babel. I'll probably start later today or tomorrow. If you all don't hear from me in the next week or two, it's probably because Babel has me questioning trophy hunting and my future gaming in general. In order to avoid the shame of not being able to complete the quest, I may have decided to live a quiet, peaceful life, completely off the grid.  :P

• Like 1

Finished all of the Rapunzel related trophies! I actually liked the concept or the idea behind the mini-game. Not having to worry at all about a timer or being rushed, and focusing more on strategy to get through each puzzle in the least amount of moves was a nice change of pace compared to the main game. However, I agree with most people that there were way way too many levels and it just became a grind. 15-20 levels would have been enough, 64 levels was a painful grind, 128 levels was just the developers being cruel. 

No more excuses or putting it off, it's time for Babel. I'll probably start later today or tomorrow. If you all don't hear from me in the next week or two, it's probably because Babel has me questioning trophy hunting and my future gaming in general. In order to avoid the shame of not being able to complete the quest, I may have decided to live a quiet, peaceful life, completely off the grid.  :P

Nicely done. Good luck with Babel.

• Like 1

Each level of Rapunzel is taking me like an hour each. It's why I haven't gotten a trophy in months. At this rate, 128 levels will take me 200+ hours. It's too much, I agree.

Altar completed. In the wise words of delboy_rules, in your face Babel B).............

(Sorry, I was joking and completely take back what I just said. Please Babel, forgive me and take mercy on me in the other stages)

Awesome, congrats :yay:. Only 3 more to go.

Edited by Dragon-Archon

Good news: I beat Menhir and the Obelisk, so only have Axis Mundi left for the platinum.  :)

Bad news: Axis Mundi is totally kicking my ass.  :(

Any advice for taking on this stage? I know a lot of people thought Axis Mundi was easier than the Obelisk, but I'm just completely lost right now. The first few attempts, I could barely even make it to double digit steps. My best run was somewhere in the 60's (probably by pure luck) before everything just fell apart. I had a good idea on what I needed to do for the other 3 stages, but not with this one. Major parts of the tower just keep falling off and I end up on one side with nowhere to move. I'm already playing it on pairs due to the solo glitch, I just can't figure out what to do.

• Like 1

On my best and winning run of Am I switched towers multiple times on the divided sections. Go up a level or two and then make a bridge back across. I found that if I tried to go up toi far on one side I would screw it up too much and get stranded. 

Also. Try to master the double push/pull. Clear out blocks you don't need, line up both characters. Grab hold and shove together. It's a good way to clear out the whole tower if it gets too screwed up. 

AM is all about clearing the first areas as fast as you can to get some breathing room. Once you're up past 50 or so you can afford to do a little more planning. 

I don't know if you know this one,  but if you're seriously desperate you can use the PS button to pause the level and still be able to see. I didn't have to resort to this,  but it is a last ditch method if you really feel you need it. 

I had waaaaaay more trouble with Obelisk due to the random blocks. I always seemed to get exactly what I didn't need and failed within site of the podium like 4 times. 

Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 1

Good news: I beat Menhir and the Obelisk, so only have Axis Mundi left for the platinum.  :)

Bad news: Axis Mundi is totally kicking my ass.  :(

Any advice for taking on this stage? I know a lot of people thought Axis Mundi was easier than the Obelisk, but I'm just completely lost right now. The first few attempts, I could barely even make it to double digit steps. My best run was somewhere in the 60's (probably by pure luck) before everything just fell apart. I had a good idea on what I needed to do for the other 3 stages, but not with this one. Major parts of the tower just keep falling off and I end up on one side with nowhere to move. I'm already playing it on pairs due to the solo glitch, I just can't figure out what to do.

Awesome, congrats :yay:.

I found Axis Mundi is all about creating a decent base. Lots of patterns were checkerboard (meaning full of holes), so what I did was try to create a 3-block base. Don't be afraid to use the Bring Down the House technique, but don't overdo it (especially once the path splits). Steps 40-80 and 110-150 are the tricky parts where creating a solid base is very important. Use the right stick to look up to see what's ahead. When the path splits, don't stay on one side. Otherwise the platforms on the other side will be impossible to reach (especially when dropping blocks). 

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely keep them in mind. My biggest weakness is techniques like "Bringing down the house." I just struggle realizing when I need to push blocks completely out and visualizing which blocks will fall and where. Think I'm going to take a break for today and try again tomorrow with fresh eyes and mind. I'm just getting worse so maybe a rest will help.

I must have gotten extremely extremely lucky on the Obelisk. I couldn't believe it, but I actually beat it on my 1st try. I was in shock when I saw the bell platform. I tried avoiding all of the mystery blocks that I could and only one of them turned into a bomb. So far my attempts have been:

Altar: 3

Menhir: 10-15 (I quit counting)

Obelisk: 1

I've read several people thought AM was easier than the Obelisk but it looks like it's going to take me 100+ attempts at this rate. So close to the plat, yet so far away.

Edited by MStalker58

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely keep them in mind. My biggest weakness is techniques like "Bringing down the house." I just struggle realizing when I need to push blocks completely out and visualizing which blocks will fall and where. Think I'm going to take a break for today and try again tomorrow with fresh eyes and mind. I'm just getting worse so maybe a rest will help.

I must have gotten extremely extremely lucky on the Obelisk. I couldn't believe it, but I actually beat it on my 1st try. I was in shock when I saw the bell platform. I tried avoiding all of the mystery blocks that I could and only one of them turned into a bomb. So far my attempts have been:

Altar: 3

Menhir: 10-15 (I quit counting)

Obelisk: 1

I've read several people thought AM was easier than the Obelisk but it looks like it's going to take me 100+ attempts at this rate. So close to the plat, yet so far away.

When a structure is supported by only 1 or 2 blocks, I'd use Bring Down the House. You can push 2 blocks simultaneously on both controllers yourself. 

Nice work on Obelisk. It took me around 30-40 attempts on Altar, 50-60 for Menhir, 13 on Obelisk and 6 for Axis Mundi. 

Still thinking whether i should join this or not. I have this game in my back log for so long though.

Take your time to decide, there's no hurry. *whispers*: join... join....join hypnosis-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862

Ok, after focusing on the techniques and tips that you all suggested, I've gotten a little better and at least have a general idea what I'm doing for most of Axis Mundi now. I can generally get to the first tricky area (steps 40-80 range) instead of dying in the first 10-20 steps so I guess that's an improvement. I almost always run out of room and die somewhere in the 60's though. I've managed to get through that area a total of 3 times only to die in the next tricky area (110-140). My longest run so far is 121 steps.

I think that I could beat the stage if I could only figure out how to get past steps 60-80 at least somewhat consistently. I try building platforms as much as I can, but I always end up in a situation where I can't even move a block without cutting myself off or with the 2 characters on separate sections and unable to get back together. Right now, I'm making it past that section about 1 in 100 attempts, so it's hard to practice that tower section.  :(

• Like 1