Let's Play Catherine

Ok, after focusing on the techniques and tips that you all suggested, I've gotten a little better and at least have a general idea what I'm doing for most of Axis Mundi now. I can generally get to the first tricky area (steps 40-80 range) instead of dying in the first 10-20 steps so I guess that's an improvement. I almost always run out of room and die somewhere in the 60's though. I've managed to get through that area a total of 3 times only to die in the next tricky area (110-140). My longest run so far is 121 steps.

I think that I could beat the stage if I could only figure out how to get past steps 60-80 at least somewhat consistently. I try building platforms as much as I can, but I always end up in a situation where I can't even move a block without cutting myself off or with the 2 characters on separate sections and unable to get back together. Right now, I'm making it past that section about 1 in 100 attempts, so it's hard to practice that tower section.  :(

Awesome, that's quite some progress :highfive:

Try hanging your first character from a block, that way they won't use any space. With the second character you can create a path and then hang this one from a block. Switch to the first character and create a path. 

40-platinum.png #100

1L9d5f74.png

Cheers to You!

WOOHOO!!!!! Miracles really do happen. B)

Oh man, steps 110-160 on Axis Mundi were some of the most nerve-racking and tension filled moments I've had with gaming in a while. Followed by the greatest joy when I saw those unmovable Babel blocks, heard that bell, and finally made it to the top. The journey is finally over! I'm so pumped right now. Definitely one of my proudest platinums, right up there with Max Payne 3. Completely different games, but I might rank this one a little more difficult. Thanks to everyone for all of the tips and support. This thread really helped and added some motivation to get the platinum. Good luck to everyone else trying for the plat and I'll offer any advice I can. If I can do it, then anyone can.

Also, I want to apologize in advance. I'm about to flood the forums, but between this thread, MRP, my trophy checklist, #100 Platinum Club, Challenge Accepted PP, etc. and just my overall excitement, I can't help it.  :dance:

Edited by MStalker58
  • Like 3

40-platinum.png #100

1L9d5f74.png

Cheers to You!

Oh man, steps 110-160 on Axis Mundi were some of the most nerve-racking and tension filled moments I've had with gaming in a while. Followed by the greatest joy when I saw those unmovable Babel blocks, heard that bell, and finally made it to the top. The journey is finally over! I'm so pumped right now. Definitely one of my proudest platinums, right up there with Max Payne 3. Completely different games, but I might rank this one a little more difficult. Thanks to everyone for all of the tips and support. This thread really helped and added some motivation to get the platinum. Good luck to everyone else trying for the plat and I'll offer any advice I can. If I can do it, then anyone can.

Also, I want to apologize in advance. I'm about to flood the forums, but between this thread, MRP, my trophy checklist, #100 Platinum Club, Challenge Accepted PP, etc. and just my overall excitement, I can't help it.  :dance:

We've all been there =D Congrats =D This is something to be hella proud of =D

• Like 1

40-platinum.png #100

1L9d5f74.png

Cheers to You!

Awesome, congrats :yay:. You've earned some serious bragging rights :D. Congrats on becoming the first person to complete this event.

Thanks for all of the comments above.  :)

No,no,no,no,no,no miracle.  It was all you.  Well done.  And your 100# plat as well.  Forever to live on your profile, so, so nice.

While we are talking about your profile, what does WGRP stand for ?

Oh, WGRP is a super secret club that I can't really talk about.  :ninja: Actually, it's absolutely nothing. I think it's the code I had to enter when I setup my PSNProfiles account. I was just too lazy to erase it at the time and completely forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me.  :D​ 

Awesome, congrats :yay:. You've earned some serious bragging rights :D. Congrats on becoming the first person to complete this event.

Thanks again. There were a couple of times that I thought I was stuck and was going to fail for the 500th time. Luckily, I was able to escape and find a route up right before the blocks on the bottom of the screen disappeared. Your all's tips helped a lot. Especially the double push move to bring down the house with both characters and always trying to have a 3 block base on those tricky parts. I totally spammed the trick of using the PS button to pause the game during steps 110-160. After every step, I would pause and analyze every single block and triple check a move before I did it. I get anxious doing these types of timed challenges so it was nice to be able to take a deep breath and relax while planning the next move. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone else in the event make progress in the game and good luck to everyone on their quest for the plat and on reaching the top of the climb.  :)

• Like 2

Thanks again. There were a couple of times that I thought I was stuck and was going to fail for the 500th time. Luckily, I was able to escape and find a route up right before the blocks on the bottom of the screen disappeared. Your all's tips helped a lot. Especially the double push move to bring down the house with both characters and always trying to have a 3 block base on those tricky parts. I totally spammed the trick of using the PS button to pause the game during steps 110-160. After every step, I would pause and analyze every single block and triple check a move before I did it. I get anxious doing these types of timed challenges so it was nice to be able to take a deep breath and relax while planning the next move. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone else in the event make progress in the game and good luck to everyone on their quest for the plat and on reaching the top of the climb.  :)

I'm glad to hear the tips were useful :D. In hindsight what is the order of the Babel stages from easiest to hardest?

Any plans for a next game?

I'm glad to hear the tips were useful :D. In hindsight what is the order of the Babel stages from easiest to hardest?

Any plans for a next game?

Hmmmm....for me personally I guess I would rate them in this order:

1. Altar

2. Obelisk

3. Menhir

4. Axis Mundi (by far)

I know that Obelisk is probably a lot more difficult than Menhir, but since I got really lucky and only played the Obelisk once, it's kind of hard to accurately rate the stage. I guess I had the most trouble with Menhir and Axis Mundi since they are ones that involve more destruction type techniques like "bringing down the house" which I sucked at until I practiced.

As for my next game, I have no idea. Been so wrapped up in Catherine that I haven't given it much thought yet. Nothing planned so I guess I'll just see what game in my backlog interests me. There are a few series that I'd like to start sometime like the Souls' franchise, Mass Effect, the rest of the MGS games, etc. I'm going to try getting the plat in Mirror's Edge and Shadow of the Colossus for the Challenge Accepted PP but I need a break after Catherine before starting on those. Actually, now might be a good time to work on some of my PS+ backlog like P4AU, Dragon Age: Origins, or SSX. Some of those have online trophies so I'll probably start one of those. Sorry for the rambling, obviously I haven't decided. :)

Hmmmm....for me personally I guess I would rate them in this order:

1. Altar

2. Obelisk

3. Menhir

4. Axis Mundi (by far)

I know that Obelisk is probably a lot more difficult than Menhir, but since I got really lucky and only played the Obelisk once, it's kind of hard to accurately rate the stage. I guess I had the most trouble with Menhir and Axis Mundi since they are ones that involve more destruction type techniques like "bringing down the house" which I sucked at until I practiced.

As for my next game, I have no idea. Been so wrapped up in Catherine that I haven't given it much thought yet. Nothing planned so I guess I'll just see what game in my backlog interests me. There are a few series that I'd like to start sometime like the Souls' franchise, Mass Effect, the rest of the MGS games, etc. I'm going to try getting the plat in Mirror's Edge and Shadow of the Colossus for the Challenge Accepted PP but I need a break after Catherine before starting on those. Actually, now might be a good time to work on some of my PS+ backlog like P4AU, Dragon Age: Origins, or SSX. Some of those have online trophies so I'll probably start one of those. Sorry for the rambling, obviously I haven't decided. :)

Interesting, for me it was Axis Mundi - Obelisk - Altar - Menhir.

Nice, Mass Effect, Demon's/Dark Souls, Mirror's Edge, and Dragon Age Origins are great choices. Haven't played Shadow of the Colossus, but P4AU and SSX are on my To Do List. Already downloaded P4AU.

For me easy to hard would be

Menhir,  altar,  axis,  obelisk. I know,  I can't do anything right. 

Grats stalker,  welcome to the club. We don't have anything fancy though,  just the same nightmares. 

• Like 1

Guys, I'm scared to start this game. I hate timed trials, they stress me out.  I normally do not play games that are over a 5/10 because they are too hard.  I get mad.  I'm also old, and slow.  

That said, tonight is the night I add this game to my games played list.  Wish me luck!

Guys, I'm scared to start this game. I hate timed trials, they stress me out.  I normally do not play games that are over a 5/10 because they are too hard.  I get mad.  I'm also old, and slow.  

That said, tonight is the night I add this game to my games played list.  Wish me luck!

Good luck. I'm like you, time trials or anything that makes me feel rushed usually make me freak out and mess up. For the most part though, you don't have to go insanely fast or anything in the game. Sure, if you stand around an area for too long, then the bottom of the tower will fall but you usually don't have to worry about that unless you are just completely lost and can't figure out how to get up to the next area or if you've made some wrong moves and are stuck trying to do some complex move.

The only real stressful "timed" situations are going for gold on the Hard stages and then Babel. Without a guide, getting gold on Hard can be pretty tough. If you don't mind using guides then it's really not too bad except for some of the boss levels. Babel is tough, but it's doable. Hopefully, by the time you try playing Babel you will have learned some tricks and patterns that make it less stressful. Good luck on the journey.  :)

• Like 1

Is it literally imossible to beat the babel stages solo (I have the NA version)?  I dont think i can get any of my friends to play it with me, and managing 2 characters alone sounds so difficult...

The only one that is actually impossible solo is Axis Mundi. The others can be done solo, but there are obviously more steps and harder patterns doing them solo.

Managing 2 characters isn't as difficult as it appears. Just work your way up with one character, hang them off a ledge, then move the secondary character up. Takes some getting used to, but you can pause the game while you switch controllers or even use the PS button trick to pause the game, collect your thoughts, and examine the area.

• Like 1

Hmm  thanks. I really like the trophy image so Ive been thnking of delaying the bloodborne plat and try to make this my 40th, but honestly even getting the gold prizes on normal was incredibly frustrating for me. Then again babel is the make or break point I guess  and it wont hurt to at least try.

You can do it, this game has a very reasonable learning curve if you start on normal.

Hmm  thanks. I really like the trophy image so Ive been thnking of delaying the bloodborne plat and try to make this my 40th, but honestly even getting the gold prizes on normal was incredibly frustrating for me. Then again babel is the make or break point I guess  and it wont hurt to at least try.

I recommend to play the game first without worrying about gold prizes. Try to complete them all without using a video to get used to the patterns and tricks. Once you've done that, go for the gold prizes and you'll see things are going so much smoother. Also don't be afraid to spam the Undo button, which can also be used to get the combo back. Afterwards go for the gold prizes on Hard difficulty. Once that's done, try Babel. This one comes down to practice to get familiar with the patterns. The game randomly selects a pre-set formation and drops it, so it takes trial and error to get used to them. I do recommend to use 2 controllers, because you'll have to do it for Axis Mundi anyway and it's best to get used to it as early as possible.

Also added you to the event.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 1

You can do it, this game has a very reasonable learning curve if you start on normal.

Heh, I'm following the guide on this site, it says to start on easy.  Already struggling a bit at day 3 but am enjoying the game so far so even if I don't get the plat I won't be upset. In fact I'm looking forward to trying again tonight. 

* I need to get used to using the D-pad.  I play so many shooter games where the D-pad is rarely used for movement.

• Like 1

Heh, I'm following the guide on this site, it says to start on easy.  Already struggling a bit at day 3 but am enjoying the game so far so even if I don't get the plat I won't be upset. In fact I'm looking forward to trying again tonight. 

* I need to get used to using the D-pad.  I play so many shooter games where the D-pad is rarely used for movement.

You can do that too, although normal puzzles aren't that different from easy.

Lol yeah, I needed to get used to the D-pad too.