Dark Souls 3 - starter class

chickenbaltipie

Dark Souls 3 starter class  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Which class are you going to start with?

• Knight
    • Mercenary
    • Warrior
    • Herald
    • Theif
    • Assassin
    • Sorcerer
    • Pyromancer
    • Cleric
    • Deprived

Itching to play this game, bought the deluxe edition on PSN

Been looking through the starter classes and think i will start with the Assassin.  Normally i would go Knight but thought i would mix it up.  Plus i like the idea of a mix of blade and magic

Who are you going with first and why?

Not exactly sure how magic will work in III, but I will likely go with a sorcerer, pyromancer, or cleric. If I do go melee, it will be sword and board.  As much as I love Bloodborne, I prefer a slower (and safer) pace when it comes to the Souls series.

• Like 2

i start out as the pyromancer. the reason for that is that he has a very low luck and vitality stat and i want low vitality, because i saw that the flynns ring is in the game and luck is probably like in demons souls and u dont want that.

his stats are.

8 level

11 vigor

12 attunement

10 endurance

8 vitality

12 strength

9 dexterity

14 intelligence

14 faith

7 luck

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Classes

I'll probably go with the class "In real life anime girl", I can use my sexually developed body and stuff to defeat the monsters unless it's a tentacles monster. 

DS3 will be my first DS, so I likely go with the class that is stealthy like Thief or Assassin. 

• Like 2

Starter class has always been rather unimportant in the Souls game, except for it determining certain stats you may not want in your build, or some starter class having something minor that gives it some sort of an advantage. Very hard to determine this before the game is actually out. Like in Demon's, you'd want Temple Knight or Royalty, because less invested in the luck stat. Royalty if mage build, and temple knight that had invested in the stats you wanted in a melee build. In Dark Souls, the pyromancy started out with an extra stat point for it's level, just this alone made it the superior choice for PvP, but pyromancy was also massively OP before patches. You could basically just level up the pyromancy without it affecting your overall soul level.

Starter class has always been rather unimportant in the Souls game, except for it determining certain stats you may not want in your build, or some starter class having something kind of advantage. Very hard to determine this before the game is actually out. Like in Demon's, you'd want Temple Knight or Royalty, because less invested in the luck stat. Royalty if mage build, and temple knight that had invested in the stats you wanted in a melee build. In Dark Souls, the pyromancy started out with an extra stat point for it's level, just this alone made it the superior choice for PvP, but pyromancy was also massively OP before patches. You could basically just level up the pyromancy without it affecting your overall soul level.

Seeing the starter stats for DS3, I'd say Knight or Pyromancy for lower luck, unless luck is actually useful this time around?

Pretty sure I'd go Knight this time.

Edited by MMDE

DS3 will be my first DS, so I likely go with the class that is stealthy like Thief or Assassin. 

Stealth hasn't really been a mechanic in the previous Souls games. These classes tend to have higher DEX skills though, and are built for speed. The aim is to get behind the enemy as quick as possible and backstab with a dagger for a huge damage bonus. 

If it's your first, I'd recommend going for someone that starts with a shield, like a Knight.

• Like 1

Stealth hasn't really been a mechanic in the previous Souls games. These classes tend to have higher DEX skills though, and are built for speed. The aim is to get behind the enemy as quick as possible and backstab with a dagger for a huge damage bonus. 

If it's your first, I'd recommend going for someone that starts with a shield, like a Knight.

Thanks for the heads up. A shame that stealth isn't a mechanic in DS, it would have been really awesome to see what FSoftware could have done with it. 

Edited by FlareXV
  • Like 1

I always go with Deprived. I prefer to create my character completely from scratch, including all their base stats.

I'd reconsider that if i were you. Due to how balanced out Deprived is, it's kinda like investing some skill points in all of your stats, which means that's some levels that are definetly going to waste in your final build. There's no reason to start out with 12 Intelligence if you're going to be using a physical build, that's actually counteractive to creating the character you want. The class is strictly meant to challenge yourself.

Following up on that argument, i'll most likely be playing as a knight. I used to start most of my DS1 characters as Bandits due to the great strength ivestment right off the bat, but it's pretty apparent that, unless they change starter stats before release, that the knight is going to be the best choice for optimizing non-magical builds due to almost no investments in Intelligence, Faith or Luck.

And yes, i do hate fun.

Thanks for the heads up. A shame that stealth isn't a mechanic in DS, it would have been really awesome to see what FSoftware could have done with it. 

It might be in DS3 for all I know. Just warning you not to expect a Skyrim style "crouch to go invisible" type of game. 

Personally, I've always found playing one of the archetypal "stealth" builds in Souls games to be really, really hard. I'm sure it's viable with a particular set-up and skill set. But for a new player, hiding behind a shield and learning with that safety net is definitely recommended. 

It might be in DS3 for all I know. Just warning you not to expect a Skyrim style "crouch to go invisible" type of game. 

Personally, I've always found playing one of the archetypal "stealth" builds in Souls games to be really, really hard. I'm sure it's viable with a particular set-up and skill set. But for a new player, hiding behind a shield and learning with that safety net is definitely recommended. 

I've played Demon Souls, will that help in anyway?

I'd reconsider that if i were you. Due to how balanced out Deprived is, it's kinda like investing some skill points in all of your stats, which means that's some levels that are definetly going to waste in your final build. There's no reason to start out with 12 Intelligence if you're going to be using a physical build, that's actually counteractive to creating the character you want. The class is strictly meant to challenge yourself.

I like to keep all my options open in Souls games until I get a feel for what build I want to go for, so having an all-rounder at the beginning is the way I like to go. Plus, he starts at the lowest level so your early levelling is slightly cheaper. 

And who's afraid of a challenge? :P

Dunno, never tried that one...  :dunno:

Ugh. This one might finally push me to get a ps4. If a new Bioshock game comes out, there will be no question. Too many good games now on the ps4.

Bandit or barbarian is what I've always chose in the past. Loved swinging that UGS in DS2. If those aren't a choice in DS3, I'll probably go with knight and strip his armor from the start. UGS + fast roll FTW.

• Like 1

Very likely, DS3 is mechanically closer to Demon's Souls than DS1 or 2. Core gameplay hasn't changed drastically and the mana bar makes its return.

• Like 2

Ugh. This one might finally push me to get a ps4. If a new Bioshock game comes out, there will be no question. Too many good games now on the ps4.

Bandit or barbarian is what I've always chose in the past. Loved swinging that UGS in DS2. If those aren't a choice in DS3, I'll probably go with knight and strip his armor from the start. UGS + fast roll FTW.

Here here. No armor + big ass sword = win. 

I reckon I'll go for pyromancer or cleric, those have traditionally been my preferred classes to begin with, and then I mix things up on subsequent playthroughs. I will have to read up a bit, though, looking at the different skills.

As someone else mentioned earlier, the point - at least for me - is not figuring out which class has the most point in the skills I care about, but rather figuring out which one has got the least points in the skills I do not care about. A few levels does not really matter in the long run, but a wasted point is a wasted point after all. ^_^

Ugh. This one might finally push me to get a ps4.

Be sure to pick up Bloodborne as well. God daym them FromSoft folks know how to make games!