Hitman Disc Version Release Date Announced and Frame-Rate Test

FlareXV

Hitman's first episode launches digitally tomorrow, March 11, but if you're looking for a disc version, you'll have to wait until 2017. Square Enix and IO Interactive announced today that the physical version of the stealth-action game will come out in January 2017, featuring all of the previously released story chapters.

Jan 2017, that will be 9 - 10 months for those who want the "full experience" on disc.

Here's the frame-rate test:

Quote from the DF article: 

Starting off with the PlayStation 4 version, we were immediately pleased to see a noticeable performance increase right out of the gate. Compared to the beta, we're looking at a boost of 10 to 15 frames per second, with performance that remains above 30fps the vast majority of the time. The second training area fares even better now, and manages to turn in something approaching a stable 60fps throughout: a taste of what could have been. So while performance remains rather variable, the more serious drops in frame-rate we encountered in the beta have been completely eliminated here.

This game..............

• Like 1

Am I the only remaining non frame-rate-whore left in gaming? 

I'm not overly fussed. I don't tend to notice variations in FR unless, like you say, it leads to crazy drops, but 60FPS does feel a hell of a lot smoother than 30FPS in certain games. Try the Uncharted or Last of Us remasters on PS4 and you'll just feel the difference. 

On Topic:

Having read the reviews, I'm more interested in this game - the first installment seems to be right up my alley. I wasn't overly impressed with the Beta but, then again, it was my first go at a proper Hitman game and I wasn't entirely sure what to expect or what I should be doing. 

I'm going to see how the whole thing reviews and wait until 2017 then I guess. 

Edit: Sorry, realized people will be offended by this. Meant to be funny. But seriously, I don't notice "frame rate drops" unless it's seriously down to like 5 or less.

Dude, I should be the one to apologize, I was rushing and skimming over your post lol. 

Edit: Sorry, realized people will be offended by this. Meant to be funny. But seriously, I don't notice "frame rate drops" unless it's seriously down to like 5 or less.

I can't say I've ever noticed it or cared to. When something is 60fps I'm like "Oh cool this looks kinda smooth" for a few seconds then I stop noticing it

Considering the last "episode" is supposed to come out in June, They sure as hell are taking their time to make a disc version, or they are already planning ahead for the upcoming delays of the remaining episodes xD . Here's to waiting and working on the backlog in the meantime. 

I honestly don't notice FPS. Can't tell the difference between 30 + 60. Only time I can tell is when it drops really low, like 10 or below.

Guess I'm waiting till 2017 for this game then, if at all...

Exactly, this move that  is happening is a lot like what happened years ago when a new media format is released. Often times the "newer" media version would be released a week or two above the older version in an attempt to get people to adopt it. The gaming industry has taken this practice a bit further (too far in my opinion) and extending it out weeks to months at a time.

No Dice.

Unfortunately for them i try to always get physical copies of games and I like to binge watch my media so i will patiently wait for the whole thing at a later date.

Edited by stitchesnscars

Exactly, this move that  is happening is a lot like what happened years ago when a new media format is released. Often times the "newer" media version would be released a week or two above the older version in an attempt to get people to adopt it. The gaming industry has taken this practice a bit further (too far in my opinion) and extending it out weeks to months at a time.

No Dice.

Unfortunately for them i try to always get physical copies of games and I like to binge watch my media so i will patiently wait for the whole thing at a later date.

To be honest the whole industry is getting worst, splitting off everything they can selling it separately for more money.

I appreciate the sentiment, and whilst I can see why in theory Hitman can be split into contract specific parts, in practice it doesn't work.

A game like Walking Dead or Life is Strange is perfect for episodic parts - it plays like a television show and the skill threshold is so low its close to non existent.

Hitman however is a skill intensive game, coming back to the game once a month (at best estimate) will mean the player is out of practice from the last contract.  This will mean either they can't increase the difficulty each mission to maintain the tutorial level difficulty, or they do and cause people to slam into a brick wall upon re-entry and then be put off buying anymore.

Games that require practice, finesse and skill really don't fit into the dip into every couple of months model.

I'm waiting for the disc version, as I do for everything I know will arrive on disc - and I hope their bottom line isn't hurt so much that the franchise is put on ice.  It seems to me they're running out of ideas of what to do with 47 and if this doesn't succeed he'll be done.

Edited by LastPisTolman
  • Like 1

I don't really care if it's 30 or 60, as long as it is stable - a solid 30 is preferable to a sporadic 60.

I guess what i mean is, i notice fluctuations, but not necessarily the baseline, as long as itremains stable.

I do think that people get waaaaaaaay too hung up on 60 frames and 1080 - but then most of the best games of all time, in my opinion, were on the SNES - no issues like this back then!

I appreciate the sentiment, and whilst I can see why in theory Hitman can be split into contract specific parts, in practice it doesn't work.

A game like Walking Dead or Life is Strange is perfect for episodic parts - it plays like a television show and the skill threshold is so low its close to non existent.

Hitman however is a skill intensive game, coming back to the game once a month (at best estimate) will mean the player is out of practice from the last contract.  This will mean either they can't increase the difficulty each mission to maintain the tutorial level difficulty, or they do and cause people to slam into a brick wall upon re-entry and then be put off buying anymore.

Games that require practice, finesse and skill really don't fit into the dip into every couple of months model.

I'm waiting for the disc version, as I do for everything I know will arrive on disc - and I hope their bottom line isn't hurt so much that the franchise is put on ice.  It seems to me they're running out of ideas of what to do with 47 and if this doesn't succeed he'll be done.

In fairness - Hitman games are only 'skill-intensive' if you are bad at them.

If you are good, then you are never firing a gun, never killing anyone diectly, and never running or doing anything that requires skill-based input.

The games are about thought and patience, not twitch controls. I doubt a person loses tier ability to think month-to-month.

In fairness - Hitman games are only 'skill-intensive' if you are bad at them.

If you are good, then you are never firing a gun, never killing anyone diectly, and never running or doing anything that requires skill-based input.

The games are about thought and patience, not twitch controls. I doubt a person loses tier ability to think month-to-month.

How do you get good at a game?

Practice.

How can you get good at a game if you're only given one level to practice at a time.  Believe it or not the common gamer does not infinitely replay the same thing.  They progress through a game, applying what they’ve learned so far.

Even looking at etymology, one of the synonyms of good is skilful.

It seems like you're arguing with me for the sake of it.

Just because something isn’t based upon reactionary movements doesn’t mean there isn’t a skill threshold. 

You’re basically claiming Hitman games require no skill?  No game specific mechanics?  No player learnt abilities? No world specific interactions?

Edited by LastPisTolman

How do you get good at a game?

Practice.

How can you get good at a game if you're only given one level to practice at a time. Believe it or not the common gamer does not infinitely replay the same thing. They progress through a game, applying what they’ve learned so far.[/size][/font]

Even looking at etymology, one of the synonyms of good is skilful.

It seems like you're arguing with me for the sake of it.

Just because something isn’t based upon reactionary movements doesn’t mean there isn’t a skill threshold.

You’re basically claiming Hitman games require no skill? No game specific mechanics? No player learnt abilities? No world specific interactions?

No no, what i meant was that Hitman is more about thinking and exploring and coming up with clever ways of doing things, which arn't skills that one would lose over a period of a month - they are skills that are learned over a lifetime - as opposed to, say, an FPS or a fighting game, where knowing the controls and having a mastery of specific, difficult inputs would take practice and could become rusty over a long period in between sessions.

My point was more that one could argue this type of game does lend itself better to being split up in this fashion than a lot of other big releases.

I love the Hitman games, and think they require tremendous amounts of 'skill' - just not the type of short-term skill that one could lose so quickly. In fact, given that the skills these games test are so much more cerebral than many other games, it can actually be more taxing to play a full game of 15 huge missions in a row - whereas coming back onfe a month for a night or two could actually be beneficial.

(Btw, I think replaying these missions over and over will be a thing - i watched the Giant Bomb Quicklook last night and these levels are HUGE, with a massife amount of little flavour content and different ways to approach the kill - way more than in any previous single mission in a Hitman game)

Edited by DrBloodmoney

No no, what i meant was that Hitman is more about thinking and exploring and coming up with clever ways of doing things, which arn't skills that one would lose over a period of a month - they are skills that are learned over a lifetime - as opposed to, say, an FPS or a fighting game, where knowing the controls and having a mastery of specific, difficult inputs would take practice and could become rusty over a long period in between sessions.

My point was more that one could argue this type of game does lend itself better to being split up in this fashion than a lot of other big releases.

I love the Hitman games, and think they require tremendous amounts of 'skill' - just not the type of short-term skill that one could lose so quickly. In fact, given that the skills these games test are so much more cerebral than many other games, it can actually be more taxing to play a full game of 15 huge missions in a row - whereas coming back onfe a month for a night or two could actually be beneficial.

(Btw, I think replaying these missions over and over will be a thing - i watched the Giant Bomb Quicklook last night and these levels are HUGE, with a massife amount of little flavour content and different ways to approach the kill - way more than in any previous single mission in a Hitman game)

Looking at this from the perspective of a new player, one level at a time isn’t comparable to a lifetime.

The abilities Hitman requests of a player aren’t requested in any other game.  The idea of social stealth to my knowledge is a unique thing to this game.

Playing one level and working out how to complete that level is learning to complete that level.  Being afforded the opportunity to then go forward and apply elsewhere is where the actual learning starts.

Some people learn at different paces.  The beauty of being given a full game is that if you want to play one mission at a time you can.  If you want to play five you can.

Railroading your audience into playing one at a time takes away that freedom of choice.  You alienate a portion of your audience right out of the gate unnecessarily.  If you annoy someone with a game, they don’t come back.

For example, I love the infamous series, played all the games (platinum in both, 100% in Festival) up to Second Son.  I played Second Son and the fact that I was shaking a spray can to graffiti a wall in a superhero game as the introduction annoyed me so much I haven’t played it since.  That’s an irrational reaction, but that’s my reaction and it was a stupid choice for the player’s first reaction.  It’s why in media res is a tried and true storytelling mechanic – offers the best of both worlds.

A tangent, but my point being is that you shouldn’t place unnecessary hurdles to someone enjoying your product.  The Telltale games et al work because gameplay is secondary.  They are primarily a television show and we’ve been conditioned to consume TV shows weekly.  Though Netflix is bucking that trend too by giving the freedom to choose.

Whether the target of replaying the levels offering enough dynamism to actually be fresh each time, and not following the same route with a slight deviation hits is yet to be seen.

From what I see of the common player, they like to achieve their goal and move on.  Different ways of achieving the same kill is still achieving the same kill.  You and I might enjoy exploring the concept, but will your common man thin they’re getting enough value for money dancing in Paris for 1-2 months?

Looking at this from the perspective of a new player, one level at a time isn’t comparable to a lifetime.

The abilities Hitman requests of a player aren’t requested in any other game.  The idea of social stealth to my knowledge is a unique thing to this game.

Playing one level and working out how to complete that level is learning to complete that level.  Being afforded the opportunity to then go forward and apply elsewhere is where the actual learning starts.

Some people learn at different paces.  The beauty of being given a full game is that if you want to play one mission at a time you can.  If you want to play five you can.

Railroading your audience into playing one at a time takes away that freedom of choice.  You alienate a portion of your audience right out of the gate unnecessarily.  If you annoy someone with a game, they don’t come back.

For example, I love the infamous series, played all the games (platinum in both, 100% in Festival) up to Second Son.  I played Second Son and the fact that I was shaking a spray can to graffiti a wall in a superhero game as the introduction annoyed me so much I haven’t played it since.  That’s an irrational reaction, but that’s my reaction and it was a stupid choice for the player’s first reaction.  It’s why in media res is a tried and true storytelling mechanic – offers the best of both worlds.

A tangent, but my point being is that you shouldn’t place unnecessary hurdles to someone enjoying your product.  The Telltale games et al work because gameplay is secondary.  They are primarily a television show and we’ve been conditioned to consume TV shows weekly.  Though Netflix is bucking that trend too by giving the freedom to choose.

Whether the target of replaying the levels offering enough dynamism to actually be fresh each time, and not following the same route with a slight deviation hits is yet to be seen.

From what I see of the common player, they like to achieve their goal and move on.  Different ways of achieving the same kill is still achieving the same kill.  You and I might enjoy exploring the concept, but will your common man thin they’re getting enough value for money dancing in Paris for 1-2 months?

Oh, I'm just talking for myself - I'm not speaking for some theoretical new player.

My opinion is just in relation to me.

Considering the last "episode" is supposed to come out in June, They sure as hell are taking their time to make a disc version, or they are already planning ahead for the upcoming delays of the remaining episodes xD . Here's to waiting and working on the backlog in the meantime. 

Hey, better than when Telltale put 5 of the 6 Game of Thrones episodes on a disc and then told people to download the last episode when it came out.