Is it worth getting now?

Kaurhz

Got a spare bit of cash and there's a few titles on the Ps3 I wanted to try, namely FF XIII/-2 and Lightning Returns (I'm well aware they're linear), and a few others possibly (Prince of Persia). I know that PS Now is a possibility, but my internet isn't fast enough for streaming.

So is it still worth getting overall (and for those games if possible)

Edited by Kaurhz

I'd say so. Especially since you can find one for a decent price now days. I enjoyed the 13 series a lot(haven't played LR yet though). But if jrpg's are your thing, the ps3 has a ton of other great ones.

But ultimately, whether its worth it to you or not isn't really something anyone else can answer for you.

Yes it is worth it. There are literally hundreds of thousands of hours of content just waiting for you to enjoy. Between places like gamestop and the psn store you can get a ton of good high quality games for less then $15 and you can get a new ps3 for around $150-$200.

As the others have said, the PS3 is an amazing console and now is a perfect time to purchase one and get into it's library. Games probably won't be getting much cheaper anytime soon and if you're not opposed to used games you can purchase quite a few for the price of a new game. 

Parker

• Like 1

Got a spare bit of cash and there's a few titles on the Ps3 I wanted to try, namely FF XIII/-2 and Lightning Returns (I'm well aware they're linear), and a few others possibly (Prince of Persia). I know that PS Now is a possibility, but my internet isn't fast enough for streaming.

The library won't disappear, the games will stay around and there's so many of them and they're all pretty cheap atm. I would however not buy one for the FF13 series, neither for Prince of Persia. If you're a fan of the old FF games, chances are, FF13 will feel like a slap in the face.

• Like 1

Don't get PS+.

lol... you really got something against PS+? =P I started paying for PS+ for the games we got, long before PS4, and I think it has paid off many times over for me personally. Sometimes it's much cheaper to subscribe, even just for a month, to take advantage of some of the discounts or a digital game you can't have a physical copy of anyway. There hasn't been any PS+ subscription sales for a long time, but I've taken advantage of that before to buy years of subscription for much less, at the price of less than 6 single months. In other words, such a subscription is beneficial from just 6 such cases as described earlier alone. That's not accounting for all the other smaller discounts you get and tons of other games.

The thing is, publishers/devs comes to Sony, not the other way around. Sony is not paying out their asses for these things, so they can offer quite a lot for a much lower price.

Edited by MMDE

I'm going to be the detractor here then.

Only buy it if you think there's a realistic prospect that you'll actually use it. I bought my PS3 after buying a PS4, mainly for the reasons given above - I wanted to try out all the great PS3 exclusive games that I'd missed last gen. Back in the early days, when PS4 "had no games", I used it a reasonable amount.

But now, since the PS4 is getting a steady and ever expanding stream of games, my PS3 hasn't been switched on in months and months. 

So, before you go out and drop a load of cash, make sure that you can answer "Will I actually use it?" in the affirmative. 

I think it's still absolutely worth it. The PS3 is cheap now and most of its games are too. There are lots of epic games to be found on the PS3 so I'd definitely recommend it!

lol... you really got something against PS+? =P I started paying for PS+ for the games we got, long before PS4, and I think it has paid off many times over for me personally. Sometimes it's much cheaper to subscribe, even just for a month, to take advantage of some of the discounts or a digital game you can't have a physical copy of anyway. There hasn't been any PS+ subscription sales for a long time, but I've taken advantage of that before to buy years of subscription for much less, at the price of less than 6 single months. In other words, such a subscription is beneficial from just 6 such cases as described earlier alone. That's not accounting for all the other smaller discounts you get and tons of other games.

The thing is, publishers/devs comes to Sony, not the other way around. Sony is not paying out their asses for these things, so they can offer quite a lot for a much lower price.

Well to be truthful, I'm going out of my way lately, just because of the certain someone who not only thought I was already going out of my way, but called attention to it. 

I've been with Plus since I got my PS3 in September 2011, I championed the service for years, recruiting many people ... it's shit now, and it has been for a long time.

The reason I'm telling the guy not to get Plus though, is because if they're getting it just for PS3, it would be a waste. Plus is only really good if you've got at least 2 of the 3 systems and even then the games are hit and miss, mostly miss. BUT, for PS3 only, the service is less than average at the moment, this month we got 2 games nearly 10 years old each that have been on sale countless times, are small digital only titles anyway, and on top of that, were given away for free by Sony back in the day when they got hacked 5 years ago...meaning that the PS3 offerings for this month, were deemed by Sony to be worthy of being thrown away for free 5 years ago.

• Like 2

It worths to get one, about the PS Plus, nowadays is very crappy, before the PS4 it had a better service, better offers, games and bonus, now it is needed to play in some PS4 games, the last december, was another good moment to get a membership, I got a month of PS Plus and I saved a lot in some of the games, I bought 2 games at the Price of one and the PS Plus and I saved the Price of the second, if we put it in analysis between the prices of them with  and without Plus in that time; if you want to try it, try to wait until a further good sale

Edited by Zeitgeist-9

The PS3 has a complete console generation's worth of quality games available, many of which have gotten a lot cheaper since their initial release. I'd say "get it only if you think there's games on it you really want", but to be honest, I'd say by this point the PS3 most likely DOES have something you want. I can't recommend the FFXIII games as I haven't played them, but there's plenty of great RPGs and other games on the console regardless.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say the PS3 is definitely still worth getting, especially considering how vast the game library is at this point, and PS3 consoles themselves can be brought fairly cheaply both used and brand new nowadays.

I've owned my PS3 since 2008, and I still play it very regularly (still got quite a large backlog for it to boot). My PS4 does get more attention at times, but it really just depends on what I'm playing at any given time. Regardless, I don't see myself selling off my PS3 for several years to come, if ever. I'm still buying games for it semi-regularly as well (brought Trails of Cold Steel for it just a month or two ago).

• 3 weeks later...

I understand that I'm a bit late to the forums, but I was thinking the same thing. Once I get some expenses handled, I was thinking of picking up a Playstation 3 console again, but this time for my current profile. My main question was if you guys think the abundance of single-player titles for the PS3 makes it worth the investment!

Thanks to all who take the time to read this!