Ratchet & Clank PS4 Gameplay

Parker

My kids like R&C as well. Definitely getting this - have it on pre-order actually, since it was on promo and was pretty cheap to start.

Just finished Deadlocked recently, R&C games are always fun.

I still have the first 2 games of the Trilogy to do...I keep hesitating on starting the first, I don't want to burn my Vita out with the bolt glitch, but it is otherwise a rather long plat :(

It certainly looks great, but Insomniac's complete and utter dismissal of the importance of frame rate has only made their games worse since A Crack in Time. I'm not a massive stickler for frame rate so long as it's stable, but it's extremely important for the type of game it is. The most recent Ratchet and Clank games were borderline unplayable. Did not feel smooth at all. 

Edited by LunchCannon54

It certainly looks great, but Insomniac's complete and utter dismissal of the importance of frame rate has only made their games worse since A Crack in Time. I'm not a massive stickler for frame rate so long as it's stable, but it's extremely important for the type of game it is. The most recent Ratchet and Clank games were borderline unplayable. Did not feel smooth at all. 

From what I've read this game will be 30fps and since the PS4 is much more powerful and easier to develop for than the PS3, I think it should have a steady frame rate. I didn;t notice any drops in the gameplay above but it can be hard to tell on a YouTube video. 

Parker

Parker

I don't think the recent R&C games you refer to didn't feel smooth because of frame rate etc. It's more about the animations.

Anyway, except for A4O, they were all more than playable enough. The problem with some of those titles were smaller budgets, tried to do a lot of different stuff.

It is indeed. Since this is a re-imagining of the first game, it's a perfect starting point.

I suspect they have used a lot of the same models, probably rounded edges of the models, but used new textures and filters etc.

But yeah, it's nice they release a new version of the game for the movie that is based on the first game. xD

It looks utterly gorgeous. 

So refreshing to see a full blown release that remembers there's colours other than brown and grey available. 

Definitely going to get this one. I'm still working through Ratchet 1 on the Vita, but it has so much character. Very confident that I'll enjoy the reboot. 

• Like 1

I've never played one of these games - i guess this is a good point for me to jump in???

It is indeed. Since this is a re-imagining of the first game, it's a perfect starting point.

This is exactly the question I was going to ask and the answer I wanted to hear! Haven't played an R&C game before, but always been meaning to get into it. Looking forward to trying this one out.

• 2 weeks later...

My kids like R&C as well. Definitely getting this - have it on pre-order actually, since it was on promo and was pretty cheap to start.

Just finished Deadlocked recently, R&C games are always fun.

I still have the first 2 games of the Trilogy to do...I keep hesitating on starting the first, I don't want to burn my Vita out with the bolt glitch, but it is otherwise a rather long plat :(

Holy crap, how do you manage to have kids and get up to 300 Platinums? Damn.

Huge fan of R&C! Wrapping up the Platinums on PS3 as we speak, been a fan since the beginning. Had mine pre-ordered since January 18th.

Frame rate scrub, why do you care so much? Just play the game, sheesh.

Holy crap, how do you manage to have kids and get up to 300 Platinums? Damn.

Huge fan of R&C! Wrapping up the Platinums on PS3 as we speak, been a fan since the beginning. Had mine pre-ordered since January 18th.

Frame rate scrub, why do you care so much? Just play the game, sheesh.

Like I said, it really depends on the type of game it is and whether or not its stable, and it is certainly important for the type of game that it is, especially considering the PS2 games managed to do it and still look good. The most recent games in the series were very noticeably inferior purely because they didn't bother with it and couldn't even keep it stable. If it manages to be a stable 30fps then I might pick it up but I'm still very on the fence about it and knowing that Insomniac doesn't seem to care about it anymore I'm a bit apprehensive as to its quality, so forgive me for being a little bit cautious about it considering how bad the more recent games were.