Dismantling an external HDD to use in a PS4?

Masamune

Presumably these are fairly standardised across devices, especially where they're designed to be "plug and play" with so many devices and computers?

Firmware? I don't think so.

Drivers? Sure.

Why does it matter? It matters for how the hdd behaves. Would take a lot of time to explain all of this, but let's just say it does matter, but that you usually can't do much about it. It's not common to flash HDD firmware etc.

• Like 1

Well I did the Nyko Data Bank option and have a WD 4TB Green Drive (3.5 inch), forget all the negative reviews online as it works out just fine. The only catch is you need to disable sleep mode which means nothing to me since I turn the PS4 off at the wall. 2TB just wasn't enough for me so I took the risk, the ps4 now runs cooler and quieter. I'm not sure whether to recommend this device to others since apparently allot of people have had problems, than again allot of people are morons so I'm not sure. It also makes your Ps4 look butt ugly but let's face it, you're probably never going to impress a potential partner through your gaming console.

Since PS3 I've performed the external HDD transformation, it's a cheaper solution and quite easy to do.

Well I did the Nyko Data Bank option and have a WD 4TB Green Drive (3.5 inch), forget all the negative reviews online as it works out just fine. The only catch is you need to disable sleep mode which means nothing to me since I turn the PS4 off at the wall. 2TB just wasn't enough for me so I took the risk, the ps4 now runs cooler and quieter. I'm not sure whether to recommend this device to others since apparently allot of people have had problems, than again allot of people are morons so I'm not sure. It also makes your Ps4 look butt ugly but let's face it, you're probably never going to impress a potential partner through your gaming console.

Since PS3 I've performed the external HDD transformation, it's a cheaper solution and quite easy to do.

I was thinking of doing this in the first place, but I figured after buying the data bank, I wouldn't be saving much money anyways. Although, I never use sleep mode, so using one wouldn't be a problem.

But how would running a 3.5 make the PS4 cooler? I am curious about that, I'm surprised my PS4 hasn't melted yet. xD

I was thinking of doing this in the first place, but I figured after buying the data bank, I wouldn't be saving much money anyways. Although, I never use sleep mode, so using one wouldn't be a problem.

But how would running a 3.5 make the PS4 cooler? I am curious about that, I'm surprised my PS4 hasn't melted yet. xD

The 3.5 HDD is on the outside of the case so the heat provided by the original internal 2.5 isn't there any more. It's one of those WD Green drives which is meant to be energy efficient, I live in a very hot part of Australia so there's always a risk. As far as cost is concerned, you could get a 2.5 inch 4tb and modify the ps4 hdd bay, if you go this route you still can't use sleep mode.