Problems with my PS4? It gets pretty loud when game disc is in..

rockstarjazz

i bought myself a ps4 and today was my first day on it. without inserting a disc, it was nice and quiet. dead silent.

but when i put my first game disc in - god of war 3 remastered (disc was spotless and clean before inserting, i always check my discs before inserting) - i noticed that at first i can hear the blu ray drive reading the disc, followed by a 'wooshing' sound, which i thought was normal as its just the drive trying to read the disc like a pc would. but the wooshing sound doesnt stop. i launch the game and can still hear the woosh. i close the application from the playstation button menu and i just left my ps4 alone for a good 5-10mins, hoping the blu ray drive would shut up because i am not using it, and the woosh carries on! it doesnt stop. why is this? i did some research and one possible reason is that its installing. gow3 is 40gb big, so how long do i have to put up with the wooshing before it goes quiet? is it going to be like this all the time when playing, because its so annoying, even my old slim ps3 is much silence than this! i also read that the feet of the ps4 isnt good and so i placed mine on some small rubber washers so it doesnt vibrate of the wooden surface.

when i opted to switch off my ps4 (15 mins after the wooshing started upon inseting the disc - hopefully i havent interrupted the caching or installing if it is that), only then would it turn dead silent again, and the sound when it stopped definitely sounded like an optical disc drive stopped spinning the disc, then the ps4 light flashed a few times then switched off. i switch it on again with the disc already inside, and the wooshing starts up again!

can anyone please advise if this is normal or, if its 'installing', how long do i have to put up with this deeply annoying noise? or if it seems to be a fault? its distracting and spoils the experience. i never had any noise problems with my slim ps3. call me fussy but its left me abit disheartened.

thanks

Edited by rockstarjazz

what game are you loading it with? some games I find work the system harder than some others.

edit: nvm GOW3, got my answer...

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

god of war 3. mind you when inserting the disc there doesnt seem to be any installation process like with gta5 that required time and shows you its progress; here you can jump straight to the game it seems?

Some games allow you to play ahead a little while its installing. Checking the download section usually shows it's installing to doing something but again not for all games. I guess you could check the system management and see if GOW3 is fully installed like is it at least 40GB. But I personally have no experience with GOW3, hopefully someone who had played GOW3RE can enlighten us on this topic. If not... could always purchase a new PS4 and test it out....

it shows all 40gb installed even while the wooshing noise is still going on! even when exiting the game and not doing anything with the ps4, just putting the controller down and leaving it alone, the wooshing is nonstop. it must be doing something?

That's normal. If it's too much, I'd highly advise returning it now if that's even possible. It's the price we pay to have a compact console. Your other option is buy everything digitally so that you never hear the blu-ray drive. However, there WILL be times when the PS4 needs to work harder and the adaptive speed of the fans will increase causing more noise, even if everything is running from the hard drive.

The PS3 was designed differently and the original version had it's loud moments. You bought a version where they reduced the power usage and improved the acoustics. Comparing your PS4 to your slim (or is it the super slim) PS3 really isn't a good comparison. 

• Like 1

its normal for the disc drive to continue spinning and wooshing even when you're not playing from it? that doesnt make sense. normally if an optical drive is no longer in use, computers would stop reading from it. what is it doing exactly thats considered 'normal'? i hope its merely installing and that this noise ceases when playing. on other forums people say their consoles are dead quiet

Some games do that. Seems to be the ones with a larger disc capacity for whatever reason. Grand Theft Auto 5 and Until Dawn makes my PS4 run pretty hard while during others it is silent. I just put a disc in my PS4 and it "wooshed" for probably 20 seconds and then stopped. I didn't boot the game at all and it is a smaller game that is only 9GB. If you have a way to backup your PS4 you can always do the system restore, without seeing a video it is hard to compare yours to mine.

My PS4 sounded like a jet engine (hyperbole) when i played GOW3 Remastered and the Uncharted 4 Betas, in every other game it's not very loud. Though every time i play a game and go to the XMB, it starts getting louder until i get back into the game.

Not sure about the noise when you're not playing the game though, that never happened to me. If i close the application (game) it stops right away, even if the disc is still inside.

Have you got another game you could try inserting? I haven't got GOW3 so I can't comment on that specifically but until dawn was deafeningly loud.

I find the opposite to what was said above standing mine on its side makes its quieter. I don't have a stand and I don't think it's all nessicery to have one.

Edited by Dan_WatsonAU

its normal for the disc drive to continue spinning and wooshing even when you're not playing from it? that doesnt make sense. normally if an optical drive is no longer in use, computers would stop reading from it. what is it doing exactly thats considered 'normal'? i hope its merely installing and that this noise ceases when playing. on other forums people say their consoles are dead quiet

Has the game finished installing for sure? Did you eject the disc the put it back in and see if it starts up again? My guess is it is doing some kind of reading for *something*, but I'm not sitting at your PS4 so I can't really say for sure. Have you exited the application completely? If it's running in the background the PS4 may still be reading the disc.

I already highly advised you to return the console now if sound is an issue. At least call Sony support and explain the issue to them. Before you do, make sure your software is all up to date and you've just restarted the console, as those are two things they're going to ask you when you call.

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably just installing, or it's just one of those games that puts more "pressure" on the system. My PS4 often makes a purring/humming kind of sound when running certain games off the disc. The sound only persists for however long the game is booted up for. When I close the application, the fan usually seems to "power down"/lower its speed again.

If the PS4 is showing no signs of malfunctioning, I wouldn't worry about it.

F.Y.I. The PS3 and PS4 have the Biggest and Loudest fans ever put in consumer electronics.

Yes it's loud, yes it's supposed to do that. This is like the eighth thread asking this...

Are you sure about that? The Xbone fan is huge.

I think I have a similar issue, but I don't think it has anything to do with the games.  I have my PS4 in a fairly poor area circulation wise, and mine makes a whooshing type of sound.  It is just my fans going full out trying to cool down the system because it is too hot (I think).

I think if you move your console somewhere with more circulation you will see a difference.  If I were smart I'd take my own advise, but I can't be bothered. :P

My PS4 is always quiet except when I play Bloodborne, when I play that game (even in menus and loading screens) my PS4 sounds like a jet engine.

Otherwise its queit so I don't know, can't really help you, my brothers PS4 started sounding like CRAZY after having it a while and decided to check if something was wrong and apperently there was something wrong with the fan so he got a new PS4.

Can't really help you more than that and well thats not much help at all Im afraid :(

• 5 weeks later...