PS4 may soon have cross-play with Xbox One!

FlareXV

This is HUGE.

-------------------
Cross-Network Play
First, in addition to natively supporting cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows 10 games that use Xbox Live, we’re enabling developers to support cross-network play as well. This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks.

Of course, it’s up to game developers to support this feature, and Xbox Live players will always have the option of choosing to play only with other Xbox Live players. We’re thrilled to confirm that Psyonix’s Rocket League will be one of the first games to take advantage of this new capability by enabling cross-network play between Xbox One and PC players, with an open invitation for other networks to participate as well.
-------------------

Edit: obviously for this to work with PSN, Sony needs to allow the same from PSN versus other networks. Not only PCs.

Edit 2: tweet from Ybarra: "On cross network play: gamers want more people to play with. We're enabling that and giving devs bigger MP pools."

Edit 3: Chris Charla states this is for any game, not just ID@Xbox.

Can't wait, this is true unity, not that BS the game industry gave us before.  Good things start out small and at the end, turn very big.

source:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1197036

Thank you, Neogaf!!! 

Edited by FlareXV
  • Like 1

-3759U.gif

"Smithers, pigs will fly before cross-network gaming becomes are reality"

Ok, so I just got over my disbelief. A few immediate thoughts:

• Remains to be seen if Sony are game for this. After all, XBox needs this more than Sony does at the moment. If Sony refuse, then people buying a new console who have friends who are already on PS4 will have to go with PS4 if they want to play together. If Sony open it up, they could lose customers like this, who would go for an Xbox One if their friends weren't already on PS4.
  • Not sure if PC v Console gaming is such a good idea. Good PC players with high spec rigs could dominate MP when pitted against console players, especially if they are running the game at a higher FPS (better ability to react and input commands that have to take place on certain frames, e.g. fighting games) or resolution (better ability to display and react to smaller changes in the screen), on a screen that is, usually, mere inches from their faces (so takes up much more of their view) as opposed to across the room.
  • Mouse aiming is also much more accurate in the hands of an accomplished player than controller aiming in FPS games, for instance. I am reminded of Shadowrun, which had 360 v PC cross platform MP, and was a disaster for 360 players.
Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 4

"Smithers, pigs will fly before cross-network gaming becomes are reality"

Rocket League says reality!

I wonder if this is locked behind UWP as a "feature". I guess we will have to wait to see how much of this is talk and how much of it actually becomes reality.

Dobut it, it's on the developers and other platforms if they want to connect with Xbox. 

Tekken 7

Need for Speed

Fifa

Project Cars and many more will benefit from this. 

There must be a catch. Will PsPlus and Gold go up later on because of this? Will it require a much broader internet connection for a lot of games? Who knows.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra

This isn't the "industry unifying".  It's strictly Xbox to PC because Microsoft has a walled off Xbox-like environment set up on PC already in the form of UWP.  This is Microsoft pushing their UWP platform, by leveraging their large Windows 10 install-base and increasingly irrelevant console... and disregarding/damaging the integrity of the otherwise open PC gaming environment in the process.

This has nothing to do with Playstation users playing with Xbox users, or Nintendo users playing with PC users.  Sony and Nintendo have nothing to do with it, nor should they.  All of these console manufacturers should leave PC gaming alone, instead of fragmenting and trying to control it further.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

The catch is that you'll be playing with many more screaming man-children and 12 year old boys who call you a "faggot" or a "pussy" whenever you kill them in the game. :P

Only those two words? You must have only played with the well-behaved kids so far :P

Only those two words? You must have only played with the well-behaved kids so far :P

Didn't want to get too NSFW...

But seriously, I had to submit many more grief reports on XBL back in my 360 days than I've had to since I switched to PS4. 

That, and I haven't been playing the kinds of games that attract these players recently but still.

• Like 1

This isn't the "industry unifying".  It's strictly Xbox to PC because Microsoft has a walled off Xbox-like environment set up on PC already in the form of UWP.  This is Microsoft pushing their UWP platform, by leveraging their large Windows 10 install-base and increasingly irrelevant console... and disregarding/damaging the integrity of the otherwise open PC gaming environment in the process.

This has nothing to do with Playstation users playing with Xbox users, or Nintendo users playing with PC users.  Sony and Nintendo have nothing to do with it, nor should they.  All of these console manufacturers should leave PC gaming alone, instead of fragmenting and trying to control it further.

Why do you seem so press over something that doesn't affect you?

Don't use it if you don't want it. If this means a chance of Fifa cross-play, then I'm all for it. 

• Like 1

This sounds good in theory but it'll be interesting to see how it's implemented, such as what games will actually allow it and across what networks (which is not known at this time).

Don't use it if you don't want it. If this means a chance of Fifa cross-play, then I'm all for it.

Not to mention his entire rant against it is based on him knowing something that he obviously wouldn't know since it was just announced.

Edited by BooneIronshield
  • Like 1

Every game exclusive to UWP, which is absolutely Microsoft's goal, is a game I can't play on my preferred service (Steam).

To you Playstation folk, it's the equivalent to every new game coming out, regardless of publisher or developer, regardless of whether it's a sequel or prequel, being a potential Xbox exclusive.  Why would I support that.  It was bad enough when EA started doing that with Origin.  UWP is bad for PC gaming for a lot of reasons, the further fragmentation of our fragmented platform is just one.

EDIT: So it irks me that anyone is rah-rah about it because that's support going where any reasonable PC gamer wouldn't want it.  Especially considering you're all getting WAY ahead of yourselves as far as "platform unity".  This is a Xbox and PC thing, because with Windows 10 Microsoft has $$ in their eyes.  Sony and Nintendo have no reason to jump on board.  Microsoft wouldn't want them interfering with Xbox Live or UWP anyways.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

Didn't want to get too NSFW...

But seriously, I had to submit many more grief reports on XBL back in my 360 days than I've had to since I switched to PS4. 

That, and I haven't been playing the kinds of games that attract these players recently but still.

I know. I was joking with my response :P

I don't think the console you play on matter as  much as the type of game you play. I received a lot of cursing in Ps3 more than 360.

However, that's just me. It's possible that it is way more common at Xbox community :hmm:

• Like 2

There must be a catch. Will PsPlus and Gold go up later on because of this? Will it require a much broader internet connection for a lot of games? Who knows.

I think it will require the higher speed broadband. Probably higher than Shareplay requires which lets out a lot of us. If the devs who choose to do this though, make it an optional search function then it shouldn't be TOO bad. But I can't shareplay or stream the hi def movies sony has in their sales, I had to get the SD version when I rented Ip Man on a 99 cent sale. I know I'm not the only one, internet companies are horrible here in the states with rates. But over there in Asia, especially South Korea and some parts of EU....they have much better service quality. 

I don't really play mp games but I hope sp doesn't suffer by trying shoehorn more mp for this though  :S

Am I only one who find this displeasing? xbox exclusives are being got released for PC and now multi platforming. What's to point of having that console? Those will eventually make Sony slappy about PlayStation.

Just no.

People weren't buying it so they had to do something. Can't blame MS this is a business not a charity if making money means no exclusives so be it better then going out of the market.

Works for games that require controllers to use. FPS, hahahah, no, you don't want cross-console play with PC players. Microsoft themselves did those tests way back when the Xbox360 was in development and saw the PC players just crush the Xbox360 ones into the ground, which is why the idea was scrapped in the first place.

• Like 1

Sigh... this thread is like the government announcing in a vague/ignorant manner that "racism is finally over" and everyone getting really excited.  Whatever you guys are thinking is going to happen, isn't going to happen, and I have to sit here looking like a racist for pointing it out. xD

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2