PS4 may soon have cross-play with Xbox One!

FlareXV

Am I only one who find this displeasing? xbox exclusives are being got released for PC and now multi platforming. What's to point of having that console? Those will eventually make Sony slappy about PlayStation.

Just no.

People have being lying to you, Milan. Xbox isn't multi-platforming, it's becoming a service but also remain its manufacturer status. The game MS are releasing will only be on Xbox console and Xbox PC, no other platforms or distributors will be getting GOW ,Forza, Halo and many others expect Xbox console and Xbox PC. 

You ask what is the point of having the Xbox One? The games for Xbox One will be optimized for you while you would have to optimize it yourself on Xbox PC. 

Every game exclusive to UWP, which is absolutely Microsoft's goal, is a game I can't play on my preferred service (Steam).

To you Playstation folk, it's the equivalent to every new game coming out, regardless of publisher or developer, regardless of whether it's a sequel or prequel, being a potential Xbox exclusive.  Why would I support that.  It was bad enough when EA started doing that with Origin.  UWP is bad for PC gaming for a lot of reasons, the further fragmentation of our fragmented platform is just one.

EDIT: So it irks me that anyone is rah-rah about it because that's support going where any reasonable PC gamer wouldn't want it.  Especially considering you're all getting WAY ahead of yourselves as far as "platform unity".  This is a Xbox and PC thing, because with Windows 10 Microsoft has $$ in their eyes.  Sony and Nintendo have no reason to jump on board.  Microsoft wouldn't want them interfering with Xbox Live or UWP anyways.

Lol, MS won't be able to make an game UWA expect their own ones and the games they have deals with and even then, those games will probably get a steam version. It's clear you listened to Tim Sweeney and feel that he is right.

His company Epic is making Paragon which is not coming to Xbox One, why not I ask? He talks about open choices but then goes and do the same thing we should fight against  that to the same company he's bashing. 

Lol, MS won't be able to make an game UWA expect their own ones and the games they have deals with and even then, those games will probably get a steam version. It's clear you listened to Tim Sweeney and feel that he is right.

His company Epic is making Paragon which is not coming to Xbox One, why not I ask? He talks about open choices but then goes and do the same thing we should fight against  that to the same company he's bashing. 

I agree with Tim Sweeney on principle, not on his companies actions.  Microsoft has the pull to make this happen and there are plenty of games on UWP that won't see a Steam release, granted all Xbox titles for now.  And little articles (vague and ignorant as they may be) like this getting everyone all hot and bothered is masking the problems they can cause in the PC gaming industry.

Edited by Dreakon13

Sigh... this thread is like the government announcing that "racism is finally over" and everyone getting really excited.  Whatever you guys are thinking is going to happen, isn't going to happen, and I have to sit here looking like a racist for pointing it out. xD

Exactly. Sony have yet to agree to anything. Quite frankly, the only reason I can see for Sony to agree to the "open invitation" is if they think saying "no" will earn them more bad press than its worth.

By keeping PSN closed to PS consoles they incentivise potential customers to join the PS club where, given that there are roughly twice the PS4s out there than XBOnes, is where the people they want to play with may already be. 

XBox looks like it's trying to up the number of other players XBox owners can play with. Now they'll be able to say something like "XXXX million other players to play with" in their marketing and not be wrong. Whereas if they'd tried that before, Sony would have just run an ad saying "Yeah, well we have twice that number". 

Sigh... this thread is like the government announcing in a vague/ignorant manner that "racism is finally over" and everyone getting really excited.  Whatever you guys are thinking is going to happen, isn't going to happen, and I have to sit here looking like a racist for pointing it out. xD

I agree with Tim Sweeney on principle, not on his companies actions.  Microsoft has the pull to make this happen and there are plenty of games on UWP that won't see a Steam release, granted all Xbox titles for now.  And little articles (vague and ignorant as they may be) like this getting everyone all hot and bothered is masking the problems they can cause in the PC gaming industry.

You have expose yourself, you didn't read the quotation clearly. It said that this is cross-platform for PC and other networks, why do you keep on denying something that they have announced? You don't use Windows, do you? 

Sigh... this thread is like the government announcing in a vague/ignorant manner that "racism is finally over" and everyone getting really excited.  Whatever you guys are thinking is going to happen, isn't going to happen, and I have to sit here looking like a racist for pointing it out. xD

I'm sorry to point a mirror at your comment, but UWP isn't going to be anywhere near as bad as you say. Developers aren't about to jump ship from Steam and any features MS "locks" into UMP, *someone* will create equivalents. People will figure out a way to "jailbreak" UWP games (if any are even popular enough).

• Like 1

You have expose yourself, you didn't read the quotation clearly. It said that this is cross-platform for PC and other networks, why do you keep on denying something that they have announced? You don't use Windows, do you? 

The Xbox news article says what other console manufacturers are going to do?  Hmm...

Of course I use Windows, I don't have a choice for gaming.

Exactly. Sony have yet to agree to anything. Quite frankly, the only reason I can see for Sony to agree to the "open invitation" is if they think saying "no" will earn them more bad press than its worth.

By keeping PSN closed to PS consoles they incentivise potential customers to join the PS club where, given that there are roughly twice the PS4s out there than XBOnes, is where the people they want to play with may already be. 

XBox looks like it's trying to up the number of other players XBox owners can play with. Now they'll be able to say something like "XXXX million other players to play with" in their marketing and not be wrong. Whereas if they'd tried that before, Sony would have just run an ad saying "Yeah, well we have twice that number". 

MS has always been the one to block true cross-platform play, why would Sony suddenly go back on their words about them being open to it? Defiance was suppose to have cross-platform play but MS blocked it. Sony wouldn't want bad press especially with PSVR upcoming. 

Edited by FlareXV

I'm sorry to point a mirror at your comment, but UWP isn't going to be anywhere near as bad as you say. Developers aren't about to jump ship from Steam and any features MS "locks" into UMP, *someone* will create equivalents. People will figure out a way to "jailbreak" UWP games (if any are even popular enough).

Anywhere near as bad?  We haven't seen it yet.  We don't know how bad it could get.  All I know is the glimpses I've seen, and have been reported, haven't been good.  At all.

I don't want to have to jailbreak my operating system, especially since I also work on my PC, pay bills, check my accounts, etc... to enjoy my games.  Why would that ever be a good option?

Edited by Dreakon13

Perhaps I am naive, but I think this would be absolutely horrible. Not only are there significant differences between console gaming and PC games (the FPS argument noted above), I was under the impression that PC gaming remained much more open to rampant piracy.

Perhaps I am biased, as I do not use my PC for gaming, but I don't really want to be playing against hacked/modded/pirated PC gamers. I would also think this would significantly increase the potential exposure of console gamers to being hacked, as there would be much less control over the third party servers and who is accessing them.

I would prefer the networks to remain under the control and regulation of the console developer.

Notwithstanding the above, Xbox One and PS4 crossplay could work if both sides agreed.

Just my two cents.

• Like 4

MS has always been the one to block true cross-platform play, why would Sony suddenly go back on their words about them being open to it? Defiance was suppose to have cross-platform play but MS blocked it. Sony wouldn't want bad press especially with PSVR upcoming. 

I gave the most obvious reason in my post that you quoted. Because being open to playing with XBox when they're the platform in the lead can only help the other platform. 

I didn't know they'd said they were open to it though. Source? 

I gave the most obvious reason in my post that you quoted. Because being open to playing with XBox when they're the platform in the lead can only help the other platform. 

I'm not gonna bother looking for the source as flare can do that but the story goes sony asked MS if they wanted to do cross-play and they said no this is back when the 360 was doing good.

Edited by ShadowStrike002

For what it's worth, I'd love to see console exclusivity go away and total unified cross-play.  It should've been that way from the beginning.

I just don't think it's going to happen, I don't think this article is proof of anything and I believe vehemently that Microsoft's the wrong company to lead the charge if it did.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

I'm not gonna bother looking for the source as flare can do that but the story goes sony asked MS if they wanted to do cross-play and they said no this is back when the 360 was doing good.

Suggesting that the cost/benefit analysis of such a move falls in favour of whichever console is behind in the numbers. 

I can't see Sony doing this TBH. Which is more likely to sell PlayStations:

"If you want to play with PS players, you can buy either console

or

"If you want to play with PS players, you need a PS system"?

IMO, the latter is clearly the line that Sony is going to want to take if it wants to keep selling PS4s at the current rate.

To me I think it should be optional. Like normally we all play with PSN players, but if you feel like changing it to let's say 'global' network, then you can change the settings and go for it. This could be very helpful when some games start to age. The online community would live up longer.

EDIT: I just noticed that it is optional.

Edited by Bunau
  • Like 1

To me I think it should be optional. Like normally we all play with PSN players, but if you feel like changeing it to let's say 'global' network, then you can change the settings and go for it. This could be very helpful when some games start to age. The online community would live up longer.

It is optional, states it in the quoted section.

• Like 1

The Xbox news article says what other console manufacturers are going to do?  Hmm...

Did you read this read this part?:

This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks.

That quote was from Chris, it's clear that this cross-platform is for others and not Xbox live only. 

Of course I use Windows, I don't have a choice for gaming.

You do have a choice, they are limited, but they do exist. It's you who is lying to yourself and blame MS for nothing. I have no beef that you prefer Steam over UWA, but it's clear that you haven't dipped your toes into UWA properly. 

Okay, Sony didn't exactly say that they are cool will it for every other game, but they were cool with Defiance being cross-platform , it was MS who stopped it from happen. Here's a quote from the article: 

As cool as this sneak peek was, Trion can't let the finished Xbox 360 game connect to the PS3. "Microsoft won't let Sony players play against them," Rodberg said, before suggesting we change the topic to something less sensitive.

You can read the full article here: http://kotaku.com/5813740/i-saw-the-playstation-3-wired-to-play-against-an-xbox-360-but-you-wont

You do have a choice, they are limited, but they do exist. It's you who is lying to yourself and blame MS for nothing. I have no beef that you prefer Steam over UWA, but it's clear that you haven't dipped your toes into UWA properly.

Linux isn't a feasible gaming option.  I've tried, including SteamOS.  Ubuntu wouldn't even stay connected to my Wi-Fi for more than a minute.  You need pretty specific hardware components since drivers vary drastically in terms of compatibility, and even if you figure that all out (or luck into it), the catalog available is unimpressive at best.

And what would I see if I dipped my toes into UWA "properly"?

Edited by Dreakon13

Linux isn't a feasible gaming option.  I've tried, including SteamOS.  Ubuntu wouldn't even stay connected to my Wi-Fi for more than a minute.  You need pretty specific hardware components since drivers vary drastically in terms of compatibility, and even if you figure that all out, the catalog available is unimpressive at best.

Yes, the selection those OS have are unimpressive but those are you choices, you are one limiting yourself here. Anyway, it's not like MS is blocking Steam, so you should be thankful for one thing. It seems like you want progress to halt instead of grow.

And what would I see if I dipped my toes into UWA "properly"?

I don't know what experience you will have, mine will obviously differ from yours. I've been lucky to have the WStore be very good to me and I'm not really bothered about the limitations in games. 

Yes, the selection those OS have are unimpressive but those are you choices, you are one limiting yourself here. Anyway, it's not like MS is blocking Steam, so you should be thankful for one thing. It seems like you want progress to halt instead of grow.

I don't know what experience you will have, mine will obviously differ from yours. I've been lucky to have the WStore be very good to me and I'm not really bothered about the limitations in games. 

I did make a choice, that's why I'm back to the Playstation.  PC gaming is in for years of hurt... I already dealt with it with GFWL, I don't want to do it again.  Linux isn't an option, my hardware isn't compatible and asking me to rebuild my PC for it is unreasonable.  If Microsoft running the show and/or fighting for control of an otherwise open platform is your idea of progress... *shrug*

I have used the Windows Store.  It's as bad as everyone says it is.  I'm glad poor performing games, lacking functionality, no mod support and no interoperability don't bother you, they bother me.  They are bad things for PC gaming in general, or at least where I'd like to see the PC going.  I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to say, and I think a lot of PC gaming enthusiasts would agree with me.  I'm not sure how to dip my toes in "properly" enough for you.

Edited by Dreakon13

Anywhere near as bad?  We haven't seen it yet.  We don't know how bad it could get.

Then what are you going on about if we haven't seen it yet and don't know how good it is.

All I know is the glimpses I've seen, and have been reported, haven't been good.  At all.

I don't want to have to jailbreak my operating system, especially since I also work on my PC, pay bills, check my accounts, etc... to enjoy my games.  Why would that ever be a good option?

So... we haven't seen it yet, but you've seen glimpses?

Reported? You mean you've read op eds about doom and gloom based on things we haven't seen. I never said to jailbreak your OS. I mentioned if someone releases something in UWP, and it's popular enough, someone will find a way to get it without UWP. I suppose cracking would be a more appropriate term.

Microsoft, the company that makes the OS you love to play your games on, decided it needs to change and offer features to millions of other people. Cross play between PC and Xbox, games that you buy once, but run on the PC, tablet, phones and consoles, this is part of their business plan. I welcome the change. Those are some lofty goals.

Microsoft is a lumbering beast, I don't see this being that successful at all. That's why I'm not worried. I don't really think this is going to change any of the PC gaming you likely do right now.

I have used the Windows Store.  It's as bad as everyone says it is.  I'm glad poor performing games, lacking functionality, no mod support and no interoperability don't bother you, they bother me.  They are bad things for PC gaming in general, or at least where I'd like to see the PC going.  I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to say, and I think a lot of PC gaming enthusiasts would agree with me.  I'm not sure how to dip my toes in "properly" enough for you.

The fact that you are trying to put other people experiences and then to link  it to mine is baffling.

You know, just stick to steam. 

Edited by FlareXV