Bloodborne Frustration

Dragn_Whytefyre

First off, let me start by saying I've played Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 and platinumed all three. So I pretty much knew what to expect with Bloodborne. However...

WTF?

Of all the games I've played, I've never run across a first boss as insidiously difficult as Father G. No matter what I do, I simply cannot beat him. As stupid as it sounds, it's totally stressing me out. I'm this close to giving up on this game, which, unless I just dislike the game, I've never before done.

He hits me, it staggers me or knocks me to the ground. I hit him (in lycan form), he keeps going and attacking. No stagger whatsoever. Ridiculous. I throw Molotovs at him. The last one I threw, after using the music box, went BETWEEN HIS LEGS. No damage at all and I was maybe ten feet from him! If I put distance between us, he dies his Incredible Hulk impersonation and super jumps. Ok. Fine. Unfortunately, no matter which direction I move AFTER his jump, he always seems to land on me. Huh? It's like he turns in midair.

Now maybe there's a trick to beating him to which I'm not privy. That's entirely possible. But I've just about had it with getting stomped every time I face him.

And he's an early boss? What do you need to defeat following bosses? Nuclear weapons?

• Like 1

i never played any of these games but people says that bloodborne is a little bit easier and for that reason better for them than the dark souls games (this are just some opinions i read on the internet), so is weird that you are having problems with it, maybe your character's level is low? but well my advice would be for you to watch gameplay videos about how to beat this boss and also use guides, there's one on this site i think too, and i think this game has online co-op so you can also ask someone to join your game and help you kill the boss.

i read that bloodborne is a really good game (well, it got an excellent 92 score on metacritic and it even received many nominations for game of the year last year, along with fallout 4 and the witcher 3) so i would also advice you to not give up on it and eventually with videos and guides i'm sure you are going to be able to beat it.

Edited by smellslikejavier

Well if you've platinum'd the rest of them I don't see what your problem is, maybe you're underleveled?

I remember it took me like 8 tries to beat him but I had never played a souls game before, so it's probably you doing something wrong, if you feel like you can't do it though you can always ask someone to help you (you shouldn't, it takes away the fun because every enemy starts to be a joke)

Edit: as for a trick I saw somewhere you can trap him on the stairs while you're on the ground so you can attack him but he can't attack you

Edited by HardXDXtraga

Maybe it would be good to run through the level a few more times, and kill the enemies you've been fighting before you reached the boss. Get a little bit more used to the controls.

Learn to parry as you do that - press L2 and shoot the enemy before he attacks. That'll stagger the enemy and let you preform a visceral attack with R1. It will do a lot of damage to the boss, and pretty much kill any normal enemies.

You can also get some blood vials and bullets too, so you won't have to grind for those later.

Edited by hpknight

I beat him in my first playthrough in one try. Beat him in NG+ yesterday in one try. He's not too hard if you parry, then be patient during his beast form.

During human form, back away from him. As soon as he rolls towards you, shoot him once, then visceral attack. Rinse and repeat until he transforms to beast form. If done correctly (practice if you need) you should have almost all your blood vials left.

Now in beast form, he does 3 to 4 hit combos. If you go too far away, he'll jump on you. You can avoid this by rolling in one direction as soon as you see him leap in the air. This form shouldn't have much health left, so be patient and get one hit in every once in a while. Focus on dodging away from his combos, and watch his patterns. Just don't get greedy and try to hit him multiple times. His beast form doesn't get staggered, meaning he'll ignore the damage and hit you.

If all else fails, go grind a bit and level up.

You might not be ready for him if he's your first boss. Did you kill the Cleric Beast? That should be your first target.

For Gascoigne it's good to level up a bit, maybe upgrade your weapon to +2 or +3. Did you find the Hunter Set?

You also need to learn how to parry consistently. If you can parry a couple of his attacks, especially while he's in his second form, the fight is over rather quickly.

Also don't be afraid to get help from other people if the game starts becoming a chore or you start taking your room apart. It's a valid game mechanic and while it takes away the thrill of soloing a hard battle, it'll give you the opportunity to move on.

Parrying. lol Do I know how? Yes. Am I successful when I do it? No. lol. My reflexes are, and I'm loathe to admit this, not quite what they used to be. I'm sure that's from age (46), but what the hell. The consensus is to parry, so I'll give it a shot (no pun intended).

Thanks, folks. I appreciate the support and replies.

For what it's worth, I found Father G (my 2nd boss) and my 4th boss (who I won't name for spoiler reasons) to be the hardest in the entire game. I found most of the late-game bosses to be very simple even on my first try, since they're mostly huge beasts you can just get behind and wail on.

I had a similar problem with the beginning of the game and I'm willing to bet that we share similar play styles.  I had also had experience with these games having solo'd Demons and Dark Souls (still need to get DS2).  In all the games, I prefer building into strength/endurance types, but as a consequence, I never really learned to parry in any of the games including Bloodborne.  As others have said, parrying can help a lot with this fight although it can definitely be done without it (I beat Bloodborne without learning how to parry).  Some general tips:

1. Keep grave stones between you and him and after he misses, you may be able to hit him with a jumping attack through the grave stone depending on your weapon.

2. Molotovs helped me with his second form, especially with the lack of stagger.

3. Keep your distance and don't dodge yourself into a corner.

4. Learn to parry I guess.

5. A someone else mentioned, you can try to down the Cleric Beast first, but I don't remember it helping me with Papa G too much.

6. If you still need an edge on this guy, you can look up the Music Box (although I had missed my opportunity to get it when I played).

So the bad news is Papa G is hard if you don't parry.  The good news is that once you get past him, the rest of the bosses are easier to beat with a no parry playstyle in my experience.

Edit - Looks like this posted really late for some reason and you already beat him. Grats!

Edited by Komrade_Konrad

One interesting thing with FROM SOFTWARE's games, at least the ones by Hidetaka Miyazaki, is that they push a lot of different and hard situations on you from the get-go. In Demon's Souls you couldn't even level up before you beat the first boss, which was at the end of one of the longer levels in the game (though shortcut to the boss if you make it to the end and die). This pushes you to learn how to deal with those situations. The enemies used and location etc, it's all intentional. Might sound like I give them too much credit, that it may not be intentional, but it very much is intentional. Once you learn how to play the game properly, it's so much easier, and this pushes you to do so. This is also the portion that drop lots of people off from playing the games, but just get through some few bosses and then make up your mind.

Edited by MMDE

i actually found him pretty easy without parrying or anything :\  just used the tombstones to keep distance and hit him with my extended sawcleaver "unupgraded and not leveled myself"  then when he went beast form i trew 2 molotovs and he was death.   

platinums do not show your skill in the games. it only shows you did certain challanges.  you can be very unskilled and stil get platinum after a very long time of playing or after you overlevel anough.   while very skilled players can do it without leveling for example.  i find bloodborn a very easy game. its alot easyer then darksouls or ds2 but thats probably because i played those alot and generally have a easy time in these type of games.

there are alot of ways to beat him so gl :) also yes you skipped the cleric beast boss just like i did on accident xD found him after darkbeast praal >.> i am oblivious to pathing xD

I feel your pain, I've played every Souls game and too many NG+'s to count and FG seemed harder than the O&S fight BUT, you just have to learn his moves. it seems many are talking about the parry strategy and if you are good at parrying it's awesome but if like me you are so-so, more often than not, you'll miss and get annihilated. I finally figured out a strat that worked for me that once I mastered, he is simply not difficult. What I do is take him up the stairs at the beginning and the whole fight takes place up there. He is a boss that uses the surroundings to his advantage and the graveyard is large with many objects in your way when you are trying to dodge his moves. He is also a boss that uses intimidating moves more than anything, they literally programmed this fight to mess with your psyche in my opinion. Take him up the stairs, and what you want to do is actually close the gap between you and him as much as possible but still allowing you room to react when he attacks. When he attacks, dodge/roll towards him and slightly to the side, you'll end up behind him every time and that's your window to attack. Make sure you are not locked on and as soon as you get behind him, you can stay unlocked or lock on-your choice but if you lock on, you should immediately unlock and roll immediately after you finish your attacks. Don't get greedy with attacks, learn the window, get your attacks in and get out. If it gets too punishing and you need to heal and you don't have enough distance between his next anticipated attack, run to where his wife is and drop down and run back up the stairs, he will follow you but at a slower pace and it will allow you to be back up by the gate and heal. Also... the music box is no joke... helps quite a bit towards the end if you need it.

Congrats on beating him, hopefully this can help anyone else who needs a suggestion. Not saying it's the best method, but it's one that works for me.

I played demon souls and til this day I haven't even been able to beat tower knight. For me bloodborne seemed so much easier than demon souls and was a fairly difficult and very fun platinum to get.

Best way to kill him I'd say is visceral attacks and molotovs in his second form in ur first playthrough. NG+ onwards molotovs seems quite useless.

• 1 month later...

Don't give up. You will regret it. Just keep playing and if you get frustrated walk away, play another game. Do anything, just don't give up entirely. I struggled with amygdala in the defiled chalice and walked away for a month, came back and beat her on the third try. It was my introduction to the souls/bloodbourne games. i am hooked now!!!!

Don't give up. You will regret it. Just keep playing and if you get frustrated walk away, play another game. Do anything, just don't give up entirely. I struggled with amygdala in the defiled chalice and walked away for a month, came back and beat her on the third try. It was my introduction to the souls/bloodbourne games. i am hooked now!!!!

Haha, yeah, that one boss gave me the most head ache too. I did it long before many of the story bosses though. Did all the chalice stuff as soon as it was available. xD Much the same goes for the DLC.

Anyway, here's a recording of me beating that boss... In the beginning there I'm just testing the strategy I wanted to do at the end of the boss fight. You should really fight the boss from a distance and then just run in for an attack early on. When the boss rips his limbs off, that's when you should do the cheap tail attack stuff, just avoid the feet. When it jumps, stands perfectly still and it won't jump on you! :)

• 1 year later...