Bloodborne Frustration

Dragn_Whytefyre

On 12/7/2017 at 0:53 PM, Fragtaster said:

The only campaign boss I forgot to record was ofcourse... Father G. :/ *sigh*

17 minutes ago, entonces55 said:

FG is an absolute beast and one of my favorite bosses all time. Level up a few times and go back. He's exactly like you in every way, except he's better. Very hard no doubt, as is the whole beginning in BB imo, but it's so worth it. 

Here's me doing Father Gascoigne. If you're struggling with him, a hot tip for him is leveling a little bit before him. Spend some 30 minutes grinding some few level ups, maybe even improve the weapon. The enemies right before the boss can drop weapon upgrade materials, and you can sneak up on most of them rather easily.

Walking up to the top of the stair case there seemed to make him easier, somehow. Left him with less space, which was good for some reason with this boss. :S

I'm not even playing particularly good in that fight. Pretty bad to be honest. You can do much better, but just goes to show how easy he really is.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2016 at 0:40 PM, Dragn_Dolphin said:

First off, let me start by saying I've played Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 and platinumed all three. So I pretty much knew what to expect with Bloodborne. However...

WTF?

Of all the games I've played, I've never run across a first boss as insidiously difficult as Father G. No matter what I do, I simply cannot beat him. As stupid as it sounds, it's totally stressing me out. I'm this close to giving up on this game, which, unless I just dislike the game, I've never before done.

He hits me, it staggers me or knocks me to the ground. I hit him (in lycan form), he keeps going and attacking. No stagger whatsoever. Ridiculous. I throw Molotovs at him. The last one I threw, after using the music box, went BETWEEN HIS LEGS. No damage at all and I was maybe ten feet from him! If I put distance between us, he dies his Incredible Hulk impersonation and super jumps. Ok. Fine. Unfortunately, no matter which direction I move AFTER his jump, he always seems to land on me. Huh? It's like he turns in midair.

Now maybe there's a trick to beating him to which I'm not privy. That's entirely possible. But I've just about had it with getting stomped every time I face him.

And he's an early boss? What do you need to defeat following bosses? Nuclear weapons?

I haven't read all the replies, so forgive me if I am repeating someone else. But Papa G is technically the secon boss. Up on the wall by the two werewolves, turn the other direction. You will fight the Cleric Beast I think. It's a much easier boss. Also, once you have insight you can start leveling up. You can lure those werewolves to a nearby doorway they can't fit through and then kill them with a weapon that has reach. I used the axe for most of the game myself. Once you have a few levels, Papa G will be easier. You can also use a strategy against him that takes advantage of a weapon with reach. Keep him on the far side of those clusters of tombstones and hit him over the top of them. 

18 hours ago, Toogie53 said:

I haven't read all the replies, so forgive me if I am repeating someone else. But Papa G is technically the secon boss. Up on the wall by the two werewolves, turn the other direction. You will fight the Cleric Beast I think. It's a much easier boss. Also, once you have insight you can start leveling up. You can lure those werewolves to a nearby doorway they can't fit through and then kill them with a weapon that has reach. I used the axe for most of the game myself. Once you have a few levels, Papa G will be easier. You can also use a strategy against him that takes advantage of a weapon with reach. Keep him on the far side of those clusters of tombstones and hit him over the top of them. 

Oooor alternatively you can try to, you know, actually play the game and just learn how to reposte. 'Cause that's a skill that will actually carry you through the game.

General option about bloodborne is that is easier than demon souls and dark souls.

for example when u die at demon souls u are at the beggining of the map, not a bonfire as checkpoint for example, and a lot of other reasons, you played so u know.

I think ur case is just a small thing: definitely you cant handle certain boss, but the rest of the game is easy in a way, right? So just relax, watch videos take a breath and kill the mot.. f... LOL

27 minutes ago, ivangutjahr said:

General option about bloodborne is that is easier than demon souls and dark souls.

for example when u die at demon souls u are at the beggining of the map, not a bonfire as checkpoint for example, and a lot of other reasons, you played so u know.

I think ur case is just a small thing: definitely you cant handle certain boss, but the rest of the game is easy in a way, right? So just relax, watch videos take a breath and kill the mot.. f... LOL

This is slightly misleading, though, as there are so many shortcuts that you can unlock in that game.

I personally found the bosses in Bloodborne to be the hardest of any Souls game bosses I fought, but that was because I just did not get the parry mechanic (honestly - did they even call it parry? That should tell you how attuned I am to Souls games).

12 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

This is slightly misleading, though, as there are so many shortcuts that you can unlock in that game.

I personally found the bosses in Bloodborne to be the hardest of any Souls game bosses I fought, but that was because I just did not get the parry mechanic (honestly - did they even call it parry? That should tell you how attuned I am to Souls games).

I prefer the fast and precise style of Bloodborne to the Dark Souls series and Demon Souls.

Also a good reason why a lot of people have the platinum in Bloodborne is you don't have to prepare quite as much, and there isn't as much of a grind.

53 minutes ago, ivangutjahr said:

You'll probably disagree with me, but getting the platinum for me:

Demon's Souls: 2-3/10

Dark Souls: 3-4/10

Dark Souls 2: 4-5/10

Bloodborne: 5/10

And I played them in that order! :P 

17 hours ago, Joker said:

Oooor alternatively you can try to, you know, actually play the game and just learn how to reposte. 'Cause that's a skill that will actually carry you through the game.

I actually barely ever used this, in any of the games. ;D Maybe why I rate the later games higher, but it's not needed at all. And most of the bosses people seem to have huge issues with, no issue at all for me. All comes down to play style, which is one thing I like with these games, that you're not just locked down to one path being the best, or like one best weapon etc.

• 2 months later...

So a lot of posts here but can someone provide some guidance on the timing of the parry move?

I've never played a Souls game so I'm new to the franchise. I like to think I'm a slightly above average gamer so this shouldn't be too hard to get the hang of but I've not really found anything helpful that explains the timing in terms of enemy animation and player positioning. I'm sure this varies for each npc but some general advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm about 30 minutes in and I managed to clear almost the entire starting area (minus the sewer part), including all those folk around the fire without dying or using any vials. And then the big axe dude happened and I keep dying there because I read that you need to be close to pull off a parry, but when I try that he just grabs me. Am I missing the animation for the grab? It seems to happen seamlessly. Or am I just too close? The times I do manage to stagger him (which I assume is part 1 of the parry) he always hits me simultaneously causing me to either stagger alongside him or die, resulting in me not being able to hit R1 for the riposte or whatever it's called.

Now I know that there are cheap ways to easily beat him but honestly I want to learn the parry mechanic properly so I don't get into bad habits and end up handicapping myself in the long-run.

Edited by Zolkovo

1 hour ago, Zolkovo said:

So a lot of posts here but can someone provide some guidance on the timing of the parry move?

I've never played a Souls game so I'm new to the franchise. I like to think I'm a slightly above average gamer so this shouldn't be too hard to get the hang of but I've not really found anything helpful that explains the timing in terms of enemy animation and player positioning. I'm sure this varies for each npc but some general advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm about 30 minutes in and I managed to clear almost the entire starting area (minus the sewer part), including all those folk around the fire without dying or using any vials. And then the big axe dude happened and I keep dying there because I read that you need to be close to pull off a parry, but when I try that he just grabs me. Am I missing the animation for the grab? It seems to happen seamlessly. Or am I just too close? The times I do manage to stagger him (which I assume is part 1 of the parry) he always hits me simultaneously causing me to either stagger alongside him or die, resulting in me not being able to hit R1 for the riposte or whatever it's called.

Now I know that there are cheap ways to easily beat him but honestly I want to learn the parry mechanic properly so I don't get into bad habits and end up handicapping myself in the long-run.

Timing is just when they are about to hit you, the exact timing depends of each enemy animation as you said.

Some enemy animations are harder to read or you have less of time window to react. (some enemies will have multiple attacks which will each have different parry time windows)

Also note that different guns have different parry windows since the shooting animations don't have same delay on all guns, so better get used to one gun.

Mastering parry is vital to progress in this game, since you can also parry many of the bosses.

In short, just play the game and try to make use of parry as much as you can, you'll get it eventually.

Edited by SnizelPS
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Zolkovo said:

"Parrying" isn't parrying. It's firing your gun right as they're about to attack. When you do it correctly, they go into a dazed animation and you get a free powerful hit on them. The 2 obese guys near the start are good to practice on since you'll be farming them a lot of Blood Vials.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SnizelPS said:

Also note that different guns have different parry windows since the shooting animations don't have same delay on all guns, so better get used to one gun.

Thanks, this was the missing piece of info I was looking for. I picked the blunderbuss as that's what everyone recommended for newcomers to the game but I personally prefer a tighter response. And it's also why I couldn't replicate the timing of the shot like I saw in all the videos since they were all using the pistol. I'll just re-start the game since I've barely invested any time into my current save and I think I'll have a much more enjoyable experience with the pistol.

4 minutes ago, Caesar Clown said:

The 2 obese guys near the start are good to practice on since you'll be farming them a lot of Blood Vials.

Thanks, I'll practice on these guys then.

1 minute ago, Zolkovo said:

Thanks, this was the missing piece of info I was looking for. I picked the blunderbuss as that's what everyone recommended for newcomers to the game but I personally prefer a tighter response. And it's also why I couldn't replicate the timing of the shot like I saw in all the videos since they were all using the pistol. I'll just re-start the game since I've barely invested any time into my current save and I think I'll have a much more enjoyable experience with the pistol.

Thanks, I'll practice on these guys then.

Yea, i just used that gun for the entire game+DLC never failed me.

Used gun for parry only, didn't care for the dmg.

I also like the tighter response :D

• 2 months later...

This is probably the most frustrating game I've ever played, but for some reason every time I rage quit I want to play the game again 10 minutes later. Maybe I'm just so stubborn ?. Finally managed to beat Cleric Beast yesterday after finding out the best strategy is just to stand at its feet and hack away at it, then finish it with a few Molotovs. I also realized that you can just run past all the enemies without having to fight them, made getting to the boss much faster and easier.

Edited by Janire1911

13 minutes ago, Janire1911 said:

This is probably the most frustrating game I've ever played, but for some reason every time I rage quit I want to play the game again 10 minutes later. Maybe I'm just so stubborn 1f600.png

Or maybe it's because it's the single best videogame in existence.

16 minutes ago, Janire1911 said:

This is probably the most frustrating game I've ever played, but for some reason every time I rage quit I want to play the game again 10 minutes later. Maybe I'm just so stubborn 1f600.png. Finally managed to beat Cleric Beast yesterday after finding out the best strategy is just to stand at its feet and hack away at it, then finish it with a few Molotovs. I also realized that you can just run past all the enemies without having to fight them, made getting to the boss much faster and easier.

Once you get the hang of the game, the frustration will be gone, completely. At least that's my experience. I remember I picked up Demon's Souls, just heard it was a good game, even the guy at the store said it when I bought it. I had no idea people considered it difficult. Once I got through that first level, just enjoyed my time with the game so much. Always put me on my toes, never knowing what new challenge would be around the next corner, and the game didn't disappoint. At least for me, the games have never been about difficulty, just good gameplay. I assume this is why you keep returning to it, even if you struggle a bit in the beginning and find it frustrating. Great and deep gameplay, good level and world design, interesting world to explore, what feels like challenges to overcome around every corner, game keeps you at your toes, gets it's hooks into you etc. The game also doesn't feel cheap, it feels fair and enemies are both varied and feels like they are on the same level as you, unless when you face off against some boss where you feel like the underdog, but you still make it. If you fail, which you will do far less of as you get the hang of it, you can try again, and it won't be totally random, you can actually practice and master sections. Yes, you can run through places too, learning what to run past and what to fight is useful, but fighting off enemies allow you to fully explore each area.

Only things I found difficult in this game was the forest and like 2 chalice dungeon bosses.

Enjoy it! :)

Also, try to do some online invasions or co-op etc. I think you will find it more fun than you think. If you get invaded, don't exit the game or something to avoid the invader. Give it your best shot, and savor the moments. I get that you may not want to restart a level, but more than likely, you can more easily than you realize get back to the same point.

Having never played any of the souls games I had no idea what I was getting in to with this.

After some experimenting and an absolute shit tonne of deaths in the first area of central Yarnham I really started to get better.

Every boss you kill gives you a boost lols.  I had a whole lot of fun getting the plat and 100% for this stunning beast of a game! 

Good luck to all those still going for it, you'll soon be mowing them down ;)