Should I get this?

loljens

Im weird with RPGs.. Some of them I like, and some I don't.

Now I would like to know what makes this game stand out out off all the other Final Fantasies? 

I want to get the remake when it comes out, but I kinda want to play the first one first.

Every review I look up it says it's an amazing game. But I hear that everywhere.

Now I would like to know from people who have actually played the game, is it worth getting? :)

Yes, just get it. But do follow the story and try not to use cheat codes as much as you can, because you'll have a much better time then.

Not all games are investing the time into the story, but the story of FF4-10 is totally worth it!!

Also, don't turn off the sound while playing. Just have a good time and explore as much as you can! :)

Edited by MMDE

Hard to tell without knowing you, can you name RPGs you liked and disliked? I think it'll be easier to give you a good opinion by comparing to what you've played.

The game is pretty old, and that may be a turn-off factor to people playing it for the first time after so many years. (it's 19 years old already)

• Like 1

It was amazing when i played it in 1997.Great story,amazing OST,badass antagonist.It's never too late but you may misjudge it after 2 decades.I really wish they could release it again with audio,even with those graphics,i'd bought it for the 4rth time after ps1,ps3 (psn) and ps4 (trophies)

Edited by sephiroth4424

Hard to tell without knowing you, can you name RPGs you liked and disliked? I think it'll be easier to give you a good opinion by comparing to what you've played.

The game is pretty old, and that may be a turn-off factor to people playing it for the first time after so many years. (it's 19 years old already)

I like good story line and Pokemon style battles :P (Pokemon as like you take a move, then I do)

Edited by BestGregger

See, the important thing to know is that somewhere down the line, Squaresoft became Square-Enix. This, for some reason, created a turning point in the quality of their RPG games.

When it was still just Squaresoft, the company made games geared towards intelligent individuals all across the globe. The stories were believable (relatively), interesting, well-written and sincere. There was this genuine feeling of quality and connection with the players. Final Fantasy 6 is a great example, but they even came out with fantastic side-series like Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, and the amazing Vagrant Story.

Then Enix was blended in, and Square turned every JRPG into Dragonball Fantasy Ninjago Backflip-Acrobat Kingdom 3/3782/code:re:b:i:r.t.Hearts. The games became completely aimed towards the anime fans, with weird Japanese-style dialog/behavior, stupid random noises and grunts/sighs/moans, overdramatic/melodrama acting, cliche stereotypical characters (a funny/clumsy one, a "cool"/strong one, a smart one preferably with glasses he or she pushed up onto their nose at least once per scene, and a brooding/troubled/introverted one). They gave it a last go with FF12 by getting the team behind Tactics and Vagrant Story to make an absolutely brilliantly written game with amazing voice acting/script writing, but that apparently fell flat for them. Not enough backflips, snappy one-liners, or 'Cie words I guess.

Now that my rant is over; Final Fantasy 7 is part of the OLD Squaresoft, which is the seal of quality.

• It's in the top 3 of best Final Fantasy games if you follow the majority of opinions. (mine included)
  • It has a good script, well translated. No cringe-worthy dialog like in FF13/FF15. No anime-ish behavior. It feels very western, to be honest. (like all FF games did prior to 13)
  • No voice acting. This is a blessing and a curse. Voice acting in FF games has always been hit or miss, so this game avoids potential failure. FFX had ......decent voice acting, FF12 had brilliant voice acting/dialog, then FF13 was a bunch of nonsensical gibberish with people trying to one up each other during every scene with "cool" one-liners.
  • Tifa is actually a strong woman. Not some shoe-horned anime character with a squeeky voice that sounds like she has 4 orgasms every time she ties her shoes.
  • Best skill/magic system in the entire series. 
  • Turn-based battles. This is more strategic. No flashy camera movement or "deep" (lol) close-ups. Just a good gameplay-driven mechanic that promotes customization and experimentation. (more like Pokemon than Kingdom Hearts)
  • Linear like all JRPGs, but gives you the feeling of a larger world with a lot of things to do in it. Lots of people to talk to, lots of towns/cities, lots of shops, lots of fictional culture and backstory. The world feels alive and lived in.
  • Great music.
  • Not difficult/won't be frustrating. Game tells you clearly what your next objective is.
  • Great background graphics. Shitty character models (though I think it adds to that FFVII charm, but yeah, they're bad).
  • Cloud is not an emo bitch like people always say. Advent Children turned him into a whiny child with a cellphone and an arsenal of swiss army knives, which is what people reference, I think. That was post DragonFantasyNinjago though, so it only makes sense that Square destroyed it.
  • Long game, but doesn't overstay its welcome. I'd say a good 35-40 hours if you enjoy yourself. Low 30s if you rush.

Yeah. Get it.

Edited by Paige-ID
  • Like 1

See, the important thing to know is that somewhere down the line, Squaresoft became Square-Enix. This, for some reason, created a turning point in the quality of their RPG games.

When it was still just Squaresoft, the company made games geared towards intelligent individuals all across the globe. The stories were believable (relatively), interesting, well-written and sincere. There was this genuine feeling of quality and connection with the players. Final Fantasy 6 is a great example, but they even came out with fantastic side-series like Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, and the amazing Vagrant Story.

Then Enix was blended in, and Square turned every JRPG into Dragonball Fantasy Ninjago Backflip-Acrobat Kingdom 3/3782/code:re:b:i:r.t.Hearts. The games became completely aimed towards the anime fans, with weird Japanese-style dialog/behavior, stupid random noises and grunts/sighs/moans, overdramatic/melodrama acting, cliche stereotypical characters (a funny/clumsy one, a "cool"/strong one, a smart one preferably with glasses he or she pushed up onto their nose at least once per scene, and a brooding/troubled/introverted one). They gave it a last go with FF12 by getting the team behind Tactics and Vagrant Story to make an absolutely brilliantly written game with amazing voice acting/script writing, but that apparently fell flat for them. Not enough backflips, snappy one-liners, or 'Cie words I guess.

Now that my rant is over; Final Fantasy 7 is part of the OLD Squaresoft, which is the seal of quality.

• It's in the top 3 of best Final Fantasy games if you follow the majority of opinions. (mine included)
  • It has a good script, well translated. No cringe-worthy dialog like in FF13/FF15. No anime-ish behavior. It feels very western, to be honest. (like all FF games did prior to 13)
  • No voice acting. This is a blessing and a curse. Voice acting in FF games has always been hit or miss, so this game avoids potential failure. FFX had ......decent voice acting, FF12 had brilliant voice acting/dialog, then FF13 was a bunch of nonsensical gibberish with people trying to one up each other during every scene with "cool" one-liners.
  • Tifa is actually a strong woman. Not some shoe-horned anime character with a squeeky voice that sounds like she has 4 orgasms every time she ties her shoes.
  • Turn-based battles. This is more strategic. No flashy camera movement or "deep" (lol) close-ups. Just a good gameplay-driven mechanic that promotes customization and experimentation. (more like Pokemon than Kingdom Hearts)
  • Linear like all JRPGs, but gives you the feeling of a larger world with a lot of things to do in it. Lots of people to talk to, lots of towns/cities, lots of shops, lots of fictional culture and backstory. The world feels alive and lived in.
  • Great music.
  • Not difficult/won't be frustrating. Game tells you clearly what your next objective is.
  • Great background graphics. Shitty character models (though I think it adds to that FFVII charm, but yeah, they're bad).
  • Cloud is not an emo bitch like people always say. Advent Children turned him into a whiny child with a cellphone and an arsenal of swiss army knives, which is what people reference, I think. That was post DragonFantasyNinjago though, so it only makes sense that Square destroyed it.
  • Long game, but doesn't overstay its welcome. I'd say a good 35-40 hours if you enjoy yourself. Low 30s if you rush.

Yeah. Get it.

Alright, After reading this I think it's clear I need to get it :) 

I like good story line and Pokemon style battles :P (Pokemon as like you take a move, then I do)

Okay good, the story is excellent and the battle system aswell. I think you should just check a couple minutes of gameplay on youtube and see if the graphics turns you off. If it doesn't, then YES get it! I know my young cousins finds the graphics too old to immerse into the game and that may be the only thing holding the game back from today's standard.

Edited by minh2t

Okay good, the story is excellent and the battle system aswell. I think you should just check a couple minutes of gameplay on youtube and see if the graphics turns you off. If it doesn't, then YES get it! I know my young cousins finds the graphics too old to immerse into the game and that may be the only thing holding the game back from today's standard.

I dont mind the graphics, as long as the gameplay & story is right :) (Which by all the comments alot of people do say so)

Edited by BestGregger

It's a solid game. If you want to try a Final Fantasy game, this is as good as any. A lot of people consider it the best Final Fantasy, I'd put in the top 5. The remake will have a different gameplay style, closer to Kingdom Hearts or FF15. Where as this one is turned based, like Pokemon.

Now they got a new dev team called RPG Factory, and I think that might be what I want to see more of from Square, but I don't think they're very confident about it! :)

It's kinda silly of them, abandoning what made them survive, built them up and made them great, but they're embarrassed about it these days. While many a fan is depressed about their current state, they just continue down that road.

Seriously, I don't need a RPG from them with like a hundred million dollars spent on graphics... In that respect they're throwing away money.

Back on SNES and PS1, seeing the SquareSoft logo on the cover meant that it was a pretty safe purchase, with some very few exceptions. See if you can without looking at any list remember a single bad SquareSoft game for PS1... Then check with a list...

Edited by MMDE

Now they got a new dev team called RPG Factory, and I think that might be what I want to see more of from Square, but I don't think they're very confident about it! :)

It's kinda silly of them, abandoning what made them survive, built them up and made them great, but they're embarrassed about it these days. While many a fan is depressed about their current state, they just continue down that road.

Seriously, I don't need a RPG from them with like a hundred million dollars spent on graphics... In that respect they're throwing away money.

I'm one of those people who didn't think FF13s graphics were that great. It's one thing to make nice character models and some pretty panoramic pictures as backgrounds, but nothing felt alive. Everything was so static. You couldn't interact with anything and I was underwhelmed. This kind of graphics without interaction was great/acceptable in the PS1/2 days, but FF13 could've been so much more.

• Great music.

Yeah. Get it.

After this I even want to get it :P And JRPGs are not my stuff except for some of the old ones, and for the same reasons you state lol.

I'm one of those people who didn't think FF13s graphics were that great. It's one thing to make nice character models and some pretty panoramic pictures as backgrounds, but nothing felt alive. Everything was so static. You couldn't interact with anything and I was underwhelmed. This kind of graphics without interaction was great/acceptable in the PS1/2 days, but FF13 could've been so much more.

Well... they did it back on PS1... :P There was usually a lot to interact with, things to explore, people and lore to dig into etc, and you were rewarded for it. FFXIII... extremely close to nothing of it.

Back on SNES and PS1, seeing the SquareSoft logo on the cover meant that it was a pretty safe purchase, with some very few exceptions. See if you can without looking at any list remember a single bad SquareSoft game for PS1... Then check with a list...

Threads of Fate. That game was balls as far as I can remember. It came out at the same time as Legend of Dragoon, and it took me about 10 minutes of playing the Sears demo in-store to realize which one was the better choice.

Threads of Fate. That game was balls as far as I can remember. It came out at the same time as Legend of Dragoon, and it took me about 10 minutes of playing the Sears demo in-store to realize which one was the better choice.

Eh? Threads of Fate is pretty good, though nowhere near many of the other games they released, but like at least FFXIII level.

Edited by MMDE

Also, if I buy FFVII, Do I also get the FFVII Theme? Or was that some timelimited deal?

IIRC, FF7 is still listed as a bundle, so I guess that is the bundle. I was wondering why it was listed as a bundle earlier today. :P

Oh, and when you play the game, you may want to look at a missable trophies guide, so you don't have to worry about that stuff more than you need to.

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/33117-missable-trophies-guide-community-effort/page-1

Tried to make it so you wouldn't need to look at it more than absolutely necessary.

Edited by MMDE

IIRC, FF7 is still listed as a bundle, so I guess that is the bundle. I was wondering why it was listed as a bundle earlier today. :P

Oh, and when you play the game, you may want to look at a missable trophies guide, so you don't have to worry about that stuff more than you need to.

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/33117-missable-trophies-guide-community-effort/page-1

Tried to make it so you wouldn't need to look at it more than absolutely necessary.

Alright great! I was looking at the guide earlier and saw a few missable, so Ill be sure to keep an eye out :)

Edited by BestGregger

What he said! :D

• 3 months later...