Word of Warning and some Technical Tips for Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition Players

Nednrb

Having recently 100%'d this game I will share my experience with this technical nightmare.

As you have either heard or experienced, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas is riddled with lag mainly due to your save file size.

Here are some tips that may prevent you from replacing a controller, PS3 or TV.

Tip 1

I strongly suggest you have PlayStation Plus and ensure that you setup to automatically upload to your cloud.  Also manually upload your save file to the PlayStation cloud every few hours.

The reason being: New Vegas can corrupt your hard drive when the game freezes, to the point where your PS3 will not boot or the game will be stuck in limbo prior to seeing the Loading Trophies bar when you launch the game from the XMV.  (Experienced corrupted hard drive once in Fallout 3 and twice in New Vegas and the fail to boot on New Vegas once)

The only workaround is pulling your hard drive out to allow the PS3 to launch on flash memory. Then turn it off put your hard drive in back in and boot.  This will format your hard drive and u will lose everything.

Tip 2

Do the DLC's right from the start.  I started Odd World Blues at level 2 and went one after the other.  The DLC's suffer massive FPS drops and the system hangs constantly even with a fresh save file.

Rank up your unarmed skill as you progress through the lower levels and use the saturnite fists and super heated saturnite fists (upgraded with the toaster) from Odd World Blues.

The latter absolutely devastates everything until your guns and energy weapons catch up in skill.  Reason why u want unarmed to begin with:  Ammo or lack thereof as your start the game.

Tip 3

When stuck in the loading screen for a awhile.  Press the PS Button to open the XMV Menu.  Wait a few seconds and close the menu back to game.  The XMV menu can sometimes freeze itself.  Just wait a little bit 99% of the time it will work again.  Doing this will almost guarantee the map to load.  Sometimes you will see pixels and polygons flying around everywhere once you zone in and you will load in with massive FPS drop.  So save and reboot game.

Tip 4

When the game starts to feel choppy save straight away.  Your game will likely crash any minute.

Tip 5

Deleting your game file and clearing cache does nothing.  Don't even bother.

Good luck.

Edited by Nednrb