Digital Homicide is suing Jim Sterling for 10 million dollars.

Wavergray

So in the midst of all the fair use stuff on youtube, the Steam game developer Digital Homicide is suing Jim Sterling for 10 million dollars.

Now I don't really care for Jim Sterling, while the opinions of people like him and TotalBiscuit are needed, sometimes their opinions are the opinions of outsides who don't understand what they are talking about.

However, my feeling aside you can't sue someone for having an opinion! That's just stupid!

Source: http://kotaku.com/angered-game-developer-sues-game-critic-jim-sterling-fo-1765484317

Video about it: 

Edited by soultaker655

That's not going to work out for them, unless they just wanted attention. By the way, 10 million? What?!  Are they hoping that number will cause him to try and settle out of court?

Also, I am sick of people blaming youtubers for the actions of their subscribers. I haven't watched a Jimquisition in a good long while, but I doubt he said "Go, subscribers, threaten violence upon this man!"

Every channel I'm subscribed to seems to be in the middle of (or just coming off of) some kind of flagging campaign, false DMCA, or some other petty shit, I guess it was inevitable the Jim Sterling would get a taste of it.

Is anyone siding with Digital Homicide on this? I ask because, like I said, I haven't kept track of this channel, so if Sterling did cross the line somewhere, I wouldn't have seen it.

• Like 1

It's a shame that the same laws that were put into place to protect others in financial hardship is now being abusing by the people who cause it. Anyway, I don't think the lawsuit will go through because they setup some makeshift kick-starter to pay for it. It also seems that a lot of people are on Jim's side, so I doubt people will have no trouble in helping their favourite video game pundit. 

As I said in your Status Update: WTF, Digital Homicide is fucking retarded, I hope the lawsuit backfires on them and makes them go bankrupt.

They are trying to get their lawsuit funded by the masses, so yeah, I think this is a last ditch attempt from them. 

Who is that guy?

Jim? That's Jim "I was on the block, I didn't see nothing" Sterling! 

• Like 1

From that Kotaku article:

Update - 12:25 pm: Digital Homicide has taken down its crowdfunding request “due to harassers donating amounts specifically to cause charges rather than donations and charge backs to cause financial fees...[W]e will be seeking another avenue for donations”

What happens when gamers don't like something you're doing. Gamers have been trained to see the systems underneath the presentation and they will game the system to achieve their aims - in this case, by making things even worse for you. 

This is going to be very interesting to watch. As far as I can tell, Jim has been very careful to check his sources with regards to these guys, no doubt because he could tell they hold a grudge and might do this one day. 

They've apparently moved their funding campaign to gofundme.com, where they've raised $190 in 14 hours, against a target of $75,000, at the time of writing. 

I didnt knew there was an interview between jim and digital homeside.

But by looking at the first 40 minutes I can just laugh because of the retardness of this discussion

1. Using swear words before discussion starts is a douche move by digital.
2. Getting money because of videosads is a better thing than scamming other poeples money away by creating shuffleware.
3. its fine to give your opinion on fair use. But it is in the law and Jim is clearly critizising the content.
4. (Every bad publicity is publicity)
5. Using preset assets in videos is better then using preset assets in a game. people will notice, people will find the lazyness. therefore critizising on that point is oke.
6. Saying to Jim that he doesnt do his homework about dumb things which has almost nothing to do with the game itself (because he didnt know things like release date) shouldnt matter if you review a game.

7. If video games doesnt exist then jim probably is doing something else, He makes this point allot and that without him Jim couldnt do anything
8. Jim is weak debater. but he is to passive and just let all the dumb arguments walk over him. I would like to see him (counter)attacking as he had plenty oppertunity to do that

Edited by MvP-BumperKlever

That's not going to work out for them, unless they just wanted attention. By the way, 10 million? What?!  Are they hoping that number will cause him to try and settle out of court?

Also, I am sick of people blaming youtubers for the actions of their subscribers. I haven't watched a Jimquisition in a good long while, but I doubt he said "Go, subscribers, threaten violence upon this man!"

Every channel I'm subscribed to seems to be in the middle of (or just coming off of) some kind of flagging campaign, false DMCA, or some other petty shit, I guess it was inevitable the Jim Sterling would get a taste of it.

Is anyone siding with Digital Homicide on this? I ask because, like I said, I haven't kept track of this channel, so if Sterling did cross the line somewhere, I wouldn't have seen it.

That's the problem. Random people on Youtube think they need to "help" the video maker. I know the Retsupurae guys have begged their subscribers to stop visiting the channels of people they RPd because it just led them to get strikes on their channels and have videos removed. So because of all that "help" they stopped doing Retsupurae because it just wasn't worth it anymore.

• Like 1

Who is that guy?

Just another internet celebrity/sensation you shouldn't really worry about.

Anyway... "Romine also said he recently received a package full of feces in the mail"

This is as pitiful as saying "i have many gay friends" after making homophobic statements.

ps: i wonder what would happen if "NightWolve" decides to sue XSEED (or vice-versa) for all the crap involving his game translations, lol.

Edited by Lance_87