New, More Powerful PS4 On The Way?

Parker

They should save these additions for the next PlayStation console. Just because Nintendo did this move with the "New" 3DS doesn't mean Sony should do the same with the PS4. Xenoblade Chronicles and the upcoming Hyrule Warriors Legends take advantage of the new hardware but still won't convince many old 3DS owners to upgrade. If the rumor is true, hopefully its price is a bit reduced.

My guess is most of this is speculation or to spark intrigue.  The 'slim' PS4 we all knew was inevitable might be slightly more powerful, but my guess is bigger hard drive and new case design will be the main selling point (just like every PS redesign that came before it).  As far as 4K, if it's going to be a thing on PS4 it's most likely already capable like 3D was on PS3 and it will just need to be enabled in a firmware update.  If 4K or VR need something the PS4 can't provide, there may be an additional purchase needed, but it almost has to be solely for those features and any new games that don't require VR would have to be compatible with the current PS4 as is.

The alternative would lead to Xbones selling out this holiday season while 'new' PS4s sit on the shelves and Microsoft evens out in this gen's console war.  There's no way Sony let's that happen.  Everyone would be fired.

So yeah, this just seems like hype to get people talking.  PSVR doesn't come out til October.  We still have Devcon, E3, Gamescon, and PAX Prime for them to drop details before this is relevant.  So we'll see...

• Like 1

Not really sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, as has been previously mentioned, it's far too early for Sony to even consider 'ending' the regular PS4's run, which is what it sounds like will happen with this whole VR malarkey.  They would alienate a great deal of loyal customers who have bought a PS4, especially those who have bought them more recently.

On the other hand, I could give a crap about VR gaming, as it simply doesn't interest me all that much.  I still haven't bought a PS4 yet, and am unlikely to do so this year - and if vanilla PS4 ends up being phased out sooner than anticipated in favour of a VR-enabled PS4, well, I just may end my gaming time with the vanilla model.  By the time i finish up my PS3 backlog, buy a PS4, and work through most of the games that are on my to-play list, I'll likely be heading toward the tail end of my 30s, and I'll have less time available to play, so vanilla PS4 is highly likely to be my last console.

Sorry, Sony, but I'm not interested in this whole VR gimmick.

Yeah, because the whole New 3DS thing did so well. Hopefully this is a joke as is Microsoft's idea for upgrading the Xbox One because nothing will kill consoles faster than making them exactly as annoying as PCs. Just give us the Playstation 5 in two or three years and we'll be good to go. Do not fragment the player base.

Vita is the best handheld indeed :D Sony really made the best consoles this gen however they let my favorite handheld die without having a proper chance

Vita is the best handheld? LOL. It may be the most powerful, but that doesn't mean it's the best. If it were truly the best, they wouldn't be letting it die.

OT: People are panicking way too easily about this. You see a rumor flying around that there might be a new console in the works and you're freaking out. There's nothing to this other than the fact they may have been talking about how to do it at a later date. xD Relax.

Vita is the best handheld? LOL. It may be the most powerful, but that doesn't mean it's the best. If it were truly the best, they wouldn't be letting it die.

OT: People are panicking way too easily about this. You see a rumor flying around that there might be a new console in the works and you're freaking out. There's nothing to this other than the fact they may have been talking about how to do it at a later date. xD Relax.

it is the best for me brawler, best doesnt mean most successful, sadly the vita got swallowed and it didn't have a chance to shine

My guess is most of this is speculation or to spark intrigue.  The 'slim' PS4 we all knew was inevitable might be slightly more powerful, but my guess is bigger hard drive and new case design will be the main selling point (just like every PS redesign that came before it).  As far as 4K, if it's going to be a thing on PS4 it's most likely already capable like 3D was on PS3 and it will just need to be enabled in a firmware update.  If 4K or VR need something the PS4 can't provide, there may be an additional purchase needed, but it almost has to be solely for those features and any new games that don't require VR would have to be compatible with the current PS4 as is.

The alternative would lead to Xbones selling out this holiday season while 'new' PS4s sit on the shelves and Microsoft evens out in this gen's console war.  There's no way Sony let's that happen.  Everyone would be fired.

So yeah, this just seems like hype to get people talking.  PSVR doesn't come out til October.  We still have Devcon, E3, Gamescon, and PAX Prime for them to drop details before this is relevant.  So we'll see...

Totally agree, the positives don't outweigh the negatives. 

it is the best for me brawler, best doesnt mean most successful, sadly the vita got swallowed and it didn't have a chance to shine

I get that, but the best also doesn't mean the most powerful. It didn't have enough of it's own games, not to mention the fact games were too expensive to make for a console that wasn't doing all that great. It was a losing formula. This isn't to say I don't think it's an awesome device, I just can't agree that it's the best. :P

Sony are doing good right now, they should focus their energy on giving their customers what they really want (name changes/folders etc..) to try and build up some loyalty with the players rather than bring out a new console which very few (if anyone??) asked for.

Couldn't agree more.

Edited by Mad_Nexus

then you may as well just build a good gaming PC

Are some people just in agreement that PC is the best platform if you can afford it?  Because given this is a community that would logically appreciate PSN, trophy support and/or Sony's exclusives above almost all else (gaming-wise)... I hope you realize that you'd be giving those things up just to pay potentially the same amount of money for effectively the same thing (sans the mentioned features)?  The PC really doesn't have much of an equivalent when it comes to any of them.

Edited by Dreakon13

Things I want on my new PS4.5...

EXTREMELY faster load time....

more RAM please...

HDD ok lets start at 3TB...

Backwards compatible with... well PS4 and mayyybe PS3 duh.

Ok guess none of that is going to happen....

Are some people just in agreement that PC is the best platform if you can afford it?  Because given this is a community that would logically appreciate PSN, trophy support and/or Sony's exclusives above almost all else (gaming-wise)... I hope you realize that you'd be giving those things up just to pay potentially the same amount of money for effectively the same thing (sans the mentioned features)?  The PC really doesn't have much of an equivalent when it comes to any of them.

I'm well aware, I'm just not for buying a new console every 2-3 years. But that being said, I'm not going to argue about something that doesn't officially exist lol 

For all we know this "PS4.5" is just a slim remodel with some extra bang besides a cosmetic overhaul.

I'm well aware, I'm just not for buying a new console every 2-3 years. But that being said, I'm not going to argue about something that doesn't officially exist lol

You don't have to argue anything, I'm just wondering why buying a new $300 console every 3 years is worse than spending about $600 upgrading your PC every 6 years?  It's six of one, half dozen of the other... only difference being, out of spite I guess, you (may be) willingly giving up things you like/prefer about the Playstation.

Unless you just think the PC is better anyways, and the high price of entry is the only reason you're here.

Edited by Dreakon13

You don't have to argue anything, I'm just wondering why buying a new $300 console every 3 years is worse than spending about $600 upgrading your PC every 6 years?  It's six of one, half dozen of the other... only difference being, out of spite I guess, you (may be) willingly giving up things you like/prefer about the Playstation.

Yeah for me the losing of PS exclusives would be the biggest sacrifice, obviously. But IF this is true, hopefully it is reasonably priced as I like to have more than just one console to play. That would bomb out my wallet if consoles go this route lol

From the link: Sony’s research and development labs have prototype devices, but while more GPU power is being offered to developers, “realistically it is nowhere near enough to provide native 4K gaming at the same quality level as current 1080p titles.”

My take: Yeah, no crap. No manufacturer isn't constantly experimenting with new stuff. That doesn't mean that any of it is actually being put into production. Let me know when a manufacturer (Foxconn) leaks this new board in production or Sony makes an official announcement.