Should I Play It?

Dragn_Whytefyre

If you enjoy an interactive movie experience (like Heavy Rain or Beyond: Two Souls) then I think you'll enjoy this game. From what I've seen I think it looks interesting and when I get a chance I'll be playing through it. 

Parker

• Like 1

I wasn't keen on playing it as I get scared by any sort of horror stuff but it's a really enjoyable game, loved the story as it's just one of those silly teen horrors but it worked. Characters were great and so was the gameplay. I definitely think you should give it a go if its a rental. 

Oh. Crap. I hated Heavy Rain. With a distinct purple passion. Damn I'm glad you told me that.

the only similarity with heavy rain is that it plays and feels like an interactive movie, but i can assure you that is far better than heavy rain, the way the story is told and its twists, the characters, graphics, the gameplay is way better, more meaningful choices that can determine who lives and dies which also adds a lot of tension, etc... it wasn't even made by the same guys who did heavy rain so its very different than heavy rain.

also people who disliked heavy rain loved until dawn, like two famous youtubers that i watch. so at least you can try looking for videos before stating that you are not going to play it if you don't know anything about the game.

until dawn had very good reviews and very good sales, it even made it to youtube's top 10 most searched games of the site from last year, so you can see that it was well received by both users and press. i highly recommend it.

Edited by smellslikejavier

"Far better" is debatable. It's an homage to cheesy teenage slasher movies and all their associated cliches, and it plays out like one. If cheap jump scares still work on you instead of making your eyes roll, you'll love it.

i said better since it clearly improved on the premise that heavy rain set with this new "choice based" game genre and it doesn't have any of the many plot holes that heavy rain has.

and yeah until dawn wasn't made as a serious 100% true scary game, that wasn't the developers idea, they just wanted to create the "ultimate interactive horror movie experience" and they did it perfectly, so they had to include all the stuff that you find on horror movies like cliches, stereotypes, killers, ghosts, spirits, monsters, teenagers, the cheap jumpscares are also something found on horror movies so they obviously had to put those in the game, etc... and it's pretty amazing how they mixed and connected all of that stuff in 1 game, so i suppose that the sequel will parody other sub-genres of the horror movie genre.

I'm going to be honest here: I would really like to love "Until Dawn" as much as most people did, but I didn't. I liked it, but it was very far from being a memorable or impactful experience like both "Heavy Rain" and "Beyond:Two Souls" were. I prefer Quantic Dream's games, because the stories are more mature. I think I'm too old to enjoy the type of story and the type of characters that "Until Dawn" has to present. It's still worth playing, but, if I knew what kind of experience the game was, I wouldn't have spent 44€ on the game like I did. Everything is just too childish and the ending is just meh. It's just my opinion, of course.

• Like 1

I'm going to be honest here: I would really like to love "Until Dawn" as much as most people did, but I didn't. I liked it, but it was very far from being a memorable or impactful experience like both "Heavy Rain" and "Beyond:Two Souls" were. I prefer Quantic Dream's games, because the stories are more mature. I think I'm too old to enjoy the type of story and the type of characters that "Until Dawn" has to present. It's still worth playing, but, if I knew what kind of experience the game was, I wouldn't have spent 44€ on the game like I did. Everything is just too childish and the ending is just meh. It's just my opinion, of course.

yeah like i said it was made to be as a parody/homage/satire of every horror movie, they weren't trying to create a mature or serious game at all since that was never the developer's objective, just a parody of every stuff that happens in teen horror movies, and i saw many people appreciate the fact that the game didn't took itself too seriously unlike quantic dream's games, personally i love quantic dream games but i had a far better experience with this game, it also helped the fact that i'm a huge fan of the horror movie genre and i knew that this game was just a giant parody of it, unlike some other people that seemed to played it expecting a true scary game like PT or something like that, but yeah its just a matter of opinions.

Until dawn was a great game and it did feel much like heavy rain and beyond two souls, however, it is a completely different kind of story/feel to it. I personally enjoyed both heavy rain and beyond two souls more than until dawn but all 3 were amazing titles. If you are renting it then there is absolutely no reason to not give it a go. Plus the platinum trophy was a cake walk.

Until Dawn plays a lot like Heavy Rain and the usual Telltale games, if you're not into that type of interactive gameplay then you might not like this, the only difference is that this game is horror-centered, other than that all you do is walk around, talk to people (and choose what you want to say), find clues about what's going on, etc. This game is like a cliché'd horror movie that you can control and pick what a character says or does, which could lead to their death.

But, i'd say you should try it out! It's quite a short game and the platinum is easy to get, if you're only renting it for a small price then why not give it a shot? You never know.  :)

I've just finished my first playthrough and the game is amazing, the story is really nicely written and the graphics are superb. The platinum seems easy to achieve as well, and it should be doable under a week, so it is definitely worth a rent.

If you liked Telltale's The Walking Dead you'll probably like this. I really enjoy this kind of 'interactive movie' game where your decisions can have several outcomes.

Edited by Guimace

• 6 months later...

"Far better" is debatable. It's an homage to cheesy teenage slasher movies and all their associated cliches, and it plays out like one. If cheap jump scares still work on you instead of making your eyes roll, you'll love it.

I agree, it's far far better.  :) This is homage to exactly why nobody should ever take a trophy completionist's advice on whether or not a game is playable, or their word on comparisons.  99% of them are ocd, triggered happy, nerds.  This game's story is leaps beyond and far better.  The jumps scares where quite solid and the tension was there all the way.  Even the action and qte sequences were cool.  They weren't cheap.  You're quote here is cliche and cheap, but hey it's your opinion, and here's my opinion on yours.  Bogus, eyes rolling is the definition of half glass empty on this amazing game.  Cheers you debby downer. 

Deal with it.

• Like 1