Here's how to open the Mystery Hatch - Sheltered

MafiaBrett

First things first, you will need the FISH as your pet.

Once in your shelter and looking at your fish tank, pay attention to the bubbles the fish creates. It will create bubbles in 4 sets, with a 1 second pause before the next set. After all 4 sets the fish will swim around for a bit before repeating the process.

So for example in my game the fish did

5 bubbles *pause* 9 bubbles *pause* 2 bubbles *pause* 8 bubbles

So the code was 5928.

NOW before you go trying to use my code.. It WONT work in your game.

The code is randomly generated each time you start a new shelter!!

• Like 1

yes the code is random for every shelter/game. It's a shame that the only way to get it is to get the gold fish as the family pet, so the early game would be more challenging because usually people go for the horse or the dog for the safer route. Horse for better in expeditions and dog for better in combat assists.

Not sure about this, if the current family pet died, I heard you can get a new family pet?

so if I didn't pick a fish for a pet at the start, I have to do a whole new run just for the code???

Moving to a new shelter after completing the Extended Family quests grants a new pet and a 5th family member. Kill off your existing pet prior to moving to create room for the Goldfish, being mindful that a dead pet is traumatic, so have an adult on-hand to dig a grave and dispose of the corpse.

The new pet is random, so backup the Game Save to Online or USB, load the new shelter, restore the Game Save and rinse & repeat until the Goldfish pops up to avoid a fresh play-through. The game will continue on a new map, however all Special (tier 5) items and family stats transfer to the new shelter, which makes life much easier.

At first, maintaining the fish can be slightly challenging - cleaning the tank costs 10 Water and there's very little water to go around. Stock up on Large Water Butts and upgrade the Water Filter asap to keep the pet alive (black rain is bad m'kay), and for long expeditions to find the Mystery Hatch.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Soooooo....60 days into the second shelter and there is no Mystery Hatch to be found on the map.

Is it one of the default map markers, or do we simply stumble across it in the Wilderness?

Are there any prerequisites for it to spawn, other than the Goldfish for the correct code (I have the fish)?

I've scoured every corner of the map, including all map markers and gaps in between using the Binoculars, and can't find the freaking thing!

Might need a fresh save afterall...very disappointing waste of time.

Soooooo....60 days into the second shelter and there is no Mystery Hatch to be found on the map.Is it one of the default map markers, or do we simply stumble across it in the Wilderness?Are there any prerequisites for it to spawn, other than the Goldfish for the correct code (I have the fish)?I've scoured every corner of the map, including all map markers and gaps in between using the Binoculars, and can't find the freaking thing!Might need a fresh save afterall...very disappointing waste of time.

You know Ive heard from someone else that its possible that the mystery hatch sometimes doesn't spawn on the map but wasnt entirely sure. The map marker should be "?" but instead of blue it should be green if you've discovered it.

There's a trick to finding the mystery hatch as soon as possible. Start up a new map and build as much Water Butts as possible, then build atleast 2 beds or sleeping bags. Send out 2-3 of your family members individually and try to cover as much ground/locations as possible giving them 60-80 water each. The only supplies you should bring back home should be food, fuel, and materials for beds/water butts/crafting bench.

This is the strategy i used and ended up uncovering the whole map by day 45. There's a chance you'll lose a family member or 2 but that's okay, since I assume your only goal is mystery hatch trophy.

MAKE SURE to figure out the code from the goldfish first though, Incase it dies.

Edited by MafiaBrett