Minecraft: Story Mode Episode 5 Releases March 29th, & DLC News

damon8r351

Episode 5 will be releasing on March 29th. So next Tuesday's store update. At least it's coming out before Michonne is finished.

Also, there will be an Episode 6, 7, and 8 released later in the year as DLC similar to TWD's 400 Days. These are not included in the season pass.

In addition, there is the Adventure Pass, that combines all three DLC into one price for $14.99, and a Deluxe Pass that combines both the Season Pass and Adventure Pass for $39.99. So probably wait for that price to go down, because $40 is too much even for me in regards to Telltale games.

Edited by damon8r351

They've seriously finished this game in 5 months... Yet took over a year for Tales ... 

Why did you have to complain about that? Do you want them to take over a year or something? 

The additional episodes are unexpected, Telltale have too much on their plate with Batman, TWDS3 and a Marvel game next year. Weird choice but they think it's worth it.

Why did you have to complain about that? Do you want them to take over a year or something? 

I cared about Tales, not about this. Not sure how they can shift one game out in 5 months, but for another it takes over a year. It's not like their games are groundbreaking and doing interesting things or fixing their crappy engine :(

I cared about Tales, not about this. Not sure how they can shift one game out in 5 months, but for another it takes over a year. It's not like their games are groundbreaking and doing interesting things or fixing their crappy engine :(

I would not be suprised if doing facial animations and the other things that come with game with better graphics versus the blocky graphics of minecraft have a large part to do with that. Theres also more basic things like kids are impatients, parents will grab pitchforks and they need to get episodes out quicker as kids will just lose interest rather than waiting for an ending. Any or all of those factors would likely play a large part in that.

I would not be suprised if doing facial animations and the other things that come with game with better graphics versus the blocky graphics of minecraft have a large part to do with that. Theres also more basic things like kids are impatients, parents will grab pitchforks and they need to get episodes out quicker as kids will just lose interest rather than waiting for an ending. Any or all of those factors would likely play a large part in that.

True did forget about Minecraft's set up basically being blocks. Would make the environments etc a lot easier. But still... think it's like a 9 month difference, seems a long time even for that. Maybe I'm wrong (I don't know too much detail about game development)

True did forget about Minecraft's set up basically being blocks. Would make the environments etc a lot easier. But still... think it's like a 9 month difference, seems a long time even for that. Maybe I'm wrong (I don't know too much detail about game development)

I dont know enough about computer design to really comment, but consider the following:

- Minecraft textures are already done and dusted they don't need to make this look better or push the bar, other games need to have textures for all the different graphical settings as well as things like complex shadows and lighting effects.

- Lip syncing this is a complete joke in minecraft

- facial animations there's a ridiculous amount you need to do for TWD in MC you need to just have 6 different frames

- Motion capture, movement animations, other telltale games have to consider all the full range of movement

- Blood and guts the tell tale games I've played have all had bodies taking damage and getting chopped up they don't need to just worry about the outsides of characters but also the insides.

Now on the most basic level say it takes an hour to make 6 frames of animation and 2 to do 12. Then on minecraft making a full range of emotes for a persons face takes one hour, Clementine on the other hand might need around 200 facial animation frames... I know thats not exactly how it works as they have tools to tweak so doing a lot more animations for cle wont take that much longer but it certainly will take twice as long if not more hence the much slower production times, even when they reused assets.

Edited by Superbuu3
  • Like 1

Hopefully they'll offer some sort of bundle price for the DLC.  Did wonder where they were going with the story after the ep4 ending, makes sense if it's being extended into 8 total episodes now.  

Still that's another plat booked in for beginning of April.

Hopefully they'll offer some sort of bundle price for the DLC.  Did wonder where they were going with the story after the ep4 ending, makes sense if it's being extended into 8 total episodes now.  

Still that's another plat booked in for beginning of April.

We need a Season Pass for the DLC?

Well, episode 5 took me 1hr 10minutes, with a few breaks for coffee etc, so it's short. No spoilers. Just short. Waited a long time for that. Still, 5th person to platinum it (ps4), so I'm happy. Too late in the day to do it on PS3, but if I did, according to this site i would've been the first. Off to bed.. :)

No idea but the DLC isn't included in the pass for the 1st 5 episodes.  So I'd rather save money with a bundle price than shell out for each on individually.

There's something called an Adventure Pass for all three DLCs for $14.99. You can also buy both combined passes for $39.99.

Anyone else notice a trophy title inconsistency with the site? Ep5Ch1 is called "Finders Keepers" (and so is the trophy named on my PS4) but it lists as "You Are Stronger Than You Know" on this site. Probably needs an update here. Makes me wonder what the PSNprofiles source is though, but also if renaming titles is a possibility on the PSN side that I never noticed before.

Well, episode 5 took me 1hr 10minutes, with a few breaks for coffee etc, so it's short. No spoilers. Just short. Waited a long time for that. Still, 5th person to platinum it (ps4), so I'm happy. Too late in the day to do it on PS3, but if I did, according to this site i would've been the first. Off to bed.. :)

good. this has been telltales worst shit and i want it to be over with. gonna have to play ep 5 this weekend ugh. and then i'll have to get the dlc. eat all the dicks telltale (and I LOVED them after walking dead season 1 + 2, wolf among us, etc)

Anyone else notice a trophy title inconsistency with the site? Ep5Ch1 is called "Finders Keepers" (and so is the trophy named on my PS4) but it lists as "You Are Stronger Than You Know" on this site. Probably needs an update here. Makes me wonder what the PSNprofiles source is though, but also if renaming titles is a possibility on the PSN side that I never noticed before.

It's because Telltale changed the names of the Episode 5 trophies midway through the season. Further evidence that they really had no idea what they were going to do at the end of the season, which is why it ends so absurdly and abruptly and needed the 3 extra DLC episodes. Ugh, what a mess.

• 3 weeks later...