Galaxy S7 Edge First Thoughts

Parker

Alright, I've had my S7 Edge for 5 days so I figured I'd give some impressions after a work week of use. One thing to keep in mind is I upgraded from a Galaxy S4 so some of the things that I mention may be old additions that I just haven't experienced yet. 

Anyways, let's start with one of the first things you'll notice taking it out of the box, the design. The phone is absolutely gorgeous. I chose a silver phone (the black version looks great too) and it is honestly one of the best looking, if not the best, that I've seen. The curved screen is very strange and cool at the same time and it looks like a nice piece of hardware. It is very comfortable and feels substantial in your hand, it doesn't feel cheap and with the curved back it is extremely comfortable to hold. Unfortunately I ruined all that by putting on Otterbox case on it.  :lol: Still looks good though. 

The next thing I noticed is just how fast the phone is. I don't have an SD card in my S4 and the phone is filled to the brim (I can't even read new e-mails anymore) so that may have something to do with it, but it has seemed very sluggish for quote a while. When I booted the S7 Edge up, downloaded a few apps and tried them out, the phone opened them almost instantly, even when there were multiple apps opened, something my S4 definitely struggled with. If you double tap the home button the phone opens the camera which is a cool little shortcut and even in an app, this process is extremely quick, just like the rest of the phone.

While we're on the topic of camera, this thing has a pretty badass camera. I was going to try to get some pictures of my S7 Edge with my S4 but for me it is a pain in the ass to try to get some good shots with that phone. But the camera on the S7 Edge (and the S7, they have the same camera) makes it extremely easy for someone to get a good looking shot. I took these pictures yesterday and uploaded them to Photobucket from my phone. I'm not sure if any quality is lost during that process but here you go. Also, keep in mind that I'm far from a competent photographer. I just pointed my phone and hit the shutter button. 

20160326_084337_zpsjd8b62jf.jpg

20160326_084401_zpsmmlls1ok.jpg

20160326_084533_zpsmoo4zgm8.jpg

20160326_084535_zpsnya46ugn.jpg

20160326_0845470_zpsqb3lddgr.jpg

20160326_085155_zps9wpqbc9f.jpg

The phone has surprisingly good video capabilities as well. I'm a car enthusiast so I'm on quite a few car forums and someone wanted a video of a straight piped Common Rail TDI so I figured what better way to test my new phone's recording ability. I recorded this yesterday, 1080P and 60fps from a phone is pretty cool. 

The battery life on this phone has far surpassed my expectations as well but that could be because I'm used to the awful battery on my S4. I would have that phone charged to 100%, leave for work which is about a 35-40 minute drive and when I arrived the battery would be down to 88%. The phone would lose that much charge doing literally nothing, no phone calls, no music, no apps, nothing. My S7 Edge on the other hand, I'll leave for work with a 100% charge and arrive with a 99% charge. I'll then put it in my gunbox for 9 or so hours and come back the next morning with a 99% charge. It takes about two and a half days of my use for the phone to need to be charged. I've played Pocket Mortys, Plants Vs. Zombies, Real Racing 3, Netflix, Twitch, YouTube, made phone calls, took pictures, recorded video and everything else and the battery just lasts. It is nice knowing that I can play with my phone and still use it when I need it. 

The fingerprint feature is pretty cool as well. I no longer need to swipe a pattern to unlock my phone, I just place my thumb on the home button and it unlocks itself. 

If anyone wants to know anything in particular about the S7 Edge just let me know and I'll do my best to answer your question. 

• Like 1