Is it worth it?

Now I adore the series and the story but since black flag (which was fun gameplay but lacked the AC heart) I haven't been an avid fan where I buy the games on release date.. I've played and plat Syndicate cause eh I'm from England so I was curious on the London setting (and as a typical brit i love anything to do with victorians) but I was obviously lost with some modern day stuff like that female assassin which I have no clue who she is!

So my point is I haven't played Rogue or Unity.. is it worth it? Or should I just watch it online to get the jist of it?

Rogue is very similar to Black Flag from what I've played of it so far (although I enjoy it more than Black Flag as it feels like an improved version of it, but that's just me).. Chances are that if you didn't like Black Flag much, you won't feel a whole lot different about this game.

• Like 1

Rogue has some of the same elements of Black Flag in terms of gameplay but this game follows an Assassin turned Templar. So you may not get that "assassin's brotherhood" feel so much as a story that questions everything.

In terms of the current story it give slight insight in to things but not to much. To me it seems like Ubisoft doesn't know what it wants to do with the actual story since ACIII.

Unity without glitches was ok. New mechanics to get used to but overall the very best looking game in the series. Imo Arno is the worst character in the series. I even like Ezio more than Arno. As to the modern day story....again...it kinda just focuses on something specific without much else connecting to the other games.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys! I did know that Rogue was a Templar thing which sounded awesome but the problems with Unity overshadowed it so I heard nothing on it.. Black Flag I loved all the sailing stuff but HATED the land missions and to an unpopular opinion i didn't like Edward.. he was little bland for me. And when Black Flag finished I didnt realise it was over.. the 'boss' battle didn't feel like one lol nothing compared to beating up the pope haha!

Maybe I should go off and buy Rogue (cause I saw the list is pretty much easy thanks to no multi) and watch unity then?

You should definitely get Rogue. While Unity got all the press(and none of it good), Rogue flew under the radar and turned out to be a surprising hit. The story is better than Black Flag and incorporates old friends familiar to the AC franchise. It plays similar to Black Flag but personally, I liked this one much better (I didn't care for Edward either). Easy to platinum too with no MP.

• Like 1

You should definitely get Rogue. While Unity got all the press(and none of it good), Rogue flew under the radar and turned out to be a surprising hit. The story is better than Black Flag and incorporates old friends familiar to the AC franchise. It plays similar to Black Flag but personally, I liked this one much better (I didn't care for Edward either). Easy to platinum too with no MP.

Thanks for the input x x

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys! I did know that Rogue was a Templar thing which sounded awesome but the problems with Unity overshadowed it so I heard nothing on it.. Black Flag I loved all the sailing stuff but HATED the land missions and to an unpopular opinion i didn't like Edward.. he was little bland for me. And when Black Flag finished I didnt realise it was over.. the 'boss' battle didn't feel like one lol nothing compared to beating up the pope haha!

Maybe I should go off and buy Rogue (cause I saw the list is pretty much easy thanks to no multi) and watch unity then?

I would get Unity simply for its graphics. It really shows you how nice a game they can make but they have to be able to take that extra step and say "hey a good looking game doesn't have to play like a steaming pile of cow dung while the less impressive looking games can play infinitely better. AND we can do all of this by taking our time." The story would be liked/disliked based on your own taste.  Unity definitely shattered Syndicate in terms of graphics too. 

As for Rogue...I enjoyed the game a lot but it just seemed...unnecessary considering it was the middle piece of the Kenway Saga. 

Price wise...they aren't that different where I live. Few dollars difference. If it sways you with Unity the dlc it has is free and is actually a bit of fun. :P

I would get Unity simply for its graphics. It really shows you how nice a game they can make but they have to be able to take that extra step and say "hey a good looking game doesn't have to play like a steaming pile of cow dung while the less impressive looking games can play infinitely better. AND we can do all of this by taking our time." The story would be liked/disliked based on your own taste.  Unity definitely shattered Syndicate in terms of graphics too. 

As for Rogue...I enjoyed the game a lot but it just seemed...unnecessary considering it was the middle piece of the Kenway Saga. 

Price wise...they aren't that different where I live. Few dollars difference. If it sways you with Unity the dlc it has is free and is actually a bit of fun. :P

haha both games it is then! They are pretty cheap near me too.. about £9 - £12 give or take.

• Like 1

Rogue is by far my favorite game in the series. Most protagonists (including Arno from Unity) are incredibly big egomaniacs. The only reason why they seem to go on their journey in the first place is to serve some purpose of their own. Altaïr wants to prove he is a bad-ass, Ezio wants revenge, Edward wants to become rich and Arno feels guilty for being selfish and not doing what he was told. Shay is the only one who has the character develpoment and does something that will not just serve him.

It's also the only game in the series that I've played from start to finish more than once (on another account) because it is just that good.

That being said, the gameplay is great and it's the only AC ever where the controls actually work. I've lost count how many time Ezio jumped off a building because the camera angle was slightly wrong or how many times Arno just hung there on a building refusing to go up, down or anywhere else.

Have you bought the game by now? How do you like it?

• Like 2

Started the game yesterday and haven't got that far yet. Initial feelings are its a reskinned more serious version of black flag, thats not a criticism as I enjoyed black flag. 

At first I wasn't sold into the game because of this. The menus look exactly like Black Flag too.

But I'm glad I bought it, was greatly surprised about it. Took the spot for my favorite game in the series.

Edited by leandrorhcp

Started the game yesterday and haven't got that far yet. Initial feelings are its a reskinned more serious version of black flag, thats not a criticism as I enjoyed black flag. 

Yes, the beginning up until you join the Templars is very Black Flag meets AC III.

Rogue is by far my favorite game in the series. Most protagonists (including Arno from Unity) are incredibly big egomaniacs. The only reason why they seem to go on their journey in the first place is to serve some purpose of their own. Altaïr wants to prove he is a bad-ass, Ezio wants revenge, Edward wants to become rich and Arno feels guilty for being selfish and not doing what he was told. Shay is the only one who has the character develpoment and does something that will not just serve him.

It's also the only game in the series that I've played from start to finish more than once (on another account) because it is just that good.

That being said, the gameplay is great and it's the only AC ever where the controls actually work. I've lost count how many time Ezio jumped off a building because the camera angle was slightly wrong or how many times Arno just hung there on a building refusing to go up, down or anywhere else.

Have you bought the game by now? How do you like it?

Great insight! Keep up the thoughtful posts!

• 7 months later...

I totally loved Black Flag. In my opinion, it's the best game of the series. That being said, I was completely and utterly disappointed with Rogue. We got it fairly soon after it came out and to this day, I still haven't finished the main story.

I don't know if I just have AC burnout or what, but I suddenly realized I just couldn't stomach playing this particular game anymore. I even got that annoying Master of the North Atlantic trophy, but just can't seem to make myself go back and finish the storyline.

Even though we have them both (my g/f loves AC), I've never even touched Unity or Sindicate mostly because of how boring I felt Rogue was.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved being a Templar for once. Other than that, it was basically a reskin of Black Flag, but it's the opposite of AC4 as well.

Cold weather - Bright, sunny weather

Templar - Assassin

And so on, and so on of course.

Anyway, this game was a nice change of pace for me and I really love it. But Black Flag is still better in my humble opinion :)

• 6 months later...

Playing through the game again now to go for the platinum and still, the main (and only real) point of criticism I have about the game is that the story is much too short, we could've done with two or three more sequences of assassin hunting before the climax.

Also, they kind of went overboard with the number of special armours in this one... I'm counting (at least) four, three for getting certain collectibles and one for finishing a set of side missions... Yet none of them have any special powers or stats. The cool thing about the special armour in AC II was that it was the most powerful and it wouldn't break, and other special armours in other games had some unique stuff as well but the ones in this game are literally only visually different from all the others.