Start the game over or continue with ng+ on deathmarch

Laldo95

Hey there,

I need some advice, i've played the witcher on normal and decided i wanted to go for the other platinum (I know my first playtrough should've been deathmarch), i only need the deathmarch trophy, and the gwent trophies. I started a couple of days ago with a new playtrough on newgameplus, but I found out deathmarch is still very difficult, i thought it would be easier with all the armour i already got and all the potions/oils etc., but the enemies were also stronger, so that did not really help me that much I guess...

So I was thinking maybe it's better to start all over again and re-install the game without all the patches so deathmarch will be easier, or maybe im already too far into the game for that. I'm not sure what's better at this point. 

I'm at the part where I just found Keira and we're exploring the cave, it was at this point I found out this is going to be really difficult and maybe even take more time than starting over again without all the patches so I can use godmode and level up faster.

So at this point, what is going to be faster? Also keep in mind I need all gwent related trophies and need to do this in the deathmarch playtrough since I also didn't spend any time on gwent in my first normal playtrough. I also hope it won't be a problem to combine the deathmarch playtrough with getting all the gwent cards. 

*sigh* I really regret not playing on deathmarch for my first playtrough :P

Edited by Laldo95

With a story this enjoyable I would just start a new game fresh on Deathmarch. You won't find it very difficult at all, except maybe for early Velen.

I would also use this spreadsheet to log Gwent cards collected. Take care to find the missable cards: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tGlGXRlTKdP0I89yvu3GRAoFYpwqWrEOTMXmxWGX2m4/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

I've been doing NG+ on Death March and it's rough at first but I got the hang of it after the first few battles. The key to fights from my experience is patience and always being on your guard. With enemies like Drowners and Ghouls it's easy to get swarmed but you can just constantly dodge with circle. Another thing that has helped is upgrading Quen all the way, and using the ability that lets you use Adrenaline Points for Signs if your stamina is too low. The other thing that helped me a lot is a certain Alchemy build I use. I'll post the exact stats tomorrow when I can look at it, but the build basically makes Potions more effective and last longer while giving more tolerance. Plus when I use Thunderbolt or any other similar potion it heals me.

So I wouldn't say start all over, as in NG+ the points that carry over can make you powerful if you put them in the right slots, plus I think it would be even more annoying to have to wait to get all the points again. And if you're going for Gwent it's best to have as much Gold carry over as possible, since you're going to want to spend Gold on cards, repairing equipment, and buying other things like food or Alchemy ingredients.

Edit: Okay, here's the Alchemy stats I use.

Refreshment: 5/5

Endure Pain: 5/5

Acquired Tolerance: 5/5

With those and a Greater Green Mutagen equipped I get a Vitality boost of +600. So top that off with more effective potions and healing with each one, most fights are easier.

Edited by Redgrave

Just start a fresh new game on Death March. Don't feel intimidated by the difficulty, speaking of experience of the base game (not NG+) of Death March, it's really easy.

The White Orchard was the only difficulty I encountered the whole time, and I did hunts even while being underleveled, and this is my first Witcher game.

Keep a trophy guide open on the Gwent section for the cards, and if you really want to make the combat even easier for yourself, invest in Axii Puppet early, you can cheese most fights with that.

EDIT: If you're not starting NG+, there is no need to delete patches is there?

Edited by Griffon234

I don't think it matters tbh as I suspect the learning curve is the same. It's tricky at first but once you get you can't fight the same way it becomes much easier. Personally I went for NG+ and struggled to beat Nithral on the Keira Metz quest line but once I 'got' it I breezed through to the end of the game. Good luck with whichever you choose!

I think i'll just continue with the game I already started on NG+. I actually enjoy it a lot and I think I'm getting used to it now, making it a bit more easy. I just started playing again and I fought Nithral, which was pretty easy actually since I got it the first try. Anyway, thanks for the info!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just started the NG+ on Death March and I'm finding really tough at the beginning, specially because your equipment you be like shit :/

I hope it gets easier late in the game.

What's your load out? That can be a factor as to how hard or easy the game is. When I first played the game, I was primarily a SIGNS player. Then I learned that Whirl and Rend (third tiers for Fast and Strong attacks respectively under COMBAT) are OP as hell. You'll go through enemies on any difficulty with those two abilities. I once Share Played with my friend and he was like, "Stop cheesing the enemy!"