Dirt Rally General Discussion

Parker

We're less than a week away from a proper rally sim being released on console and I cannot wait! I've played many an hour on PC and the game is absolutely amazing, it looks gorgeous and sounds just as good. I've always enjoyed the Dirt games for what they were, fun little "simcade" rally racing games, but this is on a whole different level. If Codemasters continue to put out content like this game, they have a very bright future ahead of them in the racing genre. 

To help the wait, some console gameplay. 

Parker

• Like 3

They improved a LOT from DiRT 3, the scenary is beautiful the gameplay is amazing and the sounds... my god, just phenomenal... I bought the game day 1 when it was on the alpha but with the updates the game stopped running on my crappy PC so this will be the reason I'm moving to the PS4 :P Cannot wait for this gem :D

My favorite location is Finland btw, loved doing full attack of those tracks ;)

With this, Assetto Corsa and GT Sport coming out sometime in the near future it's good to see the PS4 finally getting some more racing sims :) .

Also, seeing that 2001 Impreza flying through the Finish forests was just amazing, can't wait to try it out myself. :D

• Like 1

I can't wait to play this, I have to get this from Amazon as soon as I can. It looks absolutely incredible.

Are you a Prime member? Can't beat getting it on release day for $47.99 with Amazon Prime, it probably won't be that cheap in other retail stores for a few months at least. 

I read this game is like the Dark Souls of racing games lol

That is one way to put it.  :lol: Rally racing is much different than circuit racing and if you're not used to it then it can be really challenging. Once you understand the physics of the car and the different grip levels of the various surfaces it isn't too bad. But the casual fan will probably rage quit quite a bit. 

I've got it coming. Can't wait for a proper rally game on ps4. WRC5 was terrible!

Have you tried Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo? I've heard it is quite good for the most part, apparently much, much better than WRC 5. 

Parker

So I've never played a "racing sim" before. Maybe, it's just me but I'm more into the Arcade style racing games with simulated speeds and whatnot. I've been keeping my eye on this one though. Would it be a good entry point for racing sims?

So I've never played a "racing sim" before. Maybe, it's just me but I'm more into the Arcade style racing games with simulated speeds and whatnot. I've been keeping my eye on this one though. Would it be a good entry point for racing sims?

Honestly, I think this would be one of the worst starting points for someone new to racing sims. It is much harder to control your car on a rally stage, not only because the surfaces have less traction, but because the stage itself is very narrow so there is very little room for error. I think a better starting point would be Project Cars, Gran Turismo (if you don't mind last gen) or Assetto Corsa when that releases on console. Once you learn how to properly control a car the transition into Rally is much easier. 

Or, if you are really patient and calm you could start with this game but be prepared for a lot of failure.  :lol:

Parker

• Like 2

This is a pretty decent video too, coming from dedicated Sim Racers who have played quite a bit of the PC version. The first 8 minutes or so shows all the different wheel settings and such and then there is some driving. 

Not much longer now!

Parker

• Like 1

I don't think so, since it's the trophy is based on an online event.

Just be sure you have at all times 100 000 credits minimum until you get the trophy. 

Considering the overall level of players, it shouldn't be that hard getting into Top tier. 

Tough game. Picked it up as I enjoyed dirt 2 and 3 a while back. Didn't realise this was a simulation game until I realised I was completely shit at it and my first race took me 11 minutes to complete. Never the less I watched a few tutorials and videos to try and teach me some basics and every corner I ace is feeding the addiction to ace an entire route. If you stick with this game and are a fan of the dirt series it can get fairly addicting as it needs a decent amount of skill and knowledge.

Edited by Jacko_648

Got the game over the weekend, and man is it awesome! :D

It looks beautiful, sounds even better and the physics are pretty great too. I've enjoyed absolutely every second of it that I've played so far, albeit not that much (I've only completed the first Rally Championship and a couple of Rallycross ones as well). And of course it's a challenging game as well, as I'm finding it difficult to complete a single stage without crashing... and it's only the 1960's class. I can't imagine how difficult it would become to get one of those Group B monsters through a stage in one piece :lol: .

So this is my first rally game since V rally on the N64 I saw a preowned copy and just picked it up on a whim. I'm finding it seriously difficult, anyone got any tips on for me. The best I have come up with so far is slower is faster but I actually need to go a bit faster I think. 

So two people have already cheated their way to the plat. It's not possible to plat it yet because the last few stages of the monthly event haven't even been released yet. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to report them.

Edited by MrManBuz

• 1 month later...

So two people have already cheated their way to the plat. It's not possible to plat it yet because the last few stages of the monthly event haven't even been released yet. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to report them.

Is it possible to hack PS4 trophies already? Because I have not heard anything...

Yes there is. I've seen plenty of hacked trophy lists and the PS4 is certainly not impervious to being modded/hacked or whatever you want to call it. Game saves exist, as well as a bunch of other methods to cheat that I can't keep track of at all... I don't care enough, unless they're targeting me or others. Let SONY sort 'em out.

• 7 months later...

Soon players will be able to play Dirt Rally in VR: http://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-21174-DiRT-Rally-Gets-PlayStation-VR-Upgrade-in--Coming-Weeks--.html

I haven't played the game yet myself but I've heard nothing but good things about the game, so I'll be looking forward to trying it out in VR. It will be interesting to see what price they put on the VR DLC. 

For Spirit of the Rally (little help):

Set up a custom season in leagues with 12 stages. I used the Mini for this trophy and drove into trees at various angles until I damaged 3 areas to 0% EARLY on. This is to get used to driving with a very messed up car. My suggestion is to damage those components you can finish with, not risky ones that will fail you early. I actually ended on 4 flat tires for the last minute. I had Radiator/Exhaust/Suspension/Tires (lol) on 0%.

On 18.1.2017 at 11:15 AM, The_Apex_Badger said:

For Spirit of the Rally (little help):

Set up a custom season in leagues with 12 stages. I used the Mini for this trophy and drove into trees at various angles until I damaged 3 areas to 0% EARLY on. This is to get used to driving with a very messed up car. My suggestion is to damage those components you can finish with, not risky ones that will fail you early. I actually ended on 4 flat tires for the last minute. I had Radiator/Exhaust/Suspension/Tires (lol) on 0%.

Thank you! :)