Series Tracking

While it would probably have to be done manually (well, maybe most can be done automatically because of name matching and stuff), it would be pretty cool to have games organized in a series.

Maybe along with what you recommended you could show a module in the sidebar of game pages saying like "This game is part of a series" or "related lists" and list all the games in the series. I like the idea ;)

• Like 2

first of all, i really like the idea and have thought about something similar when all those project platinums came up.

While it would probably have to be done manually (well, maybe most can be done automatically because of name matching and stuff), it would be pretty cool to have games organized in a series.

Maybe along with what you recommended you could show a module in the sidebar of game pages saying like "This game is part of a series" or "related lists" and list all the games in the series. I like the idea ;)

if it would be manually moderated, this could also be used to set up automated project platinums, where someone gathers the games in a PP-List (similar to semi-automatically gathered game series) and you'll immediately have a PP leaderboard etc, without the need to gather them manually in a forum thread.

plus having a progress for game series or PPs like in the mock up above would be awesome, too!

edit: oh, just came to my mind: if it would be possible to create personal/private series lists just for yourself, another often asked feature would be checked off as well: a personal backlog / checklist system! ;)

Edited by dernop

I have thought about this as well as I love seeing full series at 100%, although I barely have any full series myself :P Would also be sweet with with a leaderboard for this, I often stalk myself through leaderboards to see if anyone have completed certain series.

What always creates problems with stuff like this are titles like LEGO Rock Band, it belongs in both LEGO and Rock Band and unless it's allowed to be in both, the system is "flawed". In the retired complete clubs at pst.org as well as the Project Platinum page on this site, LEGO fans screams to have Rock Band removed because it's practically impossible unless you are skilled with the music genre.

Edited by Bezenko

So, something like on That siTe, huh...

But how would this work with multiple lists? For example, consider all Nep versions, would you only consider the 11/12 main games or all 33/36?

That siTe doesn't use every list, it excludes stacks (and remasters/remakes I think?) making it incredibly useless and irrelevant.

Why can't we say True Trophies or PS3 Trophies or whatever?

It's not like they don't exist, it's not like a lot of people on here use other places, it's not like there's anything inherently wrong with mentioning them, and it's not like people don't mention them anyways.

I would love it, mostly because stuff like Modern Warfare 2 and 3 are currently midway through my list, meanwhile every other Call of Duty is up in the C section.

Heheh, C section.

I vote for Sly to edit both Modern Warfare lists to include Call of Duty at the start like the rest. That would be better suited and make more sense. Its what is says on the cover after all.  

It's not like they don't exist, it's not like a lot of people on here use other places, it's not like there's anything inherently wrong with mentioning them, and it's not like people don't mention them anyways.

Hakoom's alt alt account has finally revealed itself. We always knew he was lurking here, somewhere. 

:P

On topic:

Unless it can be automated, it seems like a lot of work for the admins. Even if automated you're still going to run into problems around how to define a "series".

Are all "Tom Clancy" branded games part of the same series, or is HAWX separate from Rainbox Six? What about franchises with spin-offs, e.g. the Sly Minigames or, when it releases, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood? As the OP has highlighted, games with multiple region-specific lists are going to be contentious - as was the case when their inclusion in the Project Platinum threads was debated. 

• Like 1

There was a certain user that tried to promote that site here, recruit our members, said profane things about sly and this site, etc. Long story short: TT is a taboo thibg to talk about.

On Topic: Love this Idea!

:awesome:  :awesome:  :awesome:  :awesome:  :awesome:  :awesome:  :awesome:  :awesome:  :awesome:  :awesome:  :awesome:  :awesome:  :awesome:  :awesome:  :awesome:  :awesome:  :awesome:  :awesome:  :awesome:  :awesome:  

qWnPVML.jpg

On topic though, I've wanted something like this ever since I joined the site. Maybe we could add something like a "Series Cabinet", similar to the trophy cabinet but for series you like or are proud of completing. Again over at McDowell's, they have something similar implemented but you don't have the freedom to showcase any series you've completed as the feature seems to be half finished/broken.

I'd love to see this implemented, it's a great idea.

Edited by LeetWolf2
  • Like 1

But how would this work with multiple lists? For example, consider all Nep versions, would you only consider the 11/12 main games or all 33/36?

I'm not sure, but I don't think it should be restricted to certain versions like Project Platinum is. I know not many people like to multiplat, so they probably shouldn't be punished for that if they've at least completed the game once.

How complicated would it be to only require one of each list to contribute towards overall series completion, while still including the others if the user owns them? It sounds like a lot more work but I don't know anything about coding.

What always creates problems with stuff like this are titles like LEGO Rock Band, it belongs in both LEGO and Rock Band and unless it's allowed to be in both, the system is "flawed". In the retired complete clubs at pst.org as well as the Project Platinum page on this site, LEGO fans screams to have Rock Band removed because it's practically impossible unless you are skilled with the music genre.

Games should definitely be allowed in more than one series. Tekken X Street Fighter and Dynasty Warriors Gundam also come to mind.

I think the difference between Clubs and PP and this is that they're forum competitions created for made fun and controlled by other posters, while this is used to track a person's progress indiscriminately. That's also why I wanted to make sure even unobtainable and regional lists are included. If some games aren't included for whatever reason, people might feel they can have games removed for other reasons, such as being too difficult or grindy.

Edited by Shadiochao

I suggested the same thing quite some time ago.

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/11401-how-about-a-series-progress-section/

There are a lot of problems in creating something like this.

First of all, who decides what game is part of a series (example: Uncharted Golden Abyss should be counted in the Uncharted series? What about Batman Arkham Origins?).

Would you include multiple version of the game if they have different trophy list?

Would you include different regions?

Would you include remasters?

Would you include remakes?

What about DLCs?

I assure you there would be a LOT of flaming discussions about such topics (just do a quick search on DLC rarity :lol: ).

And last but not least, who the heck is gonna upkeep such a thing?

EDIT:

Sorry if this comes across as harsh, it's not my intention. I would love such a feature myself.

Edited by Doctor Doom
  • Like 3

What if everyone can create his own series tabs for them self .  Like an Premium feature?  so I want all God of war in same series TAB  except the remaster because i already played GOW 3 . 

This way everyone can decide what they think they can put in (stacking / remaster / language) . And you dont need an admin /mod who is doing all the sorting work !

Oh and of cause you could use the Tab also for favorite games .

• Like 2

What if everyone can create his own series tabs for them self .  Like an Premium feature?  so I want all God of war in same series TAB  except the remaster because i already played GOW 3 . 

This way everyone can decide what they think they can put in (stacking / remaster / language) . And you dont need an admin /mod who is doing all the sorting work !

Oh and of cause you could use the Tab also for favorite games .

That would somehow lessen the 'value' or 'purpose', if you will.

Like, being able to decide on your own that you have 100% in a game without completing the DLCs.

Edited by Doctor Doom
  • Like 2

First of all, who decides what game is part of a series (example: Uncharted Golden Abyss should be counted in the Uncharted series? What about Batman Arkham Origins?).

Why wouldn't Uncharted Golden Abyss be counted? It's an Uncharted game.

I don't know enough about the Batman series, though.

I was originally going to name the thread Franchise Tracking. Would that have been a better idea?

Would you include multiple version of the game if they have different trophy list?

Would you include different regions?

Would you include remasters?

Would you include remakes?

Yes to all of them, especially remakes as they're essentially brand new games.

But in the case of multiple lists being the same, I thought maybe it could only require one of each list when counting towards 100%, with duplicates only appearing as a bonus. The way Project Platinum does it.

Of course there are some games that share trophy lists but not necessarily unlock requirements because of things like added content, like Sleeping Dogs DE and Dark Souls II SOTFS, but I believe those are relatively rare. Personally I'd choose to prioritise the list that requires the added content, as somebody who did the easier list wouldn't have experienced the series in its entirety.

I don't have the deciding vote though, if it happens and people don't want it like that then it doesn't have to be.

A series checklist would just be nice and I'm not too bothered about how it's implemented as long as it makes sense. This is just how I think it should be.

What about DLCs?

Yes, a series isn't complete if you don't have all the trophies for it.

And last but not least, who the heck is gonna upkeep such a thing?

I'm not sure, but after the initial work is done, it shouldn't be too much work to put future games into series. Maybe less than finding and adding the banner artwork to games, and it'll only be needed for less than half of the games that are released

But I could be talking nonsense because I don't know a thing about programming

I started making a list of every game and series before I made this thread. It isn't finished though since I didn't know how people would react to the idea.

There is quite a lot, but having that list might make it easier on whoever would have to do it, so I could complete it if needed

Edited by Shadiochao
  • Like 2

I vote for Sly to edit both Modern Warfare lists to include Call of Duty at the start like the rest. That would be better suited and make more sense. Its what is says on the cover after all.  

I agree and all...but my copy of Modern Warfare 2 actually only says Modern Warfare 2 on the cover. http://collectorsedition.org/uploads/2009/07/call_of_duty_modern_warfare_2_hardened_edition_xbox_360_pal_activision_10.jpg

There was a certain user that tried to promote that site here, recruit our members, said profane things about sly and this site, etc. Long story short: TT is a taboo thibg to talk about.

Well yeah, sure, that's pretty fucking douchey. But Google doesn't tell you to shut up if you go looking for Bing...not that anyone would go looking for Bing. Anyways, cheers for the answer, I genuinely didn't know if there was a reason or not.

• Like 3